All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:06 pm

Post subject: Visit to local Games Workshop store
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:39 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Stopped in today to order some Laketown Militia and some older LOTR models, I had enough on my order to have it shipped free to my house but I like to order at the store so the store gets credit. Wanted to buy the older Bard model also but couldn't find it on the shelf, store manager says wait a minute, got it right here and pulled it out of a box.

Apparently corporate has asked the individual stores to ship back figures that weren't selling at the store to stock their warehouse and support online sales. If the US warehouse doesn't have the model they have to have them shipped from the UK.

The Bard model was going to be one I was going to buy if they had it but didn't want it bad enough to place an order for, but with the increasing amount of models not in the store and only available on-line, how many other sales are they losing to the walk-in buyer? What really confused me was that he was shipping back the older Bard but keeping Alfrid.

Post subject: Re: Visit to local Games Workshop store
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:51 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Local GW store here in Chicago-land here posted photos on FB of what all they are sending back to corporate. I was kind of shocked. It was across the ranges of GW products. Even with the few boxes of LOTR that were stocked in the store, they are sending them back.

On the upside they do have 2 tables on Saturday's for The Hobbit. I put my name down to get a game there if someone reaches out to me. So there is some kind of support/following for The Hobbit, which is awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:59 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I live in the UK and my local store is recalling a lot of stock (it includes some WFB and 40k too), some of it will be going to direct order but some of it, I was warned, may be going OOP. Hence I bought a Dragon (not Smaug).

EDIT: As for why Alfrid is more popular than the original bard, look no further than profiles. Alfrid is very popular amongst competitive players.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:09 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

GothmogtheWerewolf - thanks for the clarification on Alfrid - just looked at his profile and cost, could see how he would be very useful. Have to admit I was coming from the appearance of the model vs Bard and my bias of Alfrid from the last movie. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:14 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Glad I got my Bard last week.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:35 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I had the same issue before with Balin the Younger, he was already packaged up and ready to be sent back within about five months of his initial release - most upsetting.

As for Alfrid, I believe he's considered an almost 'must-have' in current competitive armies. I don't play the game, but his rules mean that allied heroes gain back Might points or something like that, so he sounds very useful, despite his fairly uninspired appearance.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:38 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

My local GW in Canada is also shipping back all excess stock from this year to the factory.