All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:02 am

Post subject: New Osgiliath Terrain sets
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:35 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

GW has showed off some new plastic terrain for Osgiliath that will be released this year. Looks like a nice addition to the stuff that was in the starter set. I'll be interested to see what the price ends up being though.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/01/06/recreating-the-ruined-city-of-osgiliath-with-awesome-new-terrain/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=middle-earth&utm_content=osgiliath-terrian-reveal---interview

Post subject: Re: New Osgiliath Terrain sets
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:46 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The new tower and mansion kits look like a really great addition. The scenery kits must be doing quite well even with the competition from 3D printing these days.

If I could make one idea for Games Workshop ... what about releasing some extra instruction booklets for building alternative buildings from the kits? You could either put these up for free, or even charge £5 as a PDF or something.

I know it's possible to build all sorts of new buildings by using the modular scenery kits. But they are expensive kits and I get a bit worried that if I just try building something without any instructions I'll run out of parts, or end up using only half a kit or something ...

There are rumours elsewhere of a Forgeworld Amon Hen head scenery model having been made. Would sort of make sense to go with the main Amon Hen model.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:06 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Really nice sets, but like you, concerned of the price. The graphic at the end of the video looks like it will be three separate sets so that should help somewhat.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:18 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Those kits look great. I suppose price will affect how many I get, but I think I'll pretty much have to get at least one of each.

Alex123, I like your idea of alternate design ideas. Maybe Zorpazorp will make some videos to fill the void, as he did with the Rohan houses? I'm still waiting for that Edoras build, though...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:32 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I already thought they would release nothing for the Two Towers anniversary ^^

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Looking at these sets again, I think I would build the tower and building undestroyed, and use them in a Pelargir or the dock where the dead arrive scenarios. Wouldn't feel the need for multiple sets if I avoid Osgiliath :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:16 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I did a big Osgiliath push in 2014. This news motivated me to look up my old photo log and post a blog entry today. Back then, I bought a couple of the old GW Osgiliath ruins kits and then painted a bunch of stuff to match. In particular, I think the a lot of the Gale Force 9 ruins with a repaint make great LOTR ruins. Looking forward to the three new GW kits.

http://sfdfsfd.wordpress.com/
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:30 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Those are some nice Osgiliath buildings, lostpick. A lot of them look like HirstArts, maybe?

In one of the images the tower dome is inverted and there's a figure there. What's the story there? At first glance I thought it might be an anti-Nazgûl radar dish.....
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:52 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

There are some Hirst Arts in the mix. Someone put an archer in the tower and did not want to forget his location, so flipped the lid. Other stuff are old GW Gothic ruins, some aquarium pieces, Thomarillion, plus the LOTR bits from various starters. Ipaonted it all to match the GW Minas Tirith walls.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:45 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

lostpict wrote:
There are some Hirst Arts in the mix. Someone put an archer in the tower and did not want to forget his location, so flipped the lid. Other stuff are old GW Gothic ruins, some aquarium pieces, Thomarillion, plus the LOTR bits from various starters. Ipaonted it all to match the GW Minas Tirith walls.

Any idea which molds?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I have some of his original prototype molds from back in the day. I think most of these ruin bits came from the Dragon Inn mold #51, Travelers Bridge mold #53, and the Turret mold #61.