All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:45 pm

Post subject: Battle of Osgiliath
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:30 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

After being available in local game stores for a couple weeks, it is now available for pre-order (again). My question is, any long time lotr gamers buying it?

I really don't need any more trolls, orcs or warriors of minas tirith/rangers.

The scenery looks nice but besides Zorpazorp on youtube I haven't seen anyone put it together besides the way they show it, and it really doesn't excite me that much.

The new depictions of old figures isn't enough for me to buy the set.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Battle of Osgiliath
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:10 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

If you're new to the game, it's a really good value introduction. You could pick this up, get a few more troops later on and soon have 700 point good and evil armies and all the rules you need to be covered for hours of gaming, or tournaments.

If you've already got lots of Minas Tirith and orcs it's not a must buy. But it could still be good value for a lot of collectors. I got it mainly to collect and paint the new versions of the heroes, and for the scenery. But a spare (and updated) rulebook is handy too. And I might use the warriors for conversions, or to upgrade some of my existing armies from 700 to 1,000 points.

(I actually got a mis-packed box with 36 Minas Tirith warriors and 12 orcs, instead of 12 Minas Tirith, 12 rangers and 24 orcs, but am happy enough with that).

Worth noting that it looks like a bigger Minas Tirith scenery kit is coming later, with four sprues instead of the two in this starter box. The full kit should allow you to build non-ruined buildings with rooves. I'm looking forward to that coming out to try getting enough matching bits for an Osgiliath board.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:04 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I agree if newish to the game it's a good deal. I'm not a collector so the new poses aren't a reason for me. There is also a rumor that a new scenery set might include some stairs, hopefully some new statues also.

The price point in the US is just off enough for me not to buy it, even though figures for conversions does sound tempting. My one local non-GW store that carries GW/LOTR products does 10% off warhammer, etc but not LOTR (!?!) Must not be a big enough seller to discount for them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:17 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Like Alex123, I bought it for the scenery, updated book, new scenarios, and the wistful thought I might try War of the Ring sometime and need a million Morannon Orcs and Warriors of Minas Tirith.

One slight correction, though: it's got four sprues of ruins, not two. Well, it's two two-sprue sets, if you see what I mean.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:03 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I was wondering is the Mordor Troll multi-variant kit that can be used for an Isengard Troll or Troll Drummer? Mine are all the old metal ones plus one from Reaper. I took one of the Troll catapult pushers and made him a drum and a club to beat it, but would like a double drum version too.

http://sfdfsfd.wordpress.com/
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:39 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

lostpict wrote:
I was wondering is the Mordor Troll multi-variant kit that can be used for an Isengard Troll or Troll Drummer? Mine are all the old metal ones plus one from Reaper. I took one of the Troll catapult pushers and made him a drum and a club to beat it, but would like a double drum version too.

Yes, it is the regular plastic Mordor / Isengard Troll kit, so you can build whatever Troll you want with it, including the Drummer or Isengard Troll.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:24 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks, that good to know. Gives the Dark Lord options.

http://sfdfsfd.wordpress.com/