All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:00 am

Post subject: Smoggcon 2011
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:44 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

This isn't relevant to LotR but rather Miniature Wargaming in general. My local Gaming Club is holding a Convention of sorts, called Smoggycon 2011 (it's third I believe). I went to last years event and had great fun, despite being stuck behind the Bring & Buy tables for most of the day.

It will be held on the 26th November at the Southlands Leisure Centre, in the Ormesby area of Middlesbrough (Northeast England, UK). For detailed information, goto: http://www.m-gc.co.uk/smoggycon/index.html. There is a small attendence fee of about £2 (may be higher this year).

The focus is definately on historical Wargaming but it's not limited to that by any means. There will be a HeroClix tournament as well as the finals of an Impetus tournament (whatever that is).

Expect Participation & Demonstration games ranging from a Warhammer 40K Bike Race (saw that last year, not sure if it'll be there again this year); a Pirates era naval game; a Wild West skirmish, a very tactical WW2 skirmish game (not sure if game is an adequate means to describe it), an epic looking Sci-Fi themed battle on an Ice Planet with robots/walkers reminiscent of the old Star Wars AT-AT walkers, and many others.

There were many miniatures traders last year, mainly small traders local to the UK (so, no GW obviously). However, there was one stockist who had a large selection of GW products.

There is a also a Bring & Buy trade stall, ran by my Club. If you've got anything you'd like to sell, just bring it along and sign a form, and a number(s) will be allocated to your items. The guys will allocate you a space on one of the tables for you to lay your stuff out (typically in an open box etc). You can then wander off for the rest of the day and come back later to collect your dosh (or reclaim your items if no-one buys them). :D The Club charges a 10% fee from the total price, but if you don't sell then you aren'y charged. There was a wide variety of things on offer last year, from board games to novels and historical reference books to miniatures like LotR and 40K. I myself picked up 12 Space Marine Scouts (7 of them the old metal snipers from before the plastic kit) to add to my Raven Guard.

There was also a few traders offering historical reference books such as Osprey publishing.

If you live in the area I urge you to come along. Last year was great fun and fascinating to see the wargaming world outside of GW. And (if I'm there, on my 3rd & final year of Uni now so its not definate) ask for Josh Pinder (a.k.a. "Shrike" on the clubs forums) if you'd like to meet me.

Post subject: Re: Smoggcon 2011
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:37 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well? Is anyone interested?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:39 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Good luck with the convention Josh - it's always a treat to visit a show like this too, just to see what else is happening in the wargaming world outside of GW's corner. If I were able to, I'd be there for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:50 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks. Someone at my club has a private agreement with Gripping Beast and other retailers and is able to purchase miniatures at up to 10% discounts for us. So I'm getting a few Gripping Beast Ango-Saxons (King Alfred the Great & Anglo-Danish Huscarl command) to start off my first non-GW army. By this time next year, I should have a full sized Anglo-Saxon army for Gripping Beasts new Dark Age game SAGA and also Age of Blood (a free rpg/skirmish hybrid ruleset).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:47 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I'll be there with my lads.I too am after some plastic Anglo-Saxons like you, some plastic Perry British Hussars and some laser-cut MDF bases and scenery for FoW if I can find them. Having said that, I'll probably end up with a crap-ton of stuff off the B&B as usual... :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:04 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm hoping to come away with:

Gripping Beast Saxon Thegns (plastic)
Wargames Factory Saxon Fyrd (plastic)
Gripping Beast - King Alfred the Great & Anglo-Danish Huscarl Command (metal blisters)
SAGA ruleset
SAGA Anglo Danish Dice

That alone will give me approx. 70 figures. More than enough for any Dark Age skirmish game, and a good start for any larger games like Warhammer Ancients or Field of Glory. :D

Also, keep an eye out at the Bring & Buy, I'll be selling a few of my old (and poorly painted) LotR models.

edit 26.11.11

I'm going to be selling quite a few of my old LotR models as wells as some 40K Space Marines so keep an eye out at the Bring & Buy. The prices are generally half of what they'd cost brand new from GW simply because I want to get rid of it all quickly (so I can get Gripping Beast Saxons the same day! :D), so they're clearly bargains. ;)

Gandalf on Shadow Fax
Boromir of the White Tower (foot) with banner of Minas Tirith
Citadel Guard Archers
Minas Tirith Captain
Mordor Orc Captain
Osgiliath Veterans
High Elf Warriors (6, one broken)
Angbor and Clansmen of Lamedon (6)
Witch King (Pelennor Fields)
Legolas