All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:46 am

Post subject: Re: Intellectual Property(IP) and GW
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:30 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I used to work for GW (again, please don't hold it against me...) and the way we ran it was that if it was a GW model, or made/converted FROM a GW model, you were good to go - especially if there was no model currently made for the particular profile. If it was another company's model (Reaper, etc.) then no, it could not be used. I personally overlooked a model or two here and there in a larger army...but generally, if it was scratch built from Green Stuff or some other modeling material, more power to you! We had one guy who scratch built a few land raiders and dreadnoughts that looked as good, if not better than the Citadel one, and his stegadons were freaking AMAZING. He sculpted them himself from Sculpy (not sure how to spell it) modelling putty.

I did have to call shenanigans on one customer using all Robotech Battleoid models for Tau Battlesuits though once.

Our general rule was that if it was made/converted from GW parts, or scratch built, you could use it. If it was made from another company's model or another company's model altogether it was frowned upon.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:14 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

To be honest, If I was running a shop which purpose was to get customers to buy MY products, I wouldn't allow other companies to come in. There is a difference between a gaming club and a GW. GWs are for GW games....
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:50 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Since I promised it earlier. Here's a link to my battle report:

viewtopic.php?f=2&p=249933#p249933

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:03 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Sticky Fingersss wrote:
To be honest, If I was running a shop which purpose was to get customers to buy MY products, I wouldn't allow other companies to come in. There is a difference between a gaming club and a GW. GWs are for GW games....

I completely agree - however, if they don't make a model, but have a profile (e.g. the Werewolf for War of the Ring), then there should be absolutely no issue with them allowing a conversion made from Warg parts and Green Stuff. No, I would not have allowed a unit of Reaper or Mantic figures, that's different.

On the same subject, say I do not care at all for the cave troll model that GW makes, and I really like the pose of the Warhammer troll from the old Skull Pass set. There should also be no problem with me using that as a basis for a conversion for a LoTR troll. Now, with the licensing agreement with New Line, my troll would not be eligible for photograph/publication. But if I was given a hard time about using a Citadel based miniature in a GW store... :no: I'd not be a happy person.

For example, I had one customer who was scratch building an entire Tyranid Hive Fleet for Battlefleet Gothic out of bitz. Again, no issue. However, there was one cusstomer who brought in Helicopter models to represent Valkyries. We could not allowed him to use them because they were not Citadel models, nor were they converted from Citadel models. They were nicely painted, and we told him so, but also asked him to put them away for the reasons stated.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:29 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Elland has said both how it should be and how it is - if they try to claim otherwise, it's false.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:35 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well said Elland! :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:47 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Wait, Scarpeiron, I've got to ask. Were you playing in a tournament, or were you just playing with friends on a table and they kicked you out?