All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:53 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Releases
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:14 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

New releases on the GW site :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:18 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Wow, Elrond's left foot looks horrendous!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:20 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Badner wrote:
werner wrote:
I want them both. Normally I was going to wait but after reading the scenario in the WD, I preordered the 'The White Council- Vanquishers of the Necromancer of Dol Guldur' ;-) On of my current projects is Radagast on Sleigh...

Hi, where did you preorder them? They are not even on the GW website. Or are they only not yet on the German website?

Off topic: Is it difficult to assemble and paint Radagast on sleigh?

My local gamestore :D

Concerning Radagast, I'm not goin to assemble everything: http://thefellowshipoftheminiatures.blogspot.be/2015/01/new-project-radagast-brown-on-sleigh.html#more

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:21 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The Radagast on Eagle is all resin, the eagle is not plastic. Saurmans face is excellent, great new releases IMO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:37 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hmmmm... I'm not very keen on Elrond at all, his feet are terrible and his face isn't all that great. But oh my Saruman you beauty ! This is a great model, full of life want so bad !
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:59 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Elrond does not look very good. However, Galadriel and Saruman are looking very good. Saruman is simply amazing, but I think that his face does not look like in the movie. Galadriel could be painted better. I think that she should look more "like a ghost" with a bluish touch. Radagast is not even a new miniature in my opinion. He consists of the plastic eagle with a little bit different wings and the Radagast from the sleigh.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:19 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Im not impressed. Saruman is cool looking, but the others are meh at best.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:52 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Sculpts look pretty good but the painting is poor. Galadriel should have been blue / grey, thats what I would aim for if I get her.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:58 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Not the best looking Saruman, Galadriel looks a lot better than I expected, though that paint job makes her look like shes walked through a sewer.

Radagast is laughable.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:17 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Has anyone ever read Patrick Rofus books, i imagine this new Galadriel sculpt to look like Auri,(a character from his books) if you have you will no what i am rambling about.

I must be looking at a different Saurman sculpt, i think its Brilliant.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:22 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I've looked again and he could probably be the best sculpt of the three, though Galadriel is a very close second.
Elrond is poor by comparison and I'm surprised they passed it.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:28 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I don't want to believe the Elrond sculpt is as bad as it looks. It must be an unflattering paintjob photographed from the worst possible angle. I would trust that in general, the hobbit releases have looked better in the hand than on the webpage, but the photos of this set are peculiarly offputting. Could someone who preordered please do a high quality unboxing with lots of photos?

Last edited by Thurin on Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:30 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hi everybody,

I just had an idea.There are so many different opinions on the new releases; somebody loves Saruman, somebody doesn't... Why don't we open a trading thread named"splitting boxes"? In this thread you would be able to tell the other members which miniatures of the box you like and which you don't like. This would be the opportunity to find somebody for splitting the box/blister. What do you think, should we create this thread? Or is this against the forum/trading rules?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:41 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

So Elrond badly needs a rock under that left foot... He looks like he should fall over at any second! :-D I think the face is probably OK, just not painted to a high enough standard to pick out the detail correctly.

Saruman is stunning! Really nice, dynamic pose 8)

Galadriel just has a poor paint job IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:25 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Really liking Radagast, not so sure on the white council the sculpts look odd to me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:44 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Having had a better look at the official pictures I pretty much feel the same. Radagast is far too expensive given you can achieve the same with a relatively cheap and easy conversion. I love Saruman and Galadriel looks better than I thought but I'm still not convinced. As for Elrond, I think it's a good model taken at a bad angle, will wait to see some good pictures of how he looks assembled from different angles but I'm holding out hope.

It's at times like this that I wished they still did the 360s for the Hobbit range, they were a great way of really seeing what a mini looked like. Unfortunately, that's just another area of SBG support that GW have let slide.

Very interesting that the White Council set is 14 components, that's a lot of small parts for a 3 model set...

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:06 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I've preordered the Council, but Radagast can wait a few months, though he is growing on me a bit.

May the wind under your wings bear you to where the sun sails and the moon walks!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:30 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

When I saw the crappy pictures from the new White Dwarf, I thought the white council looked awesome and was planning on picking it up right away.

Radagast, uhhhh... Posing is as if they took radagast on sleigh and awkwardly green stuffed him onto the existing eagle. If I wanted a conversion of previous kits I would have made one.

The Saruman pose is full of life, however they appear to have modelled his face after Christopher Lee's stuntman.

Elrond...what a mess.

The Galadriel is a really, really great sculpt (though the face doesn't really look like her, you can pin that down on her being in 'rage-mode'). Lots of character in that one.

Just like the previous White Council box, I am tempted just for one figure. However, it may surface upon release that it is merely the paint job letting the figure down again, in which case I will find it hard to resist this box!

VG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:03 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I realize this is mostly a GW LOTR site, but for those who dont know, Mithril miniatures STILL produces MERP ( middle earth roleplaying) miniatures that fit pretty good :D
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:43 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dr Grant wrote:
It's at times like this that I wished they still did the 360s for the Hobbit range, they were a great way of really seeing what a mini looked like. Unfortunately, that's just another area of SBG support that GW have let slide.

This, by the Valar, a thousand times this. Imagine this would be the only picture you'd have of Elrond (not having seen the (leaked) pictures in WD). You'd imagine he was doing some weird dance, rather than swinging his blade. Another poor paintjob photographed at a strange angle (at least when it's the only pic available) of what may well be a great model.
Galadriel looks a lot better (compared to the WD picture), although the dress sections are strangely angular. Can still see quite some potential here.
Saruman may suffer a bit from the very big robes (as thin sections of finecast are just too vulnerable), but looks good. Better than the Orthanc version.. not sure.
Would love to see 360s of the first and last, or at least some pics from a few different angles...
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next