All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:05 pm

Post subject: Warhammer Fest 2017
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:12 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Great day yesterday, key points -

New Generals pack with markers and army lists sheets (to plan your own list) out in next 2 months
Pictures below of new releases
Nazgul in planning stage, not sure of they will be static or jumping atround like in the film
Dwarf Heros for the Chariot will be released, maybe in a upgrade pack, but the chariot is different as it has a cow catcher on the front
Updated rules summer 2018, see the picture below
Battle Companies with 80 pages, not 64 coming soon
GW very pleased how Middle earth is selling, its a long licence which will be renewed.
"there and back again" sells are very high, on its third reprint
No more plastics, only forge world resin
Gwaihir was sculpted a few years ago by Aly Morrison, who upgraded the base this year. they have more sculpts stashed away!
The Dwarf cross bow men are nicknamed "boar-listas" as the cross bow has a boars head at the front!

The future looks great, brilliant day chatting to the rule writer and the guys sculpting the minis

Post subject: Re: Warhammer Fest 2017
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:10 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for the brilliant news!
As always, I'm jumping up and down in joy and my wallet has hidden somewhere in the meantime.
It's great that they'll continue to back the system up.

PM for commission work
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:24 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks for the info!
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:58 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks for the info Harfoot.

I am frustrated with the direction this project goes. They are stopping plastics while most of people are complaining about prices and 12-man plastic sprues. I am curious why this is going so well. Maybe this support your hobby propaganda. Nevermind...

What I actually wonna ask is that in the photo with the general's package(not included in this post) there is a scenario #12 "storm the camp" if I am not mistaken. Did they say if we are going to have 12 scenarios for the standard tournaments soon? Many other games use 12 and not 6 after some editions that's why I am saying that.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:28 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Forgot to mention, in the updated rule book summer next year, Rohan will be made more powerful in line with how Tolkien depicted them. Good news

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:57 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks a lot for the info Harfoot! Excellent news from the Mark, especially the upcoming lake-town releases (although bard's family looks a lot more terrified than I remembered from the films :-D )
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:49 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the info, I have one question, though:

Harfoot wrote:
Great day yesterday, key points -

New Generals pack with markers and army lists sheets (to plan your own list) out in next 2 months

Do you know, what we can expect from this "Generals pack?" Does this mean new command units or is it simply a name for a pack with markers and army lists?
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:55 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Was there any indication that the gw line of ME minis would be phasedout and replaced with FW? For example, will GW stop producing Faramir and be replaced with a FW version as they move onto the fall of osgiliath?
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:29 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'm really pleased that the support is going so well, but "no more plastics, only forge world resin"??? That concerns me greatly... if current prices are anything to go by, that is not good news sorry ; i'm still wrestling with my concious over whether paying £45 for 3 goat riders is value for money?

Does this mean the original plastic sets will be phased out or maintained? I hope to god they reconsider this or large scale battles: helm's deep, pelennor fields etc (which i'm a big fan of) are in danger of becoming history :(
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:51 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

No *new* plastics. Any releases in the forseeable future will be Forge World resin. As has been the situation for a while now, just confirmed once more.
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:18 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

A pity that there will be no new plastics. Forgeworld resin is way beyond my price range. So are many of the current plastic heroes so I foresee staying with what we (Grandad, Callum, Aiden and Nathan) already have and converting or buying more affordable proxies.
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:23 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

A lot of interesting bits from the seminar, in particular the battle companies and revisiting LOTR era sounds great.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:34 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I still think that there could be plastics in the future, but not the near future. We brought our hobby back from the dead with our support, there's still hope! We went 5 years without any support, after all. We've shown enough community interest to create new battle companies too.

Not a big fan of the dwarf crossbows. They look too much like riflemen. Where's the crossbar? Super excited about the new Lake Town civilian heroes, I loved their profiles too. A must-buy for me. I'm also super excited about revisiting Pelennor and Osgiliath. Looks like my current terrain projects are right on track. I'll have a nice Osgiliath by this time next year. I'm having a great time converting Osgiliath vets too. Might have to invest in some new mumakil and Haradrim raiders. Hopefully this means Far Harad will get its blowpipes reprinted! Who else thinks we'll get a "That only counts as one" forge world mini?

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:16 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:28 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I am very excited for these and I plan to buy them. Despite that.... Bain's forehead is really small....
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:39 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I was really looking forward to this release but I'm sorry those faces on bards children are some of the worst I've ever seen from both the hobbit and lotr range. Even the picture of the unpainted ones look horrid so it's not just the paint job.

It's weird because the other 2 lake town heroes look spot on and really good quality. Overall I am excited for these new releases, can't wait to see the goblin mercenaries completed

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:03 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Green_Dragon wrote:
I'm sorry those faces on bards children are some of the worst I've ever seen from both the hobbit and lotr range. Even the picture of the unpainted ones look horrid so it's not just the paint job.

I have to disagree with this. I had a good look at the unpainted at warhammerfest and they looked fine to me. The problem with the painted ones is the highlight placement on the faces. It makes them lack definition in the places that should be defined and have too much definition in the places where it shouldn't be like inbetween the eyes.

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:13 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Dead Marsh Spectre wrote:
Green_Dragon wrote:
I'm sorry those faces on bards children are some of the worst I've ever seen from both the hobbit and lotr range. Even the picture of the unpainted ones look horrid so it's not just the paint job.

I have to disagree with this. I had a good look at the unpainted at warhammerfest and they looked fine to me. The problem with the painted ones is the highlight placement on the faces. It makes them lack definition in the places that should be defined and have too much definition in the places where it shouldn't be like inbetween the eyes.

The gaping mouths just don't look right to me but each to their own I'll still buy them anyway

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:29 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

tbh I don't think the paintjobs are really doing the latest releases justice. I think it is the choice of colours and the overall appearance is too light/bright from too much highlighting? but just my personal opinion. Overall the sculpting is such a high quality with forgeworld releases I find they sometimes need 'less' of a paintjob to bring out the best of them.
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:53 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Various Forge World releases have been painted using this fairly peculiar technique that I'm not much of a fan of either - these remind me of some of the Bloodbowl figures, which looked much better unpainted than on promotional pictures. Would assume it's the case here too, as I can't imagine the minis to be as bad as they appear...