All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:53 am

Post subject: More films from New Line?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:39 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Apparently there could be more films in the Middle Earth universe from Warner Bros/New Line:
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/f ... arner-bros

Sounds like this could be planning "expanded universe" films rather than re-making Hobbit and LOTR.

Sounds interesting ... and maybe some potential for game material one day.

(I'm not sure if this would be covered, but I think Siege of Gondolin in particular could make a pretty epic Peter Jackson movie).
 Post subject: Re: More films from New Line?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:14 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

They don’t have the rights to the Siege of Gondolin, but I’d love to see the Siege of Erebor, maybe a War of the Ring movie more generally. Balin’s expedition to Moria would also be something I’d love to see.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:57 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Will wait and see how this goes. there are several things would like to see more of in the LOTR world: as above, Balin's Expedition to Moria, the war between the dwarves and the orcs but having trouble seeing them as full length movies. Hope for the best, prepared for the worst.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:28 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

This sounds awesome, I would love to see Aragorn's travels as a movie.
Lets hope they don't make it as rubbish as the rings of power.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:58 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

It seems from comments that Warner are looking to "StarWars-ify" Lord of the Rings. So expect unproven/inexperienced diversity hire writers to invent some woke [word deleted] stories. :mad:

Peter Jackson says he wants to be involved as despite the Hobbit debacle he maintains he is the best "custodian" of the Tolkien IP. I suppose if he and his team directly write the stories and control the development of the characters it could work but as Hollywood these days is all about Virtue Signalling first and foremost that is unlikely to happen.

Whoever does it the options for material looks pretty thin. How much actual scope is there for 3rd Age movie length stories that have both a beginning and conclusion within the age and do not impact the events or timeline of the core story or characters?

Meanwhile amazing fantasy stories and worlds from authors like Robin Hobb, Joe Abercrombie, David Gemmell or Brent Weeks are crying out for wider recognition.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:14 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

What do you think about the new animated War of the Rohirrim film supposedly being launched next year?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:50 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

aethelwulf wrote:
What do you think about the new animated War of the Rohirrim film supposedly being launched next year?

I have not found much new on it since the Variety articles:
http://variety.com/2021/film/news/lord- ... 234993740/

http://variety.com/2022/film/news/lord- ... 235181646/

I am tentatively hopeful, Phillipa Boyens was involved from day 1 and Warner are on record saying it is linked to the Jackson/Boyens/Walsh vision of Middle Earth.

I did hear this week (via a LOTR fansite) is that Embracer Group could own the Silmarillion rights, so if they do work with Warner there are new options on potential storylines for further movies (lots of new options)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:09 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

robh wrote:
aethelwulf wrote:

I am tentatively hopeful, Phillipa Boyens was involved from day 1 and Warner are on record saying it is linked to the Jackson/Boyens/Walsh vision of Middle Earth.

I did hear this week (via a LOTR fansite) is that Embracer Group could own the Silmarillion rights, so if they do work with Warner there are new options on potential storylines for further movies (lots of new options)

That looks quite exciting, but we have to wait an entire year for its release :sad:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:45 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

robh wrote:
It seems from comments that Warner are looking to "StarWars-ify" Lord of the Rings. So expect unproven/inexperienced diversity hire writers to invent some woke [word deleted] stories. :mad:

Well wait, wasn't Tolkien's aim to create a mythology for 2023 Hollywood?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:00 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

robh wrote:
aethelwulf wrote:

Embracer Group has matching rights to the Silmarillion meaning they can match any offer that the Tolkien estate receive. I suppose this suggests the estate are at least open to the idea. But it'll take a number beyond reckoning to secure it. Perhaps someone like Elon Musk will do it since it's well known he is a big Tolkien fan and that he disliked the Amazon garbage
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:50 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Dark Istari wrote:
robh wrote:
aethelwulf wrote:

Embracer Group has matching rights to the Silmarillion meaning they can match any offer that the Tolkien estate receive. I suppose this suggests the estate are at least open to the idea. But it'll take a number beyond reckoning to secure it. Perhaps someone like Elon Musk will do it since it's well known he is a big Tolkien fan and that he disliked the Amazon garbage

Musky disliked the Amazon rubbish did he? Well good for him! I wonder what it would be like if he did one.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:12 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Embracer Group has matching rights to the Silmarillion meaning they can match any offer that the Tolkien estate receive. I suppose this suggests the estate are at least open to the idea. But it'll take a number beyond reckoning to secure it. Perhaps someone like Elon Musk will do it since it's well known he is a big Tolkien fan and that he disliked the Amazon garbage[/quote]

Musky disliked the Amazon rubbish did he? Well good for him! I wonder what it would be like if he did one.[/quote]

Indeed! Not that I have twitter but he tweeted 'Tolkien is rolling in his grave' or something along those lines. I mean it would be interesting if he backed a project, just to show how much better his project is than Bezoz's...and to also respect the author/source material.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:57 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Dark Istari wrote:
Embracer Group has matching rights to the Silmarillion meaning they can match any offer that the Tolkien estate receive.

I've been wanting some sort of Silmarillion based film for years, but I've come to the point where I doubt we'll ever get any - at least not anything resembling a real adaptation. Since seeing the Amazon show debacle, it's struck me that most audiences simply aren't sophisticated enough to absorb the real thing.

I even listen to a Tolkien podcast, and even those hosts act like The Silmarillion content is over the heads. And I don't know why they think that, because it isn't that daunting, all you have to do is sit down and read it. But I've started to think that any powers that be will not think that such material is commercially viable for the masses.