All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:44 am

Post subject: Re: GW Price Rise
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

That is true too about Warhammer, but one thing I'll say for that game is that at least GW puts out better starter sets. Like the Island of Blood, and they still have their army box sets. Too bad GW mostly neglects Lotr now these days, no army box sets anymore and they're one and only game introductory was Mines of Moria. Nothing for Wotr.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I agree with that... A started set for Wotr must be releashed...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:41 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

They should've released it as soon as WOTR came out.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:34 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Actually, army boxes are no longer available, although "expansion" boxes are. Buy one, a character, your rules and your ready.

However, the MoM box can be used to start a Moria army (3 companies of Goblins, plus a Cave Troll) and gives you The Fellowship, The Three Hunters and their constituent parts, which means you have the commander for any of the good armies, plus allies.

Still, a starter set would be good, but it would be difficult - which armies and how many companies? Also, characters would need to be included - so which ones? (Maybe start a new thread with what we think are good ideas regarding these points?) Movement trays?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:20 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Sacrilege83 wrote:
Yeah I agree, as most would, that this will kill the GW hobby. Yeah maybe WHFB & 40K will survive but in my local area already a good amount of people gave up and sold their army off and switched to Hordes/Warmachine. This definetely kills Lotr in my opinion, the prices + the amount of models needed for a competitive army for what's now their main Lotr game Wotr. Also Wotr being mediocre compared to WH, I prefer the SBG system. No it's very hard for new comers to come into the GW hobby now, it sucks. They'll just go to Privateer or Mantic now.

By the way it shows that you've been out of the hobby for three years. 15 posts since 2008... Welcome back then wayfarer.

Yeah I suppose it does!

Its definitely harder for newcomers to the game but I'm sure GW will continue as ever, purely because no-one else is going to be able to get the licensing to produce a rival LOTR tabletop product and people like the authenticity of the models.

I haven't played WOTR but from reading a couple of articles to me it seems that its a way of forcing players into fielding more models (which obviously costs more, especially with movement trays and new rules as well).

Some of the larger sets don't seem to have jumped up as much though, I paid £50 for a Mumakil several years ago and its now £51.25. I suppose increasing those sets too much would put people right off buying them more than they already are.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I walked into a GW store today, looked at all the Failcost stuff none of which I have and still walked out empty handed. About a month ago, I picked up the old Halbarad with banner, a Hasharin, a blister of Haldir's Elves and Boromir of Gondor on horseback all for around $35. Now I couldn't even get most of that stuff on its' own. I'd have to get plastic Elves, Boromir ft&mtd (already have the foot version) and Halbarad with Arathorn (whose model I'm not fond of) so not only did I come out way ahead dollar-wise, I got stuff I wanted rather than being conned into getting stuff I don't need.

So guys, the stuff is out there for the price you want to pay. Be patient, buy used, and reduce your backlog in the meantime. This is one hell of a fun game and hobby, so don't give it up! Carry it on under your terms, not GW's!

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:35 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Well i just had a laugh / shock today. While going to find a bit of extra work before Christmas i went into my local Hobbycraft which stocks LOTR GW products only to find that they have 24 model boxed sets at £16.50, not £20.50. They only had about 5-6 of them but they were all at £16.50 and 6 model cavalry sets were at £15. I was so tempted to buy what was there just to get that better £4 off.

Saying that i usually go halves with other players, when i wanted a cheap load of Ork Boyz for an Ork force i just split a Black Reach starter set with another player, when i wanted only the Bow Armed Uruk Scouts i found another Isengard player and we split the cost for the models. I find it much easier that way, along with eBay and picking up spare models from my mates that collected BGiME issues with me.

'FireKnife'
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:47 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

You could always buy the boxes and then trade them on here for stuff you want - everyone wins!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:26 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

FireKnife wrote:
Well i just had a laugh / shock today. While going to find a bit of extra work before Christmas i went into my local Hobbycraft which stocks LOTR GW products only to find that they have 24 model boxed sets at £16.50, not £20.50. They only had about 5-6 of them but they were all at £16.50 and 6 model cavalry sets were at £15. I was so tempted to buy what was there just to get that better £4 off.

Saying that i usually go halves with other players, when i wanted a cheap load of Ork Boyz for an Ork force i just split a Black Reach starter set with another player, when i wanted only the Bow Armed Uruk Scouts i found another Isengard player and we split the cost for the models. I find it much easier that way, along with eBay and picking up spare models from my mates that collected BGiME issues with me.

'FireKnife'

My local Hobby Craft stopped selling GW products recently, otherwise it would be good for me to

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:31 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Well i have put on here if anyone wants to split a box, though may just lump it all on eBays shoulders and see if all the stuff i don't need goes.

'FireKnife'
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Lord Hurin wrote:
So guys, the stuff is out there for the price you want to pay. Be patient, buy used, and reduce your backlog in the meantime. This is one hell of a fun game and hobby, so don't give it up! Carry it on under your terms, not GW's!

++

I have been adding still via ebay and trade but am not buying anything new right now. Sadly, who's going to be hurt worse in my eyes is our local game store where we all play. Even though I’ve been able to better GW’s prices for years via online options, auctions, or buying used forces I have generally stuck to buying new through our LGS. He’s always cut great deals, obviously cutting into his already slim profits (there is NO ONE that is going to tell you a LGS is a serious profit making business… you do it as much from love as from a business plan) and I have wanted to support the store as well as I can. But I just can’t do that much any more and I feel really bad going in there. Thankfully anything he already had on his shelf prior to the latest price range he has left those at the previous price, so I have been taking some of that off his hands. But anything new he brings in I just can’t bring myself to pay it right now. The owner was even apologizing to us for the first few weeks after the price range whenever we came into the store.

So the price range is slowing down the growth of some of my forces, but not dramatically as I have other venues (and way too many already waiting to paint and play). But our LGS is really feeling the bite. Thankfully he does have other game systems than just GW’s but the younger crowd playing 40K is probably a big part of his regular revenue and I hope he doesn’t decide that the lost customers (and slowdown of new ones) is no longer worth the expenses.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com