All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:49 am

Post subject: Games Workshop cutting out distributors?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:50 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Not news, perhaps, but feeling the first effects. Wayland Games just cancelled my order because GW would not let them restock the item. I called GW in mild panic, thinking my model had been discontinued, or worse, was next in line for FailedCast. They assured me it was in stock, ready to send, and Wayland Games was welcome to order it for me...but Wayland would have to pay retail like everyone else and could no longer get it for the 'trade' price, it turned out.

Are all distributors being cut out except GW's own website? :o I have an order in through my local (non-official) shop: no word of trouble, so far.

Anyone know how widespread this is?
 Post subject: Re: Games Workshop cutting out distributors?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:31 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

What was the item?

I just called Wayland to check on a purchase, and they were unpacking a huge Games Workshop order this morning, apparently, so it sounds like they're still getting stock on some lines. AFAIK, independent suppliers are a big part of GW's business, so cutting them all out would be madness.

Paul
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:52 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

There are certain items that are direct only. Maybe your item is going in that direction.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:41 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I hope they're not, for some reason my local hobby store, still stocks it's models at the old retail price, 24 mins for 15, mounted for £12... and it's not like he isn't ordering more in as he has new batches in every week, maybe he hasn't made any money :L I'm not going to tell him it's cheaper incase he hasn't realised! And i'm getting a bargin ;p

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:36 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Wayland had a huge amount of stock in 6-8 weeks ago when they had that sale offer on. But it seems they have taken a number of LOTR items down from the website and hiked the prices up on the remaining ones. Ebay seems to be the only place to acquire large amounts of figures these days.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:05 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

This has been going on for a year or more now, most of new releases and items not carried by the GW shops are mail order only for everybody.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:27 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

lorderkenbrand wrote:
Wayland had a huge amount of stock in 6-8 weeks ago when they had that sale offer on. But it seems they have taken a number of LOTR items down from the website and hiked the prices up on the remaining ones. Ebay seems to be the only place to acquire large amounts of figures these days.

Most of the models i have now have been from ebay, good for bulk lots!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:10 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Troll-king wrote:
What was the item?

I just called Wayland to check on a purchase, and they were unpacking a huge Games Workshop order this morning, apparently, so it sounds like they're still getting stock on some lines. AFAIK, independent suppliers are a big part of GW's business, so cutting them all out would be madness.

Paul

It was Golden King of Harad and Kardush. It was 'direct only', which is usually higher priced from them (why would anyone buy higher than retail, when they can order direct from GW with free postage?!), but these were on sale, 20% off retail. The cancellation order invited me 'to re-order', which surprised me. I asked if this were a "Oh...turns out we're not making enough money on this, so we'll take it back" deal, but they assured me it was GW not selling to them at 'trade prices'. Now it sounds model specific....but why give trade prices on some models and not others? Mystery and disappointment. Wayland really impressed me with their Customer Service...for a week or so.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:34 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Weyland are correct, its what GW now do, has been for ages.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:07 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

cutting the trade prices.

any ideas why?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:58 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

all i know is that i waited 3 weeks for a shipment from gw, the guy from the shop didnt receive anything for me and gw didnt even warn him about that... 3 weeks waiting, and what i got? Not even a message or email or smtg telling me why my 3 order didnt come

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:23 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

hithero wrote:

The mystery deepens... So the 'huge stock' they just got in, they purchased that at retail prices, for the same price I pay on the GW website? How could they possibly make a profit? Yes, their 'direct sales' prices are higher---maybe a 'pay more but get it tomorrow' thing for the rich & impatient. But that can't sustain a business, certainly. No more trade prices would close down Wayland Games and every unofficial GW distributor. The GW stores & websites would be the only place to get the lowest price...a bit like the airline industry, selling direct and shutting out most of the travel agency middlemen these last years. Profitable. The Internet revolution continues.

But if that is true...and "has been for ages"...then why did Wayland Games cancel my order? They acted like it was a new policy of GW; they said they could not reorder that model for trade price. Sounds like maybe my model was on the shelf for so long, they marked it down, then ran out just as my order came in, and could not make a profit on a re-order, so cancelled instead.

Questions remain.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:48 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I do not have the ability to look it up but as mentioned there was a new distribution policy put into place by GW. Anything purchased after the new contract went into effect could not be sold outside approved areas. This probably effected many other things as well. I guess it may have effected trade buys.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:19 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The "has been for ages" that Hithero was referring to is essentially GW shafting people. I almost laughed out loud at the thought of "GW stores & websites would be the only place to get the lowest price", because of how much they bleed you.
I haven't dealt with Wayland myself, but most likely they couldn't do the re-order without taking a loss. For a business, that's certainly grounds for the cancellation: they're trying to survive the same as everyone else.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Rozinante wrote:
hithero wrote:

The mystery deepens... So the 'huge stock' they just got in, they purchased that at retail prices, for the same price I pay on the GW website? How could they possibly make a profit? Yes, their 'direct sales' prices are higher---maybe a 'pay more but get it tomorrow' thing for the rich & impatient. But that can't sustain a business, certainly. No more trade prices would close down Wayland Games and every unofficial GW distributor. The GW stores & websites would be the only place to get the lowest price...a bit like the airline industry, selling direct and shutting out most of the travel agency middlemen these last years. Profitable. The Internet revolution continues.

But if that is true...and "has been for ages"...then why did Wayland Games cancel my order? They acted like it was a new policy of GW; they said they could not reorder that model for trade price. Sounds like maybe my model was on the shelf for so long, they marked it down, then ran out just as my order came in, and could not make a profit on a re-order, so cancelled instead.

Questions remain.

They order them in as a service to their customers and charge a little on top for doing so. They might have cancelled your order due to putting the product on mail order after Weyland took your order. When this first kicked off there was a memo on there site about it, might still be there.

It's still there:
Direct Only Items

Games workshop often remove items from their ranges that can be ordered by independant stockists like us at Wayland Games. It could be that they are low on stock, or that the item is about to be discontinued. We have been asked by customers many times if we could also order these items in and resell them to you, as you might be placing a large order and you wish to have everything delivered together at our great prices.

Well now you can! This service won't make sense to everyone, as who would want to pay more than RRP for an item, and we understand this concern but we are responding to demand.

The process is simple:

Direct only items are priced at UK RRP + 15%
The 15% represents our fee for this service. Please email us to make suggestions for items you would like us to stock, and we will add them to the website for you.

The stock levels in the Direct Only section are a true reflection of stock levels. Once these items run out of stock, they will no longer be available, and will be removed from the site. Some of these items are only available in very limited numbers.