All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:14 am

Post subject: Rumours from Warseer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi folks
I came across this on Warseer (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303635&page=14). The poster (Harry) is always pretty switched on with rumours and drops vague hints every now and then.

Harry:
I know I don't post much in this end of the forum ... it's a round base thing.

But I was passing by and spotted this thread.

Whatever the apparent decline of LotR .... it is not over yet.

The Games Dev and the sculpting team have been expanded over the last 12 months.
My understanding is that one of the reasons for this is so they can give LotR and The Hobbit the attention it needs whilst not impacting on the capacity of the studio to continue to knock stuff out at an alarming rate for 40K and fantasy. (To avoid what happened last time around).

There are some significant releases on the way for LotR/WotR

and then in a later post:

'Legions' was mentioned .... I think.

Maybe this is why the sourcebooks are all vanishing?

Post subject: Re: Rumours from Warseer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:14 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

i know harry, he works for GW and has a %100 rate with what he says
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:03 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Interesting...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:05 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

If the above is true, then this could be good news.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:09 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I was never doubting that there wouldn't be a big release/s for the hobbit, and this confirms that. However, anything being released before the hobbit is a bit of a stretch for me, though they can't have all the rules (sourcebooks) gone until the hobibbit comes out, can they? :?
(Knowing GW, of course they can! :x :-X )
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:57 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

This is just something else to make me even more eager for the release of the hobbit. New amazing film plus the chance for shiny new figures :) (shame about finecast...)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:36 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Guys, Im not pretty clean about this, will we get something new or not until the Hobbit?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:16 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Remember that the licence holders for the LOTR movie property are New Line Cinema, while The Hobbit is owned by MGM. Two different companies and two different licence arrangements for Games Workshop to deal with.

I have heard a rumour that any new stuff for The Hobbit wil be in a different scale to the old LOTR stuff and will not be compatible. I have no way of backing this up though as my sources within GW have long since left the company.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:04 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Dagorlad wrote:
Remember that the licence holders for the LOTR movie property are New Line Cinema, while The Hobbit is owned by MGM. Two different companies and two different licence arrangements for Games Workshop to deal with.

I have heard a rumour that any new stuff for The Hobbit wil be in a different scale to the old LOTR stuff and will not be compatible. I have no way of backing this up though as my sources within GW have long since left the company.

If that will be true, I will totally leave GW, and I'll absolutly finish with this hobby. I will keep my armies as a good memory, but I wont mix those with other scaled miniatures, thats a sin. I think that rumor is false, where did you get that?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:38 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Here is the official announcement GW made 10 months ago. Note, it says they are extending the license, not creating a new one. It is just a 6 year renewal of the existing deal.

Official GW announcement, dated 09-Feb-2011 wrote:
WARNER BROS. CONSUMER PRODUCTS EXTENDS LICENSING AGREEMENT WITH GAMES WORKSHOP TO INCLUDE

"THE HOBBIT" AND "THE LORD OF THE RINGS"

BURBANK, Calif., Wednesday, February 9, 2011 - Warner Bros. Consumer Products (WBCP) announced today that it has extended its six-year licensing agreement with Games Workshop, enabling them exclusive, worldwide, all-language rights to produce tabletop games based on "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings" properties.

This extension allows Games Workshop, the largest tabletop fantasy and futuristic battle-games company, to expand on their arsenal of battle-games and model soldiers. Under the agreement, Games Workshop will continue to develop and increase their offerings from Middle-earth, the literary creation of J.R.R. Tolkien, allowing fans to realistically recreate action from the books and movies, based on one of the most thrilling stories ever told.

"Games Workshop has been a valuable partner of ours for a number of years and we look forward to continuing and expanding this successful relationship," said Karen McTier, Executive Vice President, Domestic Licensing and Worldwide Marketing, Warner Bros. Consumer Products. "Their products reflect the true spirit of 'The Lord of the Rings' franchise and, as anticipation builds for the release of 'The Hobbit,' the property's loyal fans will be excited for these richly inspired offerings."

"'The Lord of the Rings' is now firmly established as one of our core game systems, and the opportunity to expand it further with the upcoming film 'The Hobbit' is very exciting indeed, both for us and our hobbyists," said Mark Wells, CEO, Games Workshop. "The fantasy worlds of Middle-earth, as realized in the original works of J.R.R. Tolkien and in Peter Jackson's groundbreaking film adaptations, make wonderful backgrounds and stories which Games Workshop faithfully reproduces through its range of miniatures and battle-games."

Games Workshop products are available for purchase through Games Workshop Hobby Centres and independent retailers throughout the globe.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:39 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Awesome news, I doubt it'll be in a new scale. If it does then sadly I won't buy it (unless they are not tooo bad)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:47 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I am desperately hoping that the rumour is false too. I'd been kinda sitting on that for a while debating whether to repeat it or not. I was hoping that someone here might be able to confirm or debunk it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:21 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

:shock: A DIFFERENT SCALE :shock: thats gotta be a false rumour... surely GW know that the people who are going to buy the new hobbit stuff are the people who own the current LOTR miniatures... obviously they are going to want to mix them. If GW make the hobbit miniatures in a different scale they're well and truly shooting themselves in the head. Fingers crossed its false...
@Dags - I'd have sat on that one lol or was it playing on your mind that much you had to let it out ?

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:24 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

That is good news! Fingers crossed they ditch Finecast just in time for the Hobbit release! Good to see some of the old faces still posting :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:48 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I wouldn't mind a different scale. I would obviously still prefer for them to keep the same scale (which I don't see why they wouldn't keep the same scale as it's be silly not to and financially unwise) but as I don't often game any more I would just buy the minis that look nice for painting purposes. Besides, larger scale miniatures can be fun to paint sometimes. The only other scale they would even think about doing would be to equal 40K and WH though and I believe it was Peter Jackson and New Line that originally wanted GW to make the minis slightly smaller than these anyway (unless I'm wrongly informed).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:20 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

They wanted LOTR minis at a different scale from Warhammer and 40k so it is more difficult to do cross-over conversions, which are against the license.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:49 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Oh, so that's why Gandalf's arm looked weird when I attached it to a Bretonnian Damsel, lol just kidding. Honestly, I'd prefer the LOTR minatures to remain smaller than the Warhammer and 40K models but I doubt I'd buy anything from any of the Hobbit releases. The only minatures I might be interested in would be Beorn, the Thirteen Dwarves and maybe the Men of Lake-Town.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:55 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Location: Before the gates of another fortress, telling those maggots that they have to form ranks!
no, it was something that 40k and WHF are Heroic scale (meaning: super awsome bodybuilder monkey-like orcs and 3m tall elves) and the license forced them to produce the models in a more realistic scale.

Still, if the hobbit would be not compatible, that would be rather... Odd. But on the other hand, I wouldn't mind a new gaming system simply because... well it could be fun and the world of tolkien might get more attention.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:56 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

WayUnderTheMountain wrote:
Oh, so that's why Gandalf's arm looked weird when I attached it to a Bretonnian Damsel, lol just kidding. Honestly, I'd prefer the LOTR minatures to remain smaller than the Warhammer and 40K models but I doubt I'd buy anything from any of the Hobbit releases. The only minatures I might be interested in would be Beorn, the Thirteen Dwarves and maybe the Men of Lake-Town.

lol, i kind of agree wih you except the only models I want are the Ocs, Azog, Great Goblin, wargs, Smaug, the ecroancer and Giant Spiders.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:01 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Location: Before the gates of another fortress, telling those maggots that they have to form ranks!
Azog, Bolg, Smaug, Bilbo himself, A stone giant, great goblin, whatever new orc/goblin models they bring out, and...

Oh well, it could of course be that the prices will be xx high and I turn about buying nothing