All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:12 am

Post subject: Re: A good sign
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:41 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
As for your comment about filling gaps, a gap is not the same as warping. Granted, warping was a significant problem with metals but in my experience it's been easy to fix without needing heat. Plastics have never been badly warped (ie, bent) in my experiences.

You are correct.The nature of the mold maternal causes some larger metal models to warp.Some filling and pining is generally necessary with every ones models.
Quote:
Plastics have never been badly warped (ie, bent) in my experiences.

This is generally true and you are correct. Warping is generally limited to large sized kits like aircraft carrier hulls or the notorious Star Trek Starship nacelles. Generally warm water and some rubber bands are all that is needed. A gap as large as 1/16 is considered a defect on a 18 inch long model.Even a small amount of sanding and filling will result in major criticism. You should not have to fill a plastic horse at all. A 1/4 inch gap is a defect. A 1/8 inch gap is very poor quality. One half can of wood filler would be excessive filling.You should not have to use green stuff on a plastic kit unless you want to modify it in some way.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:53 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I appreciate that you think I'm doing my damnedest to defend Finecast, however, I was probably one of the most vocal people and describing its problems when it first came out and was often blasted for that. I am actually genuinely just trying to give the other side of the evaluation - I agree with everything you've said, but I think it's only fair to say its good points as well ;)

I doubt that everything will become Finecast because the plastics are just as cheap to my knowledge and they seem to be bringing out a fair number of new characters (at least for Warhammer) out in plastic.

Let us forget the anger thing though because it's entirely plausible that I was also being oversensitive ;)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:21 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hey, playing Devil's Advocate isn't easy. That doesn't mean it isn't an important role, though. I went to a GW yesterday and took a good look at the FInecast. Although I didn't buy anything I saw suitably impressed enough that I WOULD if something I needed came out. I attribute this largely to the people on this forum, who are urging people not to dismiss it out of hand. ;)

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:44 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm looking forward to getting a Troll Chief in FC in the next couple months. I'm not overly surprised by the quality issues with the first few runs, and not surprised that they seem to be getting it in check. I'm glad the info here slowed down my impulse to grab one right away, and likewise glad that there are enough people posting positive experiences with the line to believe it may be good for the future. I will miss the weight and feel of metals, especially big things like Trolls, but I am looking forward to working with the FC which has to be easier than drilling, pinning, and modifying metal. 8)

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:15 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yeah.. The metal most good meory is it's weight... :(
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:21 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

In the case of metal's weight, I would agree, but the difference in weight between a metal and plastic trolll, makes me dislike the plastic ones too much, so I think resin would be a nice change as I wouldn't hate the plastic ones as much. But in the case of infantry including command, lighter is better IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:33 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
I wouldn't hate the plastic ones as much. But in the case of infantry including command, lighter is better IMO.

I saw some Warhammer standards in fine cast . They looked ok. I did not have my reading glasses I can not be sure. I did not consider them because of the cost. In that case lighter would be better. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:22 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Yes, command troops are something I may consider n finecast (i hate their ridiculous prices though), ATM, the only models they have are one I have in metal or ones I don't want.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:13 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Nepenthe wrote:
Sacrilege83 wrote:
If you guys are seeing 24 hours, then something must be at odds with the website or the Canadian page at least. I'll place a damn order anyway and if I don't receive it in two months I'll cancel.

It shows different times based on the location where it's shipped from. I (and I assume the others) would get our stuff sent from Lenton, so it's showing 24h.

That said, the Mouth of Sauron was at 4-6 weeks and suddenly went to 24h. I'll know next week if it's due to getting finecast or something else...

Well, the set I got (the Nine, Mouth, Khamul and Betrayer) were still all real metal. Now Black Guard and Siege Bows next month, fingers crossed my luck doesn't run out. :wink: