All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:12 am

Post subject: Laketown Buildings in BoFA Supplement
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:11 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Nobody else seems to have pointed this out, but aren't the buildings on the back inside cover/the second page of the PDF the same laketown buildings we have been seeing for a while now? If so, I find it very fishy that GW didn't release them in the same releases as smaug or the laketown stuff. I can't think of another release set where these buildings would fit in. I hope that doesn't mean that they won't release them. I personally am really looking forward to the possibility of making a really cool laketown board.

Anybody else notice this, or am I wrong that those are the same laketown buildings we have been seeing?
 Post subject: Re: Laketown Buildings in BoFA Supplement
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:14 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

They do look similar to the ones seen before. I had noticed them, it's a shame. Maybe the photos were taken when they were planning on releasing them.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It would be cool if they made a building for Laketown use. I know they have a lot of War Hammer Fantasy building kits, so even if they made a WHF one that looks the part it would be well received (minas the 500 sculls they would include in the kit of course).

You can check out this terrain:

over at Beast of War = http://www.beastsofwar.com/lord-of-the-rings/guide-crafting-lord-rings-tabletop-terrain/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:31 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I don't think we'll see it them at this point, but I find it mind boggling that a company with shrinking profits will just take the hit when it comes to the moulding costs. Or I would, but it's GW, so I suppose I ought to expect it.

I intend to use the 4Ground fantasy scenery as Laketown and other mannish villages, but I'll have to make some walkways and piers as well. I've got the ocean effect mat that came with dreadfleet and those types of mats are available from several manufacturers, so Laketown is very doable right now, even without these official kits. Good for making a very vertical board, I think - lots of ladders, levels, interiors, roofs...

Generally, I've noticed GW are weird with their terrain kits. 40k is fairly well supported if you play imperium. But they've discontinued most of their best fantasy stuff, and for some reason never managed to get around to something as simple as "Empire House" or "River", you know - things that work on most tables and can be bought multiple times. They even got rid of their hills. I know these things are fairly easy to make and even easier to order online, but sometimes it's nice to walk into a store on the way home and walk out with something cool.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:52 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

That is a fair point, Creaky. I remember wanting to go in and buy the second half of my gaming hill and realizing that GW doesn't sell them anymore. It doesn't really seem to make logical sense to discontinue a plastic terrain kit, but I guess that's GW for you.

Thanks to everyone else for the help on making the board. If I am able to devote the time to get it finished I will be sure to post pictures.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:43 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Creaky wrote:
I don't think we'll see it them at this point, but I find it mind boggling that a company with shrinking profits will just take the hit when it comes to the moulding costs. Or I would, but it's GW, so I suppose I ought to expect it.

What evidence is there that a *mold* exists, as opposed to just some painted 3D prototypes?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:40 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Michaelc wrote:
Creaky wrote:

What evidence is there that a *mold* exists, as opposed to just some painted 3D prototypes?

Judging from the photo I would say there is not much evidence that GW made a plastic mold or 3D prototype of a coffee stirrer to scratch build a house. I did see the photo that caused the speculation about the plastic kit for Lake Town. I think it was a kit bash. The fact that they pulled the photos makes me feel like there could have been something in the works. Speculation plus rumors based on speculation adds up to exactly zero.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:34 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Laketown Houses can be purchased here. Although they are not licensed, they look close enough.

http://www.ziterdes.de/ziterdes/en/produkte/listview.php?catID=64&subcatID=67&we_lv_start_shoplistview=0
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:17 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

It is a wonder someone with a laser hasn't made a kit or two that would fit into this category.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!