All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:21 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Forge World open day news
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:43 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I fail to see what's wrong with event only models. Did you miss that the event only models are likely to just be reposes? If you already have 3 Gandalfs, you know just how useless it is to have multiple posts of a single character.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:38 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
Michaelc wrote:
And for those people who don't live within reasonable distance of either a GW event or a GW store?

Horrible, horrible idea from the POV of marketing the game and GW making money by cutting off a large part of your potential market and making them bitter they can't get shiny new things.

Now if you wanted to make new models available weeks ahead of time at events before being released to the public then that would be reasonable.

No offense intended but youre absolutely incorrect.

or [C]-make them website exclusives(not really exclusive at all)

...Option C gives it to everyone .

By going from A to B you exponentially increase the chance for profits. Same going to C.

???

So in other words I'm "absolutely incorrect" for saying they'll make less money by only making a product available to a fraction of their market (either people who can attend events or can visit a GW store) than what they currently do now - make it available to everyone via the website...

...and your counter argument is doing what they currently do now (C) - make it available to everyone via the website will "exponentially increase profits" over event only models???

Confused at the point you're trying to make.

Quote:
I don't think a large portion of games workshop's Lord of the Rings profits come from people who aren't near their stores. Id bet on it.

Define "near".

I'd bet outside of the UK you'd be wrong. Out of ~30 regular players in our
group, 20 of them live at least an hour drive to the nearest GW. None of our local GWs still carry LotRs product.

You think it's not bad marketing to force people to drive a 1-2+ hour round trip out of their way just to pick up a single model, especially when the store doesn't carry anything else likely to tempt them to buy?

I'm confused? Why not just make it available on the web and allow people to shop at *their* convenience. As an added bonus they'll probably spend more money to get to the free shipping threshold. If you have something people want, why make it harder for them to get? You're not selling luxury cars...

Draugluin wrote:
I fail to see what's wrong with event only models. Did you miss that the event only models are likely to just be reposes? If you already have 3 Gandalfs, you know just how useless it is to have multiple posts of a single character.

And if you don't have 3 Gandalfs or the repose winds up being much better than the original(s) and you *want to give GW money for it* how is it in their interest to say, "nope, sorry, keep your money, we don't want to make more profit"?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:41 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I don't live reasonably close to a GW store either. It's 1.5 hrs one way to my store. I will go there about once every 6 months, since it's on the way to my doctor's office. I haven't spent much there lately either, just some paints. Last time I was in, they had a section of popular boxed sets and the main rule book, and they still had a large display case of LotR minis, many of which were out of print. (One of the highlights is a Gollum on a rock painted like Spiderman.)

I would go to the store and play games, a special mini doesn't need to entice me to get there. :P If they were to organize a tourney in good weather months, I'd likely go. We have such a small network of players in Calgary that I would consider it a social networking event to exchange phone numbers and get together to play on some cool boards. Event-only scenarios and profiles might be cool, kind of like the Warhammer war scrolls. Here's a print-out of your special scenario rules, you can take them home to replay the battles. I really like the idea of early release models and books though.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:56 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Michaelc wrote:
Michaelc wrote:
And for those people who don't live within reasonable distance of either a GW event or a GW store?

Horrible, horrible idea from the POV of marketing the game and GW making money by cutting off a large part of your potential market and making them bitter they can't get shiny new things.

Now if you wanted to make new models available weeks ahead of time at events before being released to the public then that would be reasonable.

No offense intended but youre absolutely incorrect.

or [C]-make them website exclusives(not really exclusive at all)

...Option C gives it to everyone .

By going from A to B you exponentially increase the chance for profits. Same going to C.

???

So in other words I'm "absolutely incorrect" for saying they'll make less money by only making a product available to a fraction of their market (either people who can attend events or can visit a GW store) than what they currently do now - make it available to everyone via the website...

...and your counter argument is doing what they currently do now (C) - make it available to everyone via the website will "exponentially increase profits" over event only models???

Confused at the point you're trying to make.

Your point said they shouldnt sell it in stores because thats bad business.

Your quote:

===================
Your point was in reaction to taking the models from exclusive events in some stores to selling them in ALL stores. Saying thats bad business is literally the opposite of what would happen.

Why are you confused?

Selling them in all stores as opposed to events is obviously a money making idea.

As for the webstore thats a suggestion that everyone would benefit from instead of special releases.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:15 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yeah special events in United States would mean taking a flight or long distance bus and hotel fare to get a mini. No way is any new pose worth that.

But how to make it special and make money. Simple.
"For a limited time, spend $100 on lot or hobbit sbg models and receive this special edition gandalf the Herald as a bonus gift." And just like that, special edition, limited time, and increase sales all in one.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:38 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I agree and some of GW's policies when it comes to certain FW/Open Day/Event blah blah when they sell special minis is a whole load of bs.

It's simply not practical and in some causes almost impossible for certain customers to even get a chance to buy that mini, possibly one of the only ways around it would be for example...someone living in the uk...stopping into WW and buying the land raider kit there, then shipping it to a friend. I'm sure this has been done but it's another matter if its an event only and the mini is for example one per customer or so on.

These sorts of situations GW really just encourages and supports a re seller market, it also defeats the purpose of the mini. You can still do "limited" but allow all to have a chance to at least purchase it, if it sells out on a website hey np that's acceptable....but to cut off a huge portion of loyal and a smaller customer base is a load of bs.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:14 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Draugluin wrote:

I agree with this if that's the case. If it's just a fluffy re-skin of a preexisting model, I don't see the big whup. It's specially made for the event and those who go always have a little a reminder.

The problem is if it's a new model. Like if the Dwarf Crossbows (which sound awesome) or Gundubad Berserkers were the event models, I'd be royally [word deleted]. Maybe if they gave them out early, to be available for everyone later, that would be alright.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:56 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I agree if they are unique models, but at this point it's way too early to complain about this.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:36 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Your point said they shouldnt sell it in stores because thats bad business.

Your quote:

===================
Your point was in reaction to taking the models from exclusive events in some stores to selling them in ALL stores. Saying thats bad business is literally the opposite of what would happen.

If you had read the post immediately above mine you'd see my point was NOT in reaction to selling them in ALL stores, it was to making it **EXCLUSIVE *** to Stores.

Mapper wrote:
Instead of "event only models", they should make them GW store only models and drive some traffic into their stores.

By all means sell it in stores. Sell it at events. Sell it at an exclusive pre-release at either to promote your stores. But don't exclude and annoy a percentage of your market by not releasing at some point through the sales channel (website) that they would prefer to deal with you.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:56 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I agree, sell them to the widest market possible. What I was saying before (and poorly) was if they were to make them exclusive, my thought was that gw store only would be better than event only.

Do we need another pose of a character? It depends, Gimli sitting on the back of the orc may not be needed in a game but it sure is a cool pose.

As said before, it is probably too early to complain about all this, but what the heck, that is what we do best. :-)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:26 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hm

In my opinion "most" of the hobbit profiles are more balanced, than lotr profiles...

There are only a few models, that are too good for der point-costs...

but in lotr there are many, many profiles that are to strong or to cheap...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:31 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Some other exciting news!!

http://warhammerworld.games-workshop.co ... es-double/

Quote:
September 17th and 18th is a very exciting time for fans of The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey™: Strategy Battle Game, as Warhammer World not only hosts the Doubles Campaign Weekend: Towards the Lonely Mountain, but also Games Workshop’s Middle-earth team will be at the event.

Both Jay Clare and Adam Troke (authors of the forthcoming Thjay adame Hobbit: Motion Picture Trilogy™ There and Back Again) will be participating in the event itself, and on Saturday night, they’ll be making a small presentation about their upcoming book, what to expect from the team in the near future… and perhaps a short Q&A if time allows!

Not only that, but if you attend, you’ll have the chance to see some of the latest work-in-progress models from the talented hands of Keith Robertson, Gavin Newton and Rob Macfarlane. Like the one below…
Click to: Show

AND FINALLY…

Finally, and perhaps most importantly of all, there will be a very limited stock of an old favourite kit from the Citadel The Lord of The Rings™ range on sale on the day. We can’t confirm WITCH kit it might be just yet, the FATES are still aligning, but when everything is FINALised, we’ll be sure to let you know.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:18 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Other news
Quote:
The Middle-earth™ team is delighted to confirm that the much loved ‘Final Fate of the Witch-king’ (see right) will be making its welcome return at The Hobbit: The Battle of The Five Armies™ Doubles Campaign Weekend: Towards the Lonely Mountain on Saturday 17th – Sunday 18th September! Please note that this set will not be available on the webstore following the event, but may be available at the Warhammer World store and other events in the future.

There will only be a limited stock of 100 sets available over the weekend, so if you want to be amongst the first to have the chance to buy a copy of this classic Citadel kit, be sure to make your way down to Warhammer World on the 17th-18th September for our Doubles Weekend!

News of the rise of the Witch-king has spread, and a band of noble heroes are beginning to muster in order to protect their lands against this dark threat. Only time will tell who these brave DEFENDERS may turn out to be…

link: http://warhammerworld.games-workshop.co ... dle-earth/
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:11 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Maybe a hint for the Defenders of Rohan set? I always wanted one of those

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:22 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Man Games Workshop is really pulling out all the stops. So cool. They're re releasing 100 is it? units of a model I've always wanted to the thousands of us.....in another continent.

I'm really excited for that set of toes they're previewing for us too!!

My goodness I can't wait. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:35 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Scib wrote:
Maybe a hint for the Defenders of Rohan set? I always wanted one of those

Yeah i think they could be, the DEFENDERS hint is evident!!

But im much more waiting for the new releases (who owns that foot? :-D ) and the new line of product that should incorporate lotr and the hobbit under the single ensign of "Middle Earth"... im really curious to see what will happen, if the products will stay on main gw site or trasfer to Forge World, what miniatures will remain, etc!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:51 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Man Games Workshop is really pulling out all the stops. So cool. They're re releasing 100 is it? units of a model I've always wanted to the thousands of us.....in another continent.

I agree, this type of behavior from GW is totally without merit. There are not any GW events in the US anymore.
Way to go Middle Earth team, makes me really want to purchase GW items. Oh wait, can't do that, limited to 100 and only at warhammer world, in the UK. Good plan team, good plan.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:57 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Mmm i can understand your disappointment but this events only are only for "remake"(for me are more unsold stock, i don't think they are re-printing it) of some old miniature/box.

The new middle earth team are working on new things, i will judge them on that not on this event where they sold old things, i don't give that much relevance.

But i repeat i understand the disappointment especially if someone is really interested in them!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:28 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Jobu wrote:

I agree, this type of behavior from GW is totally without merit. There are not any GW events in the US anymore.
Way to go Middle Earth team, makes me really want to purchase GW items. Oh wait, can't do that, limited to 100 and only at warhammer world, in the UK. Good plan team, good plan.

Basically man. It's a spit in the face.

I've been saving up money for hobby stuff most of the year instead of spending it frivolously and GW constantly has me second guessing if I want to support them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:12 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Or, you know, just wait a while and see what happens.

A few months ago, there was nothing, no support whatsoever. Miniatures were disappearing from the webstore left, right and centre, including those that were vital to make certain armies playable in the game. Since then, we've seen a number of these (and others that have been out of production for much longer) re-appear. There are new figures on the horizon, a new book (and more to come). The team responsible has been involved in the community online and on tournaments, sharing information and giving regular updates. None of this chimes with "GW's" behaviour in the past. Nobody expected anything of the sort even mere months ago. So maybe, just maybe, wait a bit longer, and see in what other ways they may behave differently now. They may well visit shows nearby. Or release another figure only available for that appearance near you. Or offer the figures for sale online on the same day it would be available on an event. And even if not, event-only models are hardly a new thing: it's just that GW never did them for LotR before (as far as I remember).

It's good for them to know people are interested in these figures though, so be sure to let them know - it's just that I would reserve judgement until we have more information on which to judge the new team and their actions.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next