All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:47 am

Post subject: Re: The Hobbit Wargame
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:59 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Chris wrote:
"nd not only on The Lord of the Rings game but also introduce a new version based on J.R.R. Tolkien’s Middle Earth to co-coincide with The Hobbit movie. Details of how The Hobbit game will differ from the original The Lord of the Rings is as yet unknown and details will emerge closer to the time of the release."

"Games Workshop has been a valuable partner of ours for a number of years and we look forward to continuing and expanding this successful relationship," said Karen McTier, Executive Vice President, Domestic Licensing and Worldwide Marketing, Warner Bros. Consumer Products. "Their products reflect the true spirit of 'The Lord of the Rings' franchise and, as anticipation builds for the release of 'The Hobbit,' the property's loyal fans will be excited for these richly inspired offerings."

"'The Lord of the Rings' is now firmly established as one of our core game systems, and the opportunity to expand it further with the upcoming film 'The Hobbit' is very exciting indeed, both for us and our hobbyists,"

Note the bold words, what that means is up to interpretation but it was put in the press release for a reason. It could mean a new battle of the five armies, it could mean a new updated rule book, it could mean a new system in a different scale or with entirely different rules. I agree with others, if they release new minis in the same scale I will be happy, even if they are not for the same rule system. If they are on a different scale I will not buy them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:18 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Jobu wrote:
Chris wrote:
"nd not only on The Lord of the Rings game but also introduce a new version based on J.R.R. Tolkien’s Middle Earth to co-coincide with The Hobbit movie. Details of how The Hobbit game will differ from the original The Lord of the Rings is as yet unknown and details will emerge closer to the time of the release."

"Games Workshop has been a valuable partner of ours for a number of years and we look forward to continuing and expanding this successful relationship," said Karen McTier, Executive Vice President, Domestic Licensing and Worldwide Marketing, Warner Bros. Consumer Products. "Their products reflect the true spirit of 'The Lord of the Rings' franchise and, as anticipation builds for the release of 'The Hobbit,' the property's loyal fans will be excited for these richly inspired offerings."

"'The Lord of the Rings' is now firmly established as one of our core game systems, and the opportunity to expand it further with the upcoming film 'The Hobbit' is very exciting indeed, both for us and our hobbyists,"

Note the bold words, what that means is up to interpretation but it was put in the press release for a reason. It could mean a new battle of the five armies, it could mean a new updated rule book, it could mean a new system in a different scale or with entirely different rules. I agree with others, if they release new minis in the same scale I will be happy, even if they are not for the same rule system. If they are on a different scale I will not buy them.

guys, read all my quotes, it says that they have a new licence for another 6 years for the lotr and the hobbit and they will cast more minis for LOTR and new mini's for the hobbit and about the new system thats the only thing that it is unknown for now.....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:45 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I would actually be happy with a new rules system for the Hobbit. Maybe not completely different, but more of an expansion, but The Hobbit would really be quite boring with the current rules. Most of the battles are very small scale, and to have a system that makes smaller scale combat more strategic and tactical would be cool. Maybe make individual combats require more choices and careful planning or whatever. It doesn't have to be completely new, just something to expand the rules for smaller scale games. You wouldn't want to use it for bigger battles, as it would take too long to plan out every single model's fighting carefully, so we would still need the SBG for medium sized battles, and WOTR for super awesome mega awesome MUSHROOM PARTY! And I can't remember where it was, but some guy from GW said that they would never change the scale of the miniatures, and if the guys at GW marketing have any sense, they can't change the scale, as that would anger and destroy a huge portion of their current customers, and their current customers are the ones that will probably give them most of the money.

On another note though, New Line Cinema and Warner Bros are collaborating on the actual Hobbit film, so it is not impossible that they would want to collaborate on Lotr SBG as well. It all depends on what makes the most money I guess, but linking the Hobbit with the existing game would probably get them more money in total. It's the Game Theory of economics. When companies work together instead of just trying to get profits for themselves, they can increase maximum profits, which they then share to get bigger individual profits.

Thanks!

Maermaethor.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:00 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Maermaethor wrote:
I would actually be happy with a new rules system for the Hobbit. Maybe not completely different, but more of an expansion, but The Hobbit would really be quite boring with the current rules. Most of the battles are very small scale, and to have a system that makes smaller scale combat more strategic and tactical would be cool. Maybe make individual combats require more choices and careful planning or whatever. It doesn't have to be completely new, just something to expand the rules for smaller scale games. You wouldn't want to use it for bigger battles, as it would take too long to plan out every single model's fighting carefully, so we would still need the SBG for medium sized battles, and WOTR for super awesome mega awesome MUSHROOM PARTY! And I can't remember where it was, but some guy from GW said that they would never change the scale of the miniatures, and if the guys at GW marketing have any sense, they can't change the scale, as that would anger and destroy a huge portion of their current customers, and their current customers are the ones that will probably give them most of the money.

On another note though, New Line Cinema and Warner Bros are collaborating on the actual Hobbit film, so it is not impossible that they would want to collaborate on Lotr SBG as well. It all depends on what makes the most money I guess, but linking the Hobbit with the existing game would probably get them more money in total. It's the Game Theory of economics. When companies work together instead of just trying to get profits for themselves, they can increase maximum profits, which they then share to get bigger individual profits.

Thanks!

Maermaethor.

all i ask is mini's with the same size!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:28 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Quote:
Maermaethor.

all i ask is mini's with the same size!!!!!!!!

agreed!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:20 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Maermaethor wrote:

Thanks!

Maermaethor.

I've always thoroughly enjoyed the smaller SBG games (Farmer maggot's farm: 4 ruffians, Maggot and dogs for example) so I think it'd be perfectly possible to just expand on SBG for The Hobbit. I hope so.:/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:57 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

It seems entirely possible for GW to scrape the SBG or BoFA rulesets, but it just doesn't seem right that they'd drop WotR and start from scratch. Maybe this possible new game would adapt the WotR rules to individual model skirmish level...which would be even easier to introduce people to and get people playing quickly than SBG. The problem is the name: "War of the Ring." I'm imagining 28mm under "The Hobbit Strategy Battle Game" with the rules for WotR, additionally adapted for individual models.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:01 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Chris wrote:
guys, read all my quotes, it says that they have a new licence for another 6 years for the lotr and the hobbit and they will cast more minis for LOTR and new mini's for the hobbit and about the new system thats the only thing that it is unknown for now.....

And again, I will ask where those quotes all come from, because THIS press release,

http://www.iii.co.uk/investment/detail? ... id=8158195

from last year, is quite explicit that it is not a new license but an extension of the existing one and doesn't say anything about a new version. So I would like to know where that quote is coming from.

Dagorlad wrote:
Remember guys, the existing LOTR licence is with New Line Cinema, while the Hobbit is being produced by MGM/Warner Bros. Two very different parties,

Not really. New Line Cinema and Warner Bros. are both divisions of Time Warner, and that press release from Warner Bros was about an extension of an existing license and said

Warner Bros. wrote:
"Games Workshop has been a valuable partner of ours for a number of years and we look forward to continuing and expanding this successful relationship," said Karen McTier, Executive Vice President, Domestic Licensing and Worldwide Marketing, Warner Bros. Consumer Products.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:07 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

4 or 5 diferent places, but 1 i blog i read was recent and they were talking about what i already told the they will cast new minis for the LOTR and the hobbit and about creating or not a new system for the hobbit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I sincerely, honestly hope that the 1st rumor does not prove true. Well, I could always make up my own WOTR profiles for WOTR, I suppose. It's just that I won't be able to actually play them (the only playing opportunity I know of in Holland is GW Breda :( :sad: :o :shock: :x :-X :roll: .

:puppy:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:09 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

well...ALL WE NEED IS NEW MINIS WITH THE SAME SIZE AS LOTR :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:40 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I think I mentioned it before but I still have a feeling that GW will release a new/updated rule book calling it something like The Legions of Middle Earth, and having a bunch of separate army books covering both SBG and WoTR. Along side these will be a scenario book based on The Hobbit and since they still have the journeybooks for TLoTR they will be able to get more money out of new gamers wanting to play those FoTR/TT/RoTK scenarios.

Wild speculation, but in line with the other systems. Rulebook/Armybook/Expansion(scenario)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:07 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

That sounds cool. I agree that a new game would be good for the skirmish. Playing SBG with less than 12minies each is boring. Also playing SBG with more than 300 models is boring, which is why I don't bash WOTR too much. I'm not going to worry about the different scale because that rumour was completely baseless with 0 proof. What annoys me is when people splurt out comments like:

Quote:
I expect the current LotR and WotR systems will be dumped.

Why on earth would they dump WOTR 3 years after it's release? They said introducing a new game, not replacing it. And their talk in their official statement said that LOTR has settled as one of their core games. Why the pointless negativity?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:03 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

They will most likely produce a new rule book, maybe tweet the rules! But im sure we're all smart enough that we could use the rules from STB, WOTR and use the hobbit miniatures too, as for scale... Games workshop know S*** would go down if they didn't keep the scale, so i recon scale will stay the same!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:11 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I thought the most popular theory was that SBG would be updated with the first film, and WotR with the second. Is that not likely any more?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:03 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I never heard that theory.