All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:55 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 473 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Forgeworld Hobbit Releases
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:48 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I told myself today i should stop buying more stuff until I had finished some of the things I have already. I don't even know how many unfinished models I have laying around... It is a fierce and jealous love!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:56 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The war goats are reasonable compared to similar Forge World models. For example the Imperial Guard Rough Riders are £16 each, so more expensive.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:47 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Not to 'bash' GW but I think it's a real shame that their models are still so expensive ; when I started collecting their miniatures as a 10 year old (30 years ago), a warhammer ogre was only £6???

There's no doubt that the forgeworld models are fantastic - the current releases are a testament to that! Yes, I realise everything in life becomes more expensive with time & companies have to make a profit, but sadly the best minatures available (that would attract a lot of potential new hobbyists / gamers / customers) are now beyond the price range of a lot of those younger people or parents who will not be able to justify £56 for 2 or 3 models.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:57 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

chranos wrote:
Draugluin wrote:
You could always sell your wife.

Would be morally wrong and illegal in most parts of the world

But ultimately worth it.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:39 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

jhk2005 wrote:
Not to 'bash' GW but I think it's a real shame that their models are still so expensive ; when I started collecting their miniatures as a 10 year old (30 years ago), a warhammer ogre was only £6???

There's no doubt that the forgeworld models are fantastic - the current releases are a testament to that! Yes, I realise everything in life becomes more expensive with time & companies have to make a profit, but sadly the best minatures available (that would attract a lot of potential new hobbyists / gamers / customers) are now beyond the price range of a lot of those younger people or parents who will not be able to justify £56 for 2 or 3 models.

Agree!

I think it's become a game for working adults instead of children.

I started with Warhammer when I was 11 with a box of Fantasy Orcs and switched to LOTR straight after that because of the D'Eagostini magazines.
I was saving up all my money and every 3 weeks I could afford to buy one "D" blister with the price of €12,50 or something or I decided to wait a little longer to pay €25,00 for a box with 24 plastics.
Maybe once or twice a year there was a moment (like my birthday) that my parents would give me a bigger box I would never be able to collect the money for, but playing something like Dol Amroth, Arnor or any list that includes metals mostly was impossible for me anyway. I had to stick to Uruk-Hai, Rohan and maybe some High Elves.

I was a happy kid, but it's sad that the game is becoming more and more exclusive to adults. In the end, (come on guys, be reasonable here), it's a childrens thing to play battles with miniature toys. ;-)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:27 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yeah, I mean I get it. They need to make money and presumably they're going out a bit on a limb to resupport the hobbit and lotr, but for me at least, this is about where I draw the line and that kind of sucks. I am happy they're still making new models and that's great for everyone who can afford and wants to pay but its kind of a bummer to feel excluded from a game I've really enjoyed. I will still probably pick a few more sets here. I still really want one of the new trolls but considering how hard to play the game is where I live anyways its just starting to be too hard and too expensive to be sustainable for me, which is kind of a shame.

P
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:32 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I could just about justify stretching out to purchase Dain (mainly because he's one of my favourite characters from the book). But the other Forge World Hobbit releases I can't justify. Why are Forge World producing them anyway, rather than Games Workshop?

On a lighter note, I wonder what the next releases will include. I suspect they'll sell the new Laketown Heroes as pack, rather than individuals.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:37 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

emre43 wrote:
On a lighter note, I wonder what the next releases will include. I suspect they'll sell the new Laketown Heroes as pack, rather than individuals.

I don't know why, but I have a feeling they'll first complete the Iron Hills list before they'll move on to Dale/Thranduil's Halls.
Just a feeling though. :)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:47 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Sephalo wrote:
emre43 wrote:

I don't know why, but I have a feeling they'll first complete the Iron Hills list before they'll move on to Dale/Thranduil's Halls.
Just a feeling though. :)

I've obviously forgotten something from the Iron Hills list. I thought that was the last Iron Hills release.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:22 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

There is that little chariot thingy. ;)

And the warriors with crossbows at least (possibly a full pack with sword/shield or mattock too, although I imagine those are less of a priority). A few heroes on goat may also see an appearance.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:41 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

polywags wrote:
Yeah, I mean I get it. They need to make money and presumably they're going out a bit on a limb to resupport the hobbit and lotr, but for me at least, this is about where I draw the line and that kind of sucks. I am happy they're still making new models and that's great for everyone who can afford and wants to pay but its kind of a bummer to feel excluded from a game I've really enjoyed. I will still probably pick a few more sets here. I still really want one of the new trolls but considering how hard to play the game is where I live anyways its just starting to be too hard and too expensive to be sustainable for me, which is kind of a shame.

Here's the thing for me - I like some of the GW designs, big fan of the Perrys, and do purchase from eBay where I can to get hold of those, but I don't tie myself into GW or FW exclusively. I like to have my own take on things where I can, and find more reward from building or sourcing things from elsewhere. Rings and the hobby exist outside of the GW eco system, so concentrate on the things you like rather than the annoyance of the company grasping at £££ like they do.

Last edited by Kitsune 666 on Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:42 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
There is that little chariot thingy. ;)

And the warriors with crossbows at least (possibly a full pack with sword/shield or mattock too, although I imagine those are less of a priority). A few heroes on goat may also see an appearance.

Oh yeah!

Personally, I wouldn't have thought all of those things will be released. Isn't there an LotR supplement coming out in the summer for them to focus on?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The two i'm waiting for with baited breath are azog in armour with the flail & thranduil on the elk ; i'm still holding hope that in time we may see some new & reasonably priced plastic sets or 'upgrade / conversion' packs for this system in the same way that FW have produced for 40k.

One thing's for sure, after 17 years, this game system remains as popular as ever & that's surely good news for everyone :)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:43 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

btw, if there's any members of GW here... any chance of a FW version of treebeard being released in the future? pretty please!!! :)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:32 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

jhk2005 wrote:
btw, if there's any members of GW here... any chance of a FW version of treebeard being released in the future? pretty please!!! :)

Now that i would love to see! i doubt it though as we have a plastic Ent kit and Tree Beard already (now Finecast and actually a lot easier to glue together)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:27 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

jhk2005 wrote:

You want a resin model, of a model that's already done and out there in a better material(metal)??

For like $150?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:01 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I think he meant the resin version of treebeard would be easier to glue together. In my experience the larger metal models could be a real nightmare.

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:20 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Yes i've got the metal and resin version of Treebeard, gluing the leaves on the metal with such a small contact area is a nightmare, ok for a cabinet but not on the gaming table. The resin is much stronger on the join for small pieces

Don't get me wrong, i'm old school, love metal, the feel of it, but on large models or fine detail like Ents, resin every time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:55 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Dead Marsh Spectre wrote:
I think he meant the resin version of treebeard would be easier to glue together. In my experience the larger metal models could be a real nightmare.

and i think he meant also that a new treebeard made by FW would be ten times (or more) better than the the current one!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:47 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I quite like the current Treebeard to be honest lol

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 473 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 24  Next