All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:00 am

Post subject: Thorin Stonehelm and Old Dain
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:40 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/03/29/defy-the-dark-lord-with-the-kings-under-the-mountain/

Glad we are getting models for Erebor in the war of the ring era, let's hope Dale are next.

Last edited by Mr Gimli on Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: Thorin Stonehelm and Old Dain
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:50 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Models look good. Really interesting to see some new themes being explored that weren't in the movies.

Yes, some new Dale people would be good ... I think Bard's grandson Brand becomes king at the time, so presumably he might be due for a model too?

Would like to see a supplement based on Thranduil/Galadriel cleansing Dol Guldur at the end of the War of the Ring too.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:17 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

This is epic news
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:16 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

The half-expected 'Shadows of the East' supplement has inflated into War for the North, glorious!

Expecting a King Brand + son bard duo too now, plus an Evil leader duo. None are named, so I'll bet on an easterling type and a black numernorean
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Looking forward to this supplement, something new.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:51 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Alex123 wrote:
Models look good. Really interesting to see some new themes being explored that weren't in the movies.

Yes, some new Dale people would be good ... I think Bard's grandson Brand becomes king at the time, so presumably he might be due for a model too?

Would like to see a supplement based on Thranduil/Galadriel cleansing Dol Guldur at the end of the War of the Ring too.

Speaking of the movies, I have to say I am pleased that they have swapped Dain's hammer back to an axe, just as it should be!

Brand seems very likely at this point, as he fought closely with (old) Dain.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:34 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I always wondered how GW would do the warriors for something like this. Make it based on Army of Thror or Iron Hills. I suppose Erebor Reclaimed was the natural place for it give the name. This will make it more of an army list as opposed to a legendary legion with delusions of grandeur.

Getting Thorin III is a surprise, but I'm glad for it despite his weird looking weapon. He definitely is adding another name to the list of powerfully special ruled dwarven heroes.

That said, I hope GW has got something else lined up for the Easterlings besides a new named hero to lead this campaign. As it stands, I can't see Easterlings and Khand being able to mount much of a challenge to Iron Hills warriors, these two heroes, whatever is left of Thorin's company, plus Brand and the men of Dale.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:43 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'm so-so on the Thorin III -- the paint job on the face isn't helping, I think -- but Old Dain looks great. I'll pick 'em both up, assuming they don't sell out immediately like Quickbeam.

Is the red axe canon, or artistic license?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:50 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The red axe comes from one sentence in appendix A, "Up the stairs leaped a Dwarf with a red axe. It was Dain Ironfoot, Nain's son. Right before the doors he caught Azog, and there he slew him, and hewed off his head."

It could be the axe was red, or just red with blood from the battle Dain had been in prior to confronting Azog. Interpret it as you want.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:24 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Wan Shi Tong wrote:
I always wondered how GW would do the warriors for something like this. Make it based on Army of Thror or Iron Hills. I suppose Erebor Reclaimed was the natural place for it give the name. This will make it more of an army list as opposed to a legendary legion with delusions of grandeur.

Getting Thorin III is a surprise, but I'm glad for it despite his weird looking weapon. He definitely is adding another name to the list of powerfully special ruled dwarven heroes.

That said, I hope GW has got something else lined up for the Easterlings besides a new named hero to lead this campaign. As it stands, I can't see Easterlings and Khand being able to mount much of a challenge to Iron Hills warriors, these two heroes, whatever is left of Thorin's company, plus Brand and the men of Dale.

I am hoping they will add something to visually diffentiate Erebor Reclaimed from the other Dwarven armies. A new pack of shields for the Iron Hills warriors might be a good way to do this.

Agreed on the Easterlings, they are going to need a bit of love if they are going to sack Dale. I don't think the Acolytes are going to quite cut it on their own!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:54 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Yes, there will need to be some more love for the Easterlings. I just hope their Khandish allies will finally get some much needed returns and additions. Chieftains and an option to bow arm charioteers without conversion would be a good start.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:42 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Models are being released this week:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/202 ... st-prince/
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:54 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The preliminary rules for Dain and Thorin have been released with the pre-order on Forge-World. It also contains model restrictions when taking either as part of the list. The dead members of the company plus Bombar are lost but the others are still around and might appear in their fancy armor in the upcoming book's scenarios, which would be cool. Also, Brand and Bard II are confirmed to be coming too.

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/PDF/Downloads/Dain_Thorin_Rules_Download.pdf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:16 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Is it just me but I really do not like the look of that war pick?
Was thinking of replacing it with a medieval style warpick - war hammer . Otherwise it is not really in keeping with the rest of the collection. Looks more like warhammer fantasy .

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:22 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I agree on the war pick, something about it just isn't right to me. Looked at your blog, you have some very nice tables (have I said that before?)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:29 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

That’s decided then if it is not just me - trying to find a site that sells 28mm warhammers. Thanks for checking out the blog and the positive feedback on the tables. Lord of the rings always inspires.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:57 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Cutting off one of the picks and having a khazad guard axe might be my plan of action
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:20 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Mapper wrote:
The red axe comes from one sentence in appendix A, "Up the stairs leaped a Dwarf with a red axe. It was Dain Ironfoot, Nain's son. Right before the doors he caught Azog, and there he slew him, and hewed off his head."

It could be the axe was red, or just red with blood from the battle Dain had been in prior to confronting Azog. Interpret it as you want.

Considering orc blood is black, not red, I take the ‘red axe’ description very literally.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:24 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Fair enough

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:31 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Got Thorin and Dain in the post yesterday and built them this morning.

I think Thorin's weapon looks better in real-life than in the photos on the website. He seems to be holding it in an odd way in the photo ... why not have it pointing forward ready to attack?

But he's actually very dynamic, running into battle with only half a foot on the ground, so I think it makes more sense in the round. He's going high-speed with his arm trailing to his side as he runs.