All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:04 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Forge World open day news
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:39 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Does anyone remember what else the Perry's sculpted? I remember there being a forum post that listed some Iron Hills stuff they sculpted, but I can't seem to find it now. I'm curious to know if the new dwarves were done by them, or re-done by someone else. Also I'd like to know if they made Dwarf cavalry to see if Forge World might release them later. Otherwise I'm going for proxies.
Thanks!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:31 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The rumors were that the new rule book is coming out in Dec and that there are profiles for "everything cool" from the movies and that everything that gets a profile they want to sculpt. So it sounds like its just a matter of time and approval from the studio. I haven't gotten to see the book though so that's just internet hear say but I've heard that from a few different people now so it seems likely. Who knows on the timeline though. I imagine at least 6 months to a year if we haven't seen any pictures? But again that's just a guess.

Yes they are very expensive but they're very cool and since they're pretty elite units they're more comparable to like metal blisters, which they're actually a little cheaper. Dain is a reasonable chunk more but you'd only ever want one of him and you get the scenic bases too which are worth at least a couple extra bucks. I totally hear everyone on the price but I for one am willing to splurge for these dwarves. I am probably not as interested in the up coming evil stuff so I feel ok getting a solid chunk of dwarves.

P
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:54 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The price is way better than I thought it was going to be! No complaints here. I just hope they sell well so more gets made :) I just wish I knew if they were going to do the chariot or dwarf cavalry since there are good proxies available now.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:10 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I think they are going to do the chariots! Check out some of the news videos and coverage from Andreas but it was my impression they are planning to.

P
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:27 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Honestly, I'm kinda disappointed by the bundles. Usually a bundle is more convenient because it allows you to save money, but here the prices are just the prices of the items combined.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:50 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Wasn't going to but pre-ordered 1 of each

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:40 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

They're basically on a policy that every profile needs to have a miniature available, and seeing how the chariot has rules, we'll definitely see it.. at some point. I can't remember having seen any models in the book that haven't been previewed yet, so there is no telling whether any of those figures are (nearly) finished or design has barely started at this stage. Maybe they'll flesh out the full Iron Hills range after the upcoming Gundabad releases, maybe not - although I'd expect some regular command figures soon, to make them playable as a normal force (now you're stuck with Engineer captains as leaders).

Sculpts (and quality of casting) are obviously terrific, although I'll save my money for any Mirkwood things we might see. Wouldn't hesitate to pick up a seperate Dain on foot though, that is a thing of beauty.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:43 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

salamanderdan wrote:
chranos wrote:
MacCollac wrote:
So expensive...

Iron Hills Dwarfs are £20 cheaper for 12 than finecast infantry

And £20 more expensive than Warriors of Erebor

I totally agree: thoses prices are insane ! Who can decently spend so much money for what remains plastic minis ?... I really do not understand why prices raised so much since the release of Mirkwood Rangers and Rivendell Knights which were the last minis at a decent price ...
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:14 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

thanatos95 wrote:
salamanderdan wrote:
chranos wrote:
{quote} So expensive...{/quote}

Iron Hills Dwarfs are £20 cheaper for 12 than finecast infantry

And £20 more expensive than Warriors of Erebor

I totally agree: thoses prices are insane ! Who can decently spend so much money for what remains plastic minis ?... I really do not understand why prices raised so much since the release of Mirkwood Rangers and Rivendell Knights which were the last minis at a decent price ...

Don't forget Erebors are in plastic, and Iron Hills are in FW resin, that is the difference.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:28 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Resin isn't exactly the same material as that of typical 'hard plastic' miniatures - that's like saying iron and silver are identical, as both are metals...
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:00 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I did my part and ordered two sets of each of the releases...now I just can't wait for them to arrive. Perhaps we should have a dwarf painting competition for November!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:02 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Whoa, how did I miss all this?? Personally, I can't wait to see some more lotr stuff, none of the Hobbit stuff has really caught my eye, to be honest.
Anyway, I'm just glad for the continued support from GW, I honestly thought this hobby was doomed a few years ago.

-PoW

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:19 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Been at a convention for a couple of days so I have not had the time to reply to all comments.

ok here goes:

- FW resin is more expensive than plastic yes, but vs finecast the quality is better and cheaper.

- Perry twins sculpted a number of concept miniatures for botfa but these were never released or shown. These new miniatures are sculpted in CAD by the new middle earth team (ballista done in the sculptors free time no less because he enjoyed the miniatures immensely)

- Regarding the Chariot and goat riders
Jay Clare (rules writer) and Adam Troke (Project Manager) has a moniker. "is it cool? is it in the movies?
Rules for every concieveable miniature from Desolation of smaug and Battle of the five armies are in the there and back again book which will cost £35 and along with the laketown house kit (£25) will be available for preorder on the GW WEBSITE and FORGE WORLD site on nov 26th with release Dec 3rd
The rules for goats are cool, chance of knockdown but no damage during charge, the characters riding goats in the movie can take them. So Thorin, Dwalin, Fili and Kili plus Iron Hills Captain.
Chariot is a whopping 100 moria goblins with shields worth with the 4 champions of erebor on it but a lot less with normal iron hills dwarves on it.

There are no new pictures of models we have not already seen in the there and back again book. Gundabad stuff, Iron Hills stuff are there but even though everything else has rules additional laketown characters, gundabad troops, etc etc etc they wanted to get the book out first. We will see the TONS of miniatures released during the next 6-8 months before they take on the next big task that is to make the new Middle-earth SBG rulebook.

-Andreas "the Norwegian Viking"

Support STF on patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/spillforeningenthefellowship
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:57 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

wow thats awesome! Any tidbits for how the chariots work and how many gobos are the goat riders?

P
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:50 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I guessed right about the knockdown rule!

Regarding prices... The sculptures quality seems better and they are cheaper than their warhammer counterpart, but still more expensive than the hobbit/lotr range, plus no free shipping under 250£, which basically makes them cost 5£ more at the very least, which makes a box of warriors 45£. I do not have a high income, so for me, they are very expensive.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:38 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

polywags wrote:
wow thats awesome! Any tidbits for how the chariots work and how many gobos are the goat riders?

how many gobos?

Support STF on patreon:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:11 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

chranos wrote:
polywags wrote:

how many gobos?

How many goblins.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:28 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

oh haha. Don't remember. Sadly I dont have a photographic memory. I would love to have one but then Nick would not have given me a flick trough of the new book.

Support STF on patreon:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:52 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Haha fair enough. I'd bet 17-20? Add a horse to the dwarves then subtract a spear but they have probably mountain climber and knock down rule so maybe more?

P
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:37 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

polywags wrote:
Haha fair enough. I'd bet 17-20? Add a horse to the dwarves then subtract a spear but they have probably mountain climber and knock down rule so maybe more?

my guess-
Hero's+15
Warriors=17=20 as well depending on if the goats count as armoured! :)
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next