Loremaster
Loremaster

Up for pre-orders next weekend.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... -everyone/

Post subject: Re: Scouring of the Shire II
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:37 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yay! I just wish the ruffians were in 3 or 4 packs instead of a giant horde. I've been accumulating them over time and don't know how many I will need.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:46 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Pre-orders are up, including Forgeworld and the hobbit hole pieces.

If you need inspiration for your hobbit holes:

https://www.wetanz.com/search?q=hobbit+holes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:15 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Got my modest preorder of the book and some Hobbits in! Can't wait to receive them in the coming weeks :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:34 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

My hobby budget is a bit tight right now, so currently I'll only be picking up the book. However I'm definitely planning to purchase Bandobras, Golfimbul and 2 packs of Ruffians. Love this steady flow of (re-)releases!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:52 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Just ordered it with a couple of FW bits

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:42 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Still no new hobbit minis released, are there?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:29 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The hobbit-holes are available from Forge World now, but none of the new Forge World hobbit miniatures yet.

I reckon there'll be some fairly soon though. And the UK has the Ardacon event August 16-18 so there might be some pre-release stock there, or some new pictures shown. Don't think we've seen Hamfast Gamgee or Rosie Cotton yet.

I think you need two packs of ruffians (24 in total) for the scenarios in the new supplement, though of course you could also play with proxy models for some or all of them.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:35 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hmm, I have 18 ruffians from the old days. But I was never one to care for the larger scenarios anyway. I did pick up the book but I haven't had a chance to look at it yet.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:46 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The old 'Scouring of the Shire" was a fan favorite, (don't believe me, go see Lachie geeking out about it on Zorpazorp gaming on Youtube) so how does the new supplement stack up?

It's certainly much smaller than "Gondor at War". I was struck by the beautiful maps on the inside cover, a great and thematic addition. Most of the content from the original is there, just presented differently. The personalities of the shire write-ups are now included in the character profiles, as per usual. The history and timeline of the shire is again included, though this time better written to include more of the conflict that is represented in the scenarios--a delightful improvement.

There are plenty of new scenarios and almost all the original scenarios made it. Let's take a look at them, shall we? "Maggot's Farm" is an exact reprint, even using the original photos, but most of the rest of the classic scenarios have been revised and updated as promised. "The Old Storehouse" and "Battle at Bywater" see an update with new rules and characters for both sides. "Beating the Bounds" has become "Bounders Strike Back", which retains its original trap-laden flavour but has new trap rules and heroes. "Brokenborings" has new objectives and new evil combatants. "Southfarthing" becomes "Attack on Tuckborough" with new combatants, but the same basic scenario.

The appendix includes the scenarios in the history of the Shire that were not part of the epilogue of the "Return of the King". Many of the most famous events are brought over from the original. "Greenfields" is only slightly changed, probably to reflect Golfimbul's new profile. "Wolves of Winter" is almost a complete reprint, with only the evil deployment changing ever so little. "Road to Rivendell" is fittingly the last scenario in the book once again and the combatant list has been changed to reflect that wood elves are no longer Galadhrim and otherwise modernized, but this scenario is otherwise basically unchanged.

Lost scenarios include: "Founding of the Shire", which really was a simple skirmish across the river with the addition of a rogue troll; "Odovacar's Prominade", which had some really strange rules involving trees, so it makes sense it was cut; and "Whatever Happened to Halfast", which involved hobbits against the barrow wights.

Is this book essentially just a reprint then? I'm kind of on the fence about this. Yes and no. There are plenty of new scenarios to feed an appetite bigger than a gathering of hobbits at the Party Tree, and they have fun new mechanics. However, there is a big chunk of the book that is updated scenarios. The big difference is the inclusion of special characters in every scenario. Yes, really! There are more new profiles than Lobelia can shake an umbrella at, for both hobbits and ruffians. Some of the hobbits have some really quirky new rules that seem very fun and thematic. The campaign challenge seems really well thought out and a great challenge for veteran players who want to turn up the heat. So while rife with reprints, it seems more nostalgic than lazy.

The scenarios feature beautiful terrain from the pages of the last of the "Battle Games in Middle Earth" magazine, which have never before been seen outside of that magazine. (Instructions to build these can be found there.) They also show off the new hobbit house kit beautifully. I personally would rather have had more scenarios, even the redundant ones of the past, rather than the how to build hobbit holes section. This would've made a great movie instead.

Conclusion: I'm glad I bought it, but will likely proxy a good number of the unique troops.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:52 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I did forget to mention the new Legendary armies, and they seem pretty fun as well. Both hobbits and ruffians get a host of special rules in their Legendary lists. I really appreciated the highlight on the hobbit characters with strange profiles, as I'd been wondering myself what to make of these special rules.

This is quite a terrain intensive book. It needs lots of trees, fields, a river, fires and at least four hobbit holes, not to mention the odd other scenario specific terrain element. Of course, you can always make do--loaf tins make pretty good hobbit holes when turned upside down.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:57 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I hope these mini's get released soon while I'm still hyped up. I bought the book, and a few ruffians, but I wanna play through it and without miniatures... Any guesses when we might see them or some of them being released?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:10 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for the nice review, GreatKhanArtist.

And the question still remains, when the new minis will be released. Don't see why proxies can't be used in the meantime, though.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:53 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The manager of my local GW didn't even know there were gonna be new LOTR releases, and he's usually well-informed, so I guess it won't be happening anytime soon.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:27 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Amarthadan wrote:
The manager of my local GW didn't even know there were gonna be new LOTR releases, and he's usually well-informed, so I guess it won't be happening anytime soon.

Odd.
Usually I would think at least some of them would come out along with the book.

This brings back memories for me though, Scouring of the Shire was one of the old favorites.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:25 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Well, 2 hobbits and 3 ruffian leaders are now on sale for pre-orders.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... re-orders/
I'll waith some time, but maybe I will put them in my basket later. I like the sculpts!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:52 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Amarthadan wrote:
Forge World isn't stocked at GW stores though, so I can see staff having no or limited information about what goes on there.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:24 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
Amarthadan wrote:
Forge World isn't stocked at GW stores though, so I can see staff having no or limited information about what goes on there.

Yup, I'm aware, but he usually knows about that stuff. Still, good to see pre-orders now!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Got the book agreed its not bad, just need to get some hobbits together now!