All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:01 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: GW Price Rise
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

gaarew wrote:
So, how does that explain Mantic retiring their set of 5 metal Wraiths for £14, and releasing a new set of 10 plastic resin Wraiths for £14?

:O Gaarew, those minis are GORGEOUS! Personally I love GW's Barrow Wights, but the lack of diversity (only 2 sculpts!) and the price has made me hesitant to make a Company of them for WoTR. Visually these look like they would fit in nicely, but how are they scale-wise?

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:48 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
The internet is on fire with so many angry gamers, a lot of what is going around is actually wrong.

That is always true. GW has a long standing reputation for making gamers angry. People are willing to believe the worst.That is absolutely GW's fault.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:55 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Lord Hurin wrote:
gaarew wrote:
So, how does that explain Mantic retiring their set of 5 metal Wraiths for £14, and releasing a new set of 10 plastic resin Wraiths for £14?

:O Gaarew, those minis are GORGEOUS! Personally I love GW's Barrow Wights, but the lack of diversity (only 2 sculpts!) and the price has made me hesitant to make a Company of them for WoTR. Visually these look like they would fit in nicely, but how are they scale-wise?

Pretty much bang on. The metal ones are quite slight compared to LotR models, but as they are wispy wisps of armour and decayed cloth it doesn't make them look out of place.

Check my alternative Angmar thread to see what I'm planning, as I'll be using them for Barrow-wights myself.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:16 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
I'll be using them for Barrow-wights myself.

I am going to add some too :!:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:21 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

gaarew wrote:
Pretty much bang on. The metal ones are quite slight compared to LotR models, but as they are wispy wisps of armour and decayed cloth it doesn't make them look out of place.

Check my alternative Angmar thread to see what I'm planning, as I'll be using them for Barrow-wights myself.

Oh, Bravo! I see mine being similar, with Wargames Factory and Gripping Beast Vikings as Barbarians of Carn-Dum, Wargames Factory and GW Orcs, Mantic Wraiths as Wights and a mix of GW and other manufacturers' models as Spectres. I have GW Nazgul and Army of the Dead already, so I may as well use those. If I decide to add a second Formation of Ghostly Legion, I'll probably get the Mantic Skellies though...

Damn it, this has gotten me all abuzz for my Angmar army!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:09 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Viva la revolutionne!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:30 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Lord Hurin wrote:
SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
There could be a lotr release from gw to coincide with the war in the north video game to be released at the end of this year...

Is the game about the sieges of Erebor and Lorien? If so, then I can't think of anything they need to add for Elves, Dwarves, Mordor or Fallen Kingdoms...

No, its about A ranger, an elven wizard, and a dwarven warrior campaigning against a warlock called "agandar" leading armies out of angmar and moria to attack rivendell and arnor, it looks frekin' sweet! And if gw did a release to coincide with it i would be very happy. Here is the "story" trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5ySDehGEYE
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Here is another story trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zaMqE_eAuA&NR=1&feature=fvwp

And here is some gameplay footage, which actually looks like it would really fit into the skirmish game, i think it woul be really cool to see 3 customizable hero options for each character, being put through a trail of trolls and goblins in an upcoming gw supplement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f49KICKr2dM
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:30 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

chariots, elf knights, catapults... all missing from the elven range
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

cereal_theif wrote:
chariots, elf knights, catapults... all missing from the elven range

Those units aren't in WoTR so I highly doubt we'll see them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:48 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

do you guys actually... like mantic minis

Mordor-ob bot-tuk
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:03 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Raukov wrote:

On what grounds? As minis, I think they're all nice. Some better than others, but still you get a hell of a lot better value for money than with GW's minis. Do I like them mixed in with GW LotR minis? Well, I don't think their Elves and Dwarves would mix well but those Undead look like they could add some great variety to an Angmar force.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:23 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Raukov wrote:

I gotta be honest...for the most part, no, I don't...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:13 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Raukov wrote:

Yeah. I've bought over 2000 in the last year...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:15 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
Raukov wrote:do you guys actually... like mantic minis

That is a relative question. I play more than one game. I like some of mantic figures a lot.Manic is a new company and seem to be reliable. I am not a fan of plastic figures period. Mantic figures seem to be well above average. The new Orcs blend better with my older metal figures than the current plastic range from GW. The Undead and Dwarf dogs are very nice.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:42 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Lord Hurin wrote:
SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
There could be a lotr release from gw to coincide with the war in the north video game to be released at the end of this year...

Is the game about the sieges of Erebor and Lorien? If so, then I can't think of anything they need to add for Elves, Dwarves, Mordor or Fallen Kingdoms...

There are some beautiful new movie-inspired designs involved, however. Those would make splendid additions to the range. How-and-ever, back when Decipher released gorgeous cards for their old LOTR card game, with WETA created designs for characters not in the movie, GW ignored said images and made their own mediocre interpretations. Fair enough - they didn't want to pay the licensing fees, but the results were a bit mediocre.

Can you imagine the sons of Elrond in late third age armour, as sculpted by the guy who did the Heroes of Helm's Deep series? Be nice.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:05 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Good point, i doubt gw will want to pay warner bros for licensing fees to make war in the north mini's, which also means because it isn't an EA game if they do release something for it, it will not include old favorites from lord of the rings: the third age like elegost, idrial and hadhod :(
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:28 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I haven't bought anything in GW for about 3 years now but I had a quick look on the GW website the other day just to see what was new and the extent of the price rises took me by surprise.

I remember the box sets of warriors being £15 for 24 figures (think it was even £12 at one point) and now in some cases its £20.50 for only 20 figures (like the Easterling set). Some do still have 24 figures, such as the Mordor Orcs, but nevertheless.

Obviously I expected some kind of rise after all this time but that is a huge rise (in proportion to the previous price I quoted) in a relatively short space of time. Its a shame as I wouldn't have minded picking up one of the plastic Fell Beasts, which is a new model since I last went in a GW (the plastic troll kit looks interesting too), but I just can't justify £36 for a relatively small kit.

I've got a decent collection as it is so if I want to get back into the hobby again I may just repaint some of my most poorly painted models. I genuinely feel for anyone who is just starting out with their collection. It was expensive when I started about 8-9 years ago but nothing like as bad as this.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:05 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yeah I agree, as most would, that this will kill the GW hobby. Yeah maybe WHFB & 40K will survive but in my local area already a good amount of people gave up and sold their army off and switched to Hordes/Warmachine. This definetely kills Lotr in my opinion, the prices + the amount of models needed for a competitive army for what's now their main Lotr game Wotr. Also Wotr being mediocre compared to WH, I prefer the SBG system. No it's very hard for new comers to come into the GW hobby now, it sucks. They'll just go to Privateer or Mantic now.

By the way it shows that you've been out of the hobby for three years. 15 posts since 2008... Welcome back then wayfarer.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:24 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I doubt that Games Workshop will die outright, but they are certainly damaging themselves. As I've said elsewhere, emerging cheaper competition in a niche market of luxury items means that they have to play a fine line between increasing price and increasing sales - in a recessional period, it simply makes it even more difficult and price increases become generally more detrimental in such a case.

Regardless, with warhammer, a basic starting army (of about 1,000pts) costs a minimum of £88, including army book and not the rulebook. Not the cheapest way to start and doesn't include clippers, glue or paints (kind of integral as well). Add up everything you need as a new player to start the game: ~£173.75
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next