All times are UTC

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 8:08 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: New Finecast Releases for August
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:53 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Big ups to Lord Hurin, Oldman Willow, and King Ondoher. Couldn't agree more with your P.O.V's.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:51 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I do think we complain too much in forums, there are far to many threads dedicated to moaning and too few dedicated to the legacy of amazing models, battle and rules.

My recent orders of finecast have all be much better! The new wave of models (since GW upped its quality control) have been much improved but don't buy anything pre that and dont buy a greatbeast.
I love forgeworld because I pay a premium but the worst i get is a short mold of 1 or 2mm on a cape which is easy to fix or a bent spear (again easy to fix). GW prices are now premium so premium should be the standard... or drop the price and get new people into the hobby and those of us who are established will enjoy the price reduction and just fix our broken models.
£5 for a hero would do it for me.
£12 for a foot and mount.

I would not complain about short molds n bubbles at those prices
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:08 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
£5 for a hero would do it for me.
£12 for a foot and mount.
I would not complain about short molds n bubbles at those prices

I can get well made figures with out defects for far less. Why should a hero cost more than any other single cast :?: I have already voted with my feet. GW has the LOTR license that is the only reason I do any business with them at all.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:27 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

ahh now you see I like 40k sculpts and some fantasy models too.
I buy models from banelords (maelstrom games) and they cost as much or more than lotr but are proper resin so can be worked with like proper resin
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Oldman Willow wrote:
GW has the LOTR license that is the only reason I do any business with them at all.

+1
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:18 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hey guys, looks like the new Finecast is here and official. Just been looking over the Games Workshop website and they've updated their advance orders page. I ordered 3 packs of High Elf Warriors only two days ago, hopefully I'll receive the metal versions.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:05 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Oh my, I don't think I've posted on here since before it moved from the old interface! I miss that beautiful interface!

Thanks SidTheSloth for posting a link to my site, but the URL has actually changed! Please use:

http://www.hourofwolves.org/?view=artic ... rfBallista

That way I know how many people are visiting the site and from where :)

Thanks guys!
neldoreth aka revolutionary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:15 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Could anyone tell me if FC Treebeard is the same size as the metal one? I always thought it was weird that he was shorter than the GW Ent, and I think the only reason to get the new one is if he's taller.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:03 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

valderalv wrote:
Could anyone tell me if FC Treebeard is the same size as the metal one? I always thought it was weird that he was shorter than the GW Ent, and I think the only reason to get the new one is if he's taller.

No worries that he is shorter than the generic Ent....Treebeard was only about fourteen feet tall. No saying that all Ents had to be the same height. :)
As for the FC vs the metal version...I don't know if there is any difference in scale.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:40 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I was thinking about this myself. Also his base appears to be different.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:42 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

BilboOfTheWhiteTower wrote:
No worries that he is shorter than the generic Ent....Treebeard was only about fourteen feet tall. No saying that all Ents had to be the same height :)

I thought Treebeard was tall for an ent and the average was twelve foot tall, although I can't remember where I read that :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:43 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

From what I've been told, all FineCast redo's are exactly the same scale. The Treebeard scale seems to have been driven by the size of the Hobbits sitting with him. I didn't mind because it looked pretty good scale with the Trolls and Orcs. When they did the new "Ent" ( /trying hard not to allow the sculpt to appear in my mind :? ) GW didn't bother too much with scale (or proportion, or face, or pose, or...). So the FC Treebeard should still be the same size as the original metal one.

With a few exceptions (the first Arwen will give me nightmares forever) I have loved every model GW has done that was based on PJ's imaging of Middle Earth. GW's own creations have been far closer to a 50/50 as they keep seeming to run home to their 40K roots whenever they didn't have something specific to look at.

There are many things about FC that initially excited me. Having done some customization work on a metal Mordor Troll, I'll say I was very much looking forward to having a better material to work with on larger models. But the price increases and (to a lesser degree for me) the cast quality issues drove me away from GW as a supplier.

I have been collecting and playing GW LotR for about 7 years now. This is not only my own 'fun money' (which as the father of 3 is understandably limited) but also GW LotR models pretty much dominated all birthday and Christmas wish lists for me for the better part of that time. Most that know me also know that I'm a big supporter of my local independent store. Even though most GW stuff can be found cheaper online if I was getting anything new I would get it thru my store so they could get at least a little profit. So I'm saddened that my choice to stop collecting from GW has had some negative impact on them as well (though I switched over to historical wargames for most new spending and they're my source for that).

I have a very large backlog of GW LotR stuff. I'm also still getting things I want but I'm getting it thru the secondary market from players that are no longer interested themselves. There are a couple things I may eventually order new because I really want them and can't find them over time second hand, but that will be a point of last resort. And if it's one of GW's stupid direct-only purchases then I'll pass all together (as I said, if I'm screwed dealing with GW then I at least want my LGS to benefit).

I really enjoy the SBG rule system and love how PJ presented Middle Earth to us (I am a Tolkien fan above a collector or gamer). So GW's license for the movies and their generally good job of bringing those minis to us looking like they came from the film has been very exciting for me...up until about a year ago. It's sad that they are the only source for what I want and THAT, not customer loyalty, is why they have a market still in my opinion. There has been nothing they have released since the cut over to FineCast and price increases at that time which I feel is worth the money new as long as I have any other place to put my hobby funds.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6