All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:07 pm

Post subject: Battle in Balin's Tomb - back for order
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:43 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yay or nay? Thought the price should be a little bit lower but still not a deal breaker if you can get it cheaper through other sources.

Bright blue plastic for Fellowship and bright red for the goblins was a surprise. How does that plastic hold primer? At least the cave troll is still grey.

Playthrough on YouTube looked kinda boring but I have to admit I skipped a lot, not going to watch for 90 minutes where they didn't even use the pieces from the game. They said a game they played before hand only took about 30 minutes.

Still up in the air about buying this

Last edited by Mapper on Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
 Post subject: Re: New Balin's Tomb game
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:04 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'm going to get this simply because I don't have that Fellowship set or that cave troll, and there's always room for a few extra goblins (!) so it's a pretty good price for the miniatures.

Not sure if I'll play the game, but might use the board as a mat to try the scenario with the normal rules. (Could be quicker to play with the rules I already know than learning a new set!)

I've had other GW miniatures in coloured plastic and I haven't found it makes any difference in terms of getting paint to stick to it.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:12 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I thought the price was high, especially for what's supposed to be an introductory, reel-'em-in game. I was on fence anyway because I already have the all of the figures in multiple poses and more goblins than I can ever use. But the sticker shock put me the "pass" category.

I wish GW all the best with it though. Hope it sells like hotcakes and then I regret it when it's no longer available in two years and it's selling on eBay for $200. :)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:18 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I like the idea of a board game feel for the game, gives it a nice twist, and not everybody has an eight foot table to war game on.

I'm curious about the scenario. It's the full Fellowship against 12 goblins and a cave troll. Seems a bit overmatched at first glance. I wonder what the objective is? Maybe get off the board without any casualties? Or a minimum number of casualties? A kind of "protect the hobbits" type of thing?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:28 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I expect the goblins probably recycle and every time you kill one it can reappear, or something like that, so there's probably a lot more than 12 to balance the game.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:37 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

And it is sold out in the US

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:06 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Mapper wrote:
And it is sold out in the US

Well that stinks, I had some interest in getting this, even though I have all the minis. I liked the board game approach. It doesn't appear that it will be available again since it says "no longer available".

I was looking at some reviews, it appears that the cards included have some effect on the game also, it's not simply a direct transfer of the battle game played on a board. I'm not even sure if the game uses might, it looks like each character has some unique abilities.

The review did say that to win, three members of the fellowship had to survive (including Frodo). If Frodo didn't survive, but you still had three members alive, it's a draw.

Oh well, it's sold out anyway.
 Post subject: Balin's Tomb - back in stock
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:30 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It appears to be back in stock! Both the US and UK stores. Take that Ebay'ers!

Post subject: Re: Balin's Tomb - back in stock
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:30 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Mapper wrote:
It appears to be back in stock! Both the US and UK stores. Take that Ebay'ers!

That's cool. I forget how GW's terminology works. When it said "No longer available" I took that to mean that was all that would be sold.
 Post subject: Re: Balin's Tomb - ordered
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:16 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ordered it today. I first went to my local game store that has some LOTR hoping that they might have a copy - nope. I then went to my local Games Workshop store, same answer. They didn't have a copy and didn't even order any. The manager there was surprised when I told him that it was back in stock after he told me it was no longer available.

I did order it from the store to give it the credit but having it delivered to my home.

A side note, the GW store's paint rack was poorly stocked as well, supply and delivery issues even for the GW store.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:20 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Mapper wrote:
Ordered it today.

I also ordered one. I'm curious to see if there are any unique rules. The game gets no local support near me, nor has it ever, so I'm not concerned about the brick and mortar stores. I mainly just keep my hand in as a collector and as a Tolkien lover.

Journeys in Middle Earth is a pretty cool Tolkien game if you're open to suggestions. Apologies, I know this is off topic for this section.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:52 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I got mine the other day, it really is set up as a board game, as opposed to the SBG. The rules are different (although similar). As Alex said, there is a recycling system for the goblins.

Generally, it's kind of a simplified version of the SBG (oversimplified, I'm sure some would say), but there's just the one scenario. It's interesting to see the minis in blue, red, and gray plastic.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:20 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Received and first impressions at viewtopic.php?f=40&t=34683

Post subject: Re: Balin's Tomb - received
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:55 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I've heard some players who liked this were hoping for a series of sequels to this game. Really, any sort of scenario or scene from the movie could be adapted to the board game format, like Amon Hen for instance. I've long thought the SBG would be interesting on a board with hexagons (or in this case, squares) instead of requiring all the measuring. The cards are nice (and even the regular SBG cards have sold out quickly).

I know I would find a sequel interesting, maybe GW could put one out every Christmas with minimal effort (since the minis already exist). I tend to prefer board games to wargaming though, so maybe I'm an exception. But it sounds like this has been successful.
 Post subject: Re: Balin's Tomb - received
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:33 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The plastic being a different colour has no impact on paint adherence. It is chemically the same as grey.

Post subject: Re: Battle in Balin's Tomb - back for order
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:11 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

https://www.warhammer-community.com/202 ... 0-terrain/ At the very end where they put Middle Earth news.

The main complaint I have seen elsewhere is the age of the figures. I think they do just fine for this game and if you are trying to introduce a younger player into playing Middle Earth, the figures aren't so detailed to discourage painting, especially for table top standard which this game calls for.

Would recommend getting the Mines of Moria terrain set to go along with it, adds some fun to the game.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Surprisingly still "reasonable" priced, get the Fellowship, goblins and a Cave Troll plus a game board. Add the Mines of Moria terrain set and it's less than $120 US. For GW, that's not bad.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:12 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The price is simply too high for what you're getting, imo. This looks like a US$35 board game to me, but they are asking $80.

Similar Games Workshop board games that have released over the past year (Blitz Bowl, Combat Arena, Space Marine, Underworlds Starter Set) have been in the $35-$60 price range, with significantly higher-quality miniatures.

Problem is...Games Workshop charges $50 for that Felllowship sprue alone. So they can't possibly sell this entire board game for $50.

My group is more interested in just playing the actual SBG scenario for Balin's Tomb.