All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:05 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Citadel finecast
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:30 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

An Australian summer easily about 30 degrees Celsius almost everyday so would getting some finecast models be wise for me?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:33 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Sorry I can't answer your question there but then I won't claim to be able to either. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:07 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hashut's Blessing wrote:
HeavySoul: Are your Finecast miniatures made of something different to the sprue? QAlso, there is a link to someone's blog who has said the same thing, it's been said on Warseer as well. If you read the thread, it's that the sprue was a somewhat-controlled experiment to test the theory that had been proved by others before hand to show what the effects were.

To those saying 10 hours in direct sunlight wouldn't happen, that may be, but an Australian Summer inside is easily more than 24 degrees centigrade and lasts longer than a mere 10 hours.

Lastly, the ones inhe store window are possibly protected by the paint (I doubt it), which would be an upside, but it may also be inconsistency with the resin/plastic blend.

Regardless, paying a premium price for something that has such a low warp-threshold is stupid when it's called Finecast.

I appreciate people are excited, but the bottom line is that some are refusing to acknowledge that there are ANY problems with the product. Personally, I see there are advantages (crisper modling, less paint-chipping and lighter cases as a result. Plus, generally more non-heroes per buy than before), but these are far outweighed by the disadvantages (the amount of miscasts, the price, the melting factor, the metal-resin models aren't substantially different [although new models made FOR resin are good])...

Hashut, I don't have any Finecast miniatures yet but I'm not put off by the "evidence" of this "controlled experiment" (I think we can probably agree that it was hardly performed under laboratory conditions). I think it is important to realise that whilst the sprue is made from the same material as the mini they are a different size and thickness so the experiment may not be representative of what would actually happen to a miniature. I'm not saying that the same thing wouldn't happen to a mini I'm saying that the "evidence" does not prove that it would.

I'm reserving judgement on whether or not there are actually issues with Finecast, I will probably buy the Aragorn or Boromir blister in the next week or so....... but before you ask I won't be trying to melt them in direct sunlight (not because I don't want to be proved wrong but because they are too bloody expensive here in NZ to melt prove a point!). :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:27 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The models may be a different size and thickness, but weapons and arms will be thinner and more prone to the warp. In normal use and situations I can't see a problem, the most likely event would be to leave your models in the car boot.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:54 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Isn't the solution obvious? Just move to a colder climate. :-D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

^We'll gladly accept Australians, Americans, or anyone else by that matter up in Canada. :)
Anyone really... except for the Dutch.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:38 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Sacrilege83 wrote:
^We'll gladly accept Australians, Americans, or anyone else by that matter up in Canada. :)

Hey, what's wrong with the Dutch :)?? Anyways, I didn't know about this warping untill now, and my Commissar Yarrick has been standing in my window for over a week now. It has been pretty hot over here (Belgium), but not a single sign of warping/melting. BUT, that does not mean that I don't believe it could happen, and I think I will get him out of there asap, because I don't want my model to warp/melt since it was expensive (for me :))

Blood Angels - 850+

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:07 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

While there's no DIRECT evidence to support the melting theory, the fact that the material melts/warps at a lower threshold than plastic is certainly a concern. When you're paying a premium for a resin model, better safe than sorry, no?

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:04 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Sacrilege83 wrote:

LOL, my ex is Dutch, and despite our history I have quite an affection for them. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:27 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

General Elessar wrote:
Isn't the solution obvious? Just move to a colder climate. :-D

I live in New Hampshire where our winters get into the range of -5F and the summers to +105F (-20 to +40 if my conversion is close). Though I don't suggest leaving models in direct exposure during any of that there are often times that they may sit in my car for several hours on occasion. So far I've never had metal or standard plastic models melt or warp, but it's something I am paranoid of at times. As long as finecast are at least as durable as GW's standard plastics then I doubt there would be any issues for 95% of the gaming population. But resin is not plastic and so I have to hold judgement on the thin weapons and such until I see for myself.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:15 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I will have to wait to later in the afternoon to work outside. How do you think the plastic will fair on my work table? I know it will melt in the car. I had to go inside the wood stain is drying before I can wipe it off.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:42 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Wow, you left it in the sun right??? :o

Blood Angels - 850+

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:00 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm originally from central Florida (and still have my extended family there for visits). I sympathize on the temps and humidity impact on modeling. Though as a youth growing up there I did find those same factors had positive impacts on wardrobe selections. :-)

http://TacticsInMiniature.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:02 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
Wow, you left it in the sun right???

Yes, that was the surface of the table. I got a phone call and left it there. I remembered it before it burst.It was a hundred in the shade and ninety in the house.I thought the air conditioner was broken. It has caught up with the temperature now-down to eighty.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:04 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Old Chestnut wrote:
Quote:
Wow, you left it in the sun right???

Yes, that was the surface of the table. I got a phone call and left it there. I remembered it before it burst.It was a hundred in the shade and ninety in the house.I thought the air conditioner was broken. It has caught up with the temperature now-down to eighty.

Wow, that's insane :) Could you send us here in Belgium some of your sun because it's really cold here :( But if you leave your models there in the sun... not much good will hapen to them :o

Blood Angels - 850+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:22 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I laugh at how often the Beasts of War guys call it FINECOST. And their recent interview with Mantic was quite illuminating; Mantic are switching some metals to plastic resin and you get double the number of minis at the same cost. Yes, DOUBLE! Now, Mantic are a growing, profit making company, and they are living in the same economic conditions as GW, so how come GW are charging so much more? And on top of that, the excessive amount of flash and the poor quality control (evidenced by miscasts, incomplete casts and material blending issues resulting in fragility and melting in some instances) - in any other enterprise, GW would soon be broke.

For everyones sake, GW, get your act together.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:45 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

My first (assembling) finecast experience:
http://wernershobbyblog.blogspot.com/2011/06/first-assembling-experience-with.html?m=0

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:14 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

werner wrote:

Nice to hear something positive about the Finecast for a change. :)

Last edited by General Elessar on Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:27 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

General Elessar wrote:
werner wrote:

Nice to something positive about the Finecast for a change. :)

I'm actually pretty happy with my highly detailed, not miscasted Commissar Yarrick. I think he has awesome detail and the small air-bubbles are easily filled with superglue.

Blood Angels - 850+

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:54 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Commissar Yarrick
Mine doesn't have holes because it is metal.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next