All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:43 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Citadel finecast
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:31 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

-_- :)
Mine has better detail xD

Blood Angels - 850+

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:51 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:

no it's an optical illusion :no: :P

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:29 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Old Chestnut wrote:
Quote:

And I paid more for that :sad:

Blood Angels - 850+

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:02 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Old Chestnut wrote:
Quote:

you are

Mordor-ob bot-tuk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:10 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
you are

Lost? What? :?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcatQSyRK6c

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:41 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I love Lost, but Stone Cold does it best.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UQ2ho7D ... re=related

And by the way, I don't think it's an optical illusion rather it is just a GW marketing gimmick, or does that all mean the same thing? Repeat the message enough times people will actually think it's true.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:20 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I love Lost, but Stone Cold does it best. :D :D :D

It is an optical illusion The fine cast figures are flat the metal is glossy. Make measurements and compare figures cast from new molds to figures cast from new molds. As the fine cast molds wear out the horror will truly begin.I have worked with resin models and molds for years longer than some of you have been alive.If you like fine cast buy them. Please don't tell me they are better and in the same sentence mention that they have air holes in them. :flower:

Kili I was making a general comment rather than picking at you :puppy:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:51 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

No problem :)
I was wondering, do you mean that the FC figures don't have higher quality or do you mean that they will get really undetailled?

Blood Angels - 850+

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:13 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
you mean that the FC figures don't have higher quality or do you mean that they will get really undetailled?

I think the quality of the cast are about the same as metal if the cast turn out ok. Fine Cast's quality control is poor. I also was pointing out that resin is very hard on molds. As the molds wear there will be lots more flaws. If you can inspect the model before you buy it I think resin may be better for some of the large multi part models.I think it will generally be inferior for single part models.
Now that I have had a chance to handle GW's new find cast material. I would like to point out that this is not a new product. These very old OOP figures were made from similar materials years ago. Notice that even though they were stored in a climate controlled room they have begun to droop from gravity alone. I will put them in some warm water to repose them. Sadly over the years they have oxidized and are quite brittle.They were very cheep and my fiends and I purchased hundreds. I have some goblins as well. The cast were cheep enough to over look many of the flaws.
I added some figures for scale. Figures in this size are very expensive in metal. They were 20% of the cost of metal at the time they were produced.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:30 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I dropped in to my local GW to have a look for myself at some Finecast minis 'in the flesh' - the store guy was enthusiastic about them and got out a couple of examples for me to hold and note how (and I quote) "crisp" they were. I mentioned my concerns about their brittleness and he was very positive about the type of resin and how flexible it is, bending a 40K figure's axe handle to prove it.

It snapped.

I didn't laugh or make any snorting noises or anything!

It wasn't a fair test though because there's no way you'd do that with a plastic or metal model anyway. But it was pretty funny.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:03 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

LOL what was his reaction to the snapping?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:31 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Ha! Over-eager salespeople are funny, no matter what your opinion on the product may be.

I will withhold judgment as the new material's fragility until I have had a chance to work with it firsthand.

I am fairly gentle with my miniatures. I give them a good coat of varnish once painted, so as to withstand the rigors of gaming, but otherwise they are neatly stored in foam trays and plastic bins with drawers. I would think that if the new Finecast minis are treated with the same care that they would stand up just fine, but time will tell.

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:08 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

hi, just thought i would throw in my 2pence... new to the lotr sbg, not played a game yet but about 16+ years ago i was an avid warhammer player.

ill throw in an introduction at some point however my experience so far as a whole:

The cost is too high in my opinion if they are trying to attract new people to the hobby, however the incredibly hard/enthusiastic sell in the shop i received would probably work wonders on a kid who would then in turn become the salesman to the parent... Shop assistant was talking about the new finecast range like it was the best thing since Gotrek and Felix. I was dubious and as i hadnt got a clue what to collect for an army i thought i would just go on what i liked the look of, so, 20 uruks and the fellowship in finecast. We will skip over the cost :sad:

Bare in mind ive not painted anything for 14 years i set to work on the uruk and frodo not right at the same time but over the same day (both sprayed chaos black as basecoat).

First impression from the finecast was the bendy base/slot, and overall flex of the character in comparison to the uruk, however the detail even on something as small frodo was incredible, looking at the pair of them from under the shoulder the uruk has no detail, his arm/wrist guard/armour are all one and there is a line on the mould, where as on frodo i kept spotting more and more detail, id say the surface 'felt' more porous and eager to take paint without losing detail as well though this maybe a painting style thing?

I keep my models in an airing cupboard, due to a pair of what i refer to as beasts and my better half would call cats, i am concerned about finecast in this condition and will change where they are stored, hopefully the heat wont damage them beyond repair.

It is dissapointing as a returning 'want to be' gamer to this franchise to see all the negative comments i hope my experience improves and that some of the issues are just teething problems.

In hindsight i should have probably brought the moria starter pack but hey ho, finecast gandalf is next on the list :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:19 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm just going to add one more thing: Although I have serious concerns (as expressed strongly and multiple times) about Finecast, I retract the strength with which I have them. In the sake of fairness, Games Workshop do replace faulty models and let you keep the old one, so you essentially get two. The price pretty much reflects the likelihood of getting two if that helps to justify it.

I also think that it's personally a concern rather than a problem. I still reserve all of my previously mentioned concerns (possibility of warping, the air bubbles etc), but the only one that remains in a state of preventing me from buying is the possibility of warping.

Lastly, my problem is that it's called Finecast when there have been so many reports of problems.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:30 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hashut's Blessing wrote:
In the sake of fairness, Games Workshop do replace faulty models and let you keep the old one, so you essentially get two. The price pretty much reflects the likelihood of getting two if that helps to justify it.

They replaced my Daemon Prince, and took back the original one...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:09 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

You can ask to keep the old one...
So far ive 5 morgul knights, arwen ft and mount, 3 men at arms, and a box of galadhrim
All due to their returns policy.
BTW this stuff was bought over 6 years and alot of cash so its not that every box i bought was broke.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:53 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Quote:
So far ive 5 morgul knights, arwen ft and mount, 3 men at arms, and a box of galadhrim
BTW this stuff was bought over 6 years and alot of cash so its not that every box i bought was broke.

How could you have bought the men at arms, galadhrim and morgul knights over 6 years ago when they were all released at 2008/2009?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:51 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Sticky Fingersss wrote:
Quote:

How could you have bought the men at arms, galadhrim and morgul knights over 6 years ago when they were all released at 2008/2009?

Think he means over a span of 6 years rather than 6 years ago :)

As for Finecast, I have been hoovering ebay for the metal figures I want before they all vanish into the abyss. I am not a fan of the finecast even though the detail is marginally sharper. The fact that I can scrape off the mould lines with a finger nail as suggested by a GW staff member (can the detail be as fragile as that?) is countered by the fact I have to fill airbubbles and deal with potential warpage. I may pick up the Troll Chieftan only because it will be easier to convert than the metal version but I prefer the 'lumpyness' of the pewter figures. I still say hybrid figures that have metal and resin components is the way to go though. Best of both worlds

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:18 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
I still say hybrid figures that have metal and resin components is the way to go though. Best of both worlds

I had a feathered serpent model made by a long gone company that had a metal body and this type of resin wings. The wings broke off so many times I finally made bullets out of the model. The wings did not come off at the joint like a metal model might. They broke over and over in different places.The resin and metal Flames of war models are a pain as well. They are small enough that it is not much of a problem but resin and plastic is less of a problem than resin and tin. Resin bodies and plastic small parts might be nice but why not all plastic instead. That was a rhetorical question. The answer is cost.
Don't any of you remember the metal body's with plastic arms and weapons? :?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:38 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Old Chestnut wrote:
Quote:
Don't any of you remember the metal body's with plastic arms and weapons? :?

Come on now, they aren't THAT old...

Where's my zimmer?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next