All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:11 am

Post subject: Hobbit BOFA is Complete
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:36 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

All of the miniatures for The Hobbit The Battle of Five Armies has been released. Why else are there no more profiles in the BOFA free sourcebook. The Perry's did their sculpts during principal photography when they were down in New Zealand and did their cameo. They finished them all by the time their contract expired. As we have seen, no new sculpts have been made since post production. So unless another sculptor is contracted to do the CGI characters, which based on recent sales is highly unlikely, GW has completed their range.

If the Hobbit BOFA does well, GW may do new models based on the CGI characters such as Dain and the Iron Hill dwarves and we might see profiles in a White Dwarf. There might also be one final "One Book to Rule Them All" before the license expires with all profiles from LOTR and the Hobbit.
 Post subject: Re: Hobbit BOFA is Complete
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I doubt that many of the late editions will see the light of day in miniature form, but I still think that there will be a few more releases. For a start it was obvious that Dain and the Iron Hills dwarves were going to make an appearance in the battle, no matter what form the film took.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:35 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Some thoughts.

The lack of spare profiles tells us nothing - GW does not produce rules without minis since the chapterhouse affair. They have been gutting model-less profiles recently in WFB and 40k releases. They release the minis when available, and have the rules either in supplements, digital downloads or WD.

The Perrys are not the only sculptors to have worked on the Hobbit. Besides, they worked until July of this year, well into the final stages of the film - unless you have insider knowlege of the production process, you can't know when the digital changes were made. Bear in mind that what gets given to the press/marketing is often a fairly outdated version of the images. They get that stuff together quickly for marketing and trailer purposes, and then sit down to work on everything else and finish those scenes. Without an accurate timetable, we're just stabbing in the dark.

We should support the releases as best we can, but it likely will have minimal impact on Gws business decisions going forward, considering their finances and apparent business strategy. They've made their decision, and since none of us can read minds, let's hope it's one we can work with.

I think seeing a second wave of Five Armies minis is far more likely (and, indeed, actually fairly logical given the current releases) than another rule book - though some of GW's current strategies (ie, large format, hardback, limited run, high price) might be suitable to ensure profit in that case. Doubt they'll bother though. Find a month with some small but expensive 40k/fantasy releases (end times books, new editions, box sets) and shove Hobbit minis in there to buff it up, with a rules release later on. That way Hobbit does not take any spotlight from what GW actually wants to sell, but makes a nice bit of cash on the side, hopefully.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:48 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I feel like it is a bit premature to speculate that it is the end of the range. They went through the efforts of producing a Smaug miniature as well as the other recent releases. It was obvious Dain was going to feature in this film from the off so the Perry Twins would have been able to sculpt him before their departure regardless. Still optimistic there is some more to come.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

News, Rumours, & Speculation! :-D

Yeah I don't believe this is the end either. Aren't they suppose to release a full version supplement of BoFA, or was the free download all there's suppose to be? Strange that they wouldn't give any new dwarves.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:03 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I too dont believe that this is the end of BOTFA releases. I think there will be a few more releases such as Radagast on Eagle and iron hills dwarves

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:44 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I don't think the range is complete either.

December is pretty packed with releases, on all GWs systems. Too much in one week would impact sales, so instead of cramming all Hobbit stuff into December, some of it we'll see in January or even February. Even without licensing or copyright interfering, this seems a smart way to go about things.

This weeks supplement allows players to already field the new miniatures from this release wave, instead of having to wait till everything is here. A second edition of the supplement may appear with the next batch of miniatures and their profiles.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:41 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I too believe that we haven't seen the end of the releases. Like people have said before, it is very obvious Dain and co. were going to feature in the film as they are one of the five armies so I would be surprised to say the least if we did not see anything for those released.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:50 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I think that is a pretty bold statement to just declare we have seen the end of Hobbit releases. You should have a better source than just speculation before making declarations like that
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:32 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

This is a terrible Click Baiting title...... And horribly negative to the game.
And to add A LOT of the Hobbit range minis if not the majority was not sculpted by the Perrys... Check your information before you post something.

My W.I.P - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=28062
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:39 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

You know that the Perrys didnt do ALL of the lotr hobbit stuff right! just a majority of it.
I for one am expecting not only new miniatures but a new sourcebook around the feb/march time next year. Remember I called it when it happens ;) lol
But then that will be it i think
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:54 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I disagree that this is the end. With all the changes PJ made to the films GW could be just playing there cards close to the chest with the sculpts. Just look at Azog in the movie he's armoured yet GW don't have a sculpt done yet.

Trade viewtopic.php?f=38&p=378479#p378479
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I think that we will get new models for all of the white council profiles in the new book: Galadriel, Saruman, Elrond and Radagast on eagle. What does everyone else think about the likelihood of this?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:46 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm really expecting more dwarves and some evil foot soldier units. Even being the gw skeptic I am I can't imagine them only releasing two evil models from the battle.

I can see two dwarven cavalry poses and some foot soldiers and some evil foot soldiers left minimum.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:48 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Seems more than likely but besides these and the dwarfs the Question is

1. will Beorn come riding an Eagle like in the movie? Airborn Bear Bomb yikes :shock:
2. Will we get new Nazgul miniatures and/or Profiles?
3. Goblin Mercenaries????
4. New multi-part Trolls, Headbanger was memorable. :lol:
and 5. new Gundabad Bats

Trade viewtopic.php?f=38&p=378479#p378479
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:35 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I agree this might not be the end yet. Rather I think with the supplement, GW is not wanting to spoil us with any new stuff yet. They came out with more than I was expecting so far, I would be surprised if they left it here.

I can see something concerning the White Council showing up after the Christmas break, together with Radgast on Eagle, since those are the ones already hinted at in the supplement. New Elrond and Galadriel have been on my wish list for this for a long time.
Besides that, I think more evil creatures will show up, we've had plenty of the good guys so far, less of the bad ones. The Necromancer and Nazgul come to mind, as well as enough orcs to make everyone happy. I'm hoping to see the bats as well.
And hopefully, we will get some Ironhill dwarves as well.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:25 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I doubt we'll see another SBG source book.

The WD supplement is clearly the BoFA sourcebook reformatted to make it cheaper to include for "free" with WD. The text on the back for example is an almost word for word copy of that on Desolation, right down to the UPC code. Also in "linking your games" it says "The Assault on Ravenhill will lead to ultimate victory for one side or the other... Whoever wins the final scenario wins the campaign".

HOWEVER

Given the absence of Dain, and even token scenarios representing the actual battle involving the massed men, elves, iron hill dwarves, the rest of Thorin's co, not to mention the vast amount of combat in the ruins of Dale, I would not be entirely surprised if the rumours of a massed battle (WotR?) supplement turn out to be true. It may be that Dain, and Thranduil on his Elk, and new evil troops are being saved for that...

Edit - Then again it's equally possible that they avoided creating scenarios featuring certain elements because they axed those elements from production plans given the lackluster sales of AUJ - in which case I doubt we'll ever see them since it would mean GW reversing a business decision which they've been very reluctant to do.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:25 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

legion wrote:
I think that is a pretty bold statement to just declare we have seen the end of Hobbit releases. You should have a better source than just speculation before making declarations like that

This is the News & Rumors forum, so I am starting a rumor! :-D

But seriously, in the BOFA sourcebook linking your games section, the two scenarios, 12 & 13 take you to the end of the trilogy. Since the models are from the movie and primarily made for the scenarios, what other scenarios are there? The Assault on Ravenhill would be the final scenario from the trilogy since it has the eagles coming at the end of the battle.

My speculation is just that, but it is a solid argument.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:45 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

My local GW manager always seems clued up on Hobbit related stuff, and informed me he had definitely seen evidence of a Dain miniature, although he didn't go into details on what evidence. He said we should also assume that we'll be getting finecast clampacks of 3 Iron Hills Axemen, 3 Iron Hills Pikemen, and 2 Iron Hills Goat-riders. In mid-2015, he said we should also expect a new scenery box which can be interchanged between ruined Dale and Dol Guldur - not sure how that would work as they are both completely different designs, but I'd be interested in buying if that's the case.

On top of this, he has allegedly heard discussions of a final 'ultimate' book, but only containing Hobbit SBG stuff, not LOTR SBG as well. Finally, later in 2015 to coincide with the new book, he claimed to have seen designs and prototypes for a new Necromancer, and suggested we can also expect a new Galadriel (in screamy mode), Gandalf wounded, Gandalf mounted, Witch-king spectre, Bard's son Bain, Bilbo with Arkenstone, Bilbo the Ringbearer (all those listed in this sentence are rumoured finecast). He also mentioned a possible Gundabad troll, apparently in plastic with two weapon options and a seige catapult option, but I'm not sure if he said he's seen evidence of this or was just telling me something he'd like to see.

Obviously, take this with a pinch of salt. I doubt all his theories are true, I'm just posting them because he is always discussing Hobbit SBG with me and 9.9/10 his theories are also true. The fact that he's seen the development stage of the new Necromancer, and Dain and the Iron Hills units, is also trustworthy. A few years back he told me about designs floating around for Gulavar (even referring to the miniature by that name), and having seen the Dweller in the Dark and Great Beast of Gorgoroth miniatures, all about six months before they were released, and he wasn't wrong/lying them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:17 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The scenarios are the last ones that deal with the company. Every scenario in the books deals with them, so the new ones could be a linked scenario for the rest of the battle.