Post subject: [*] Using all Mounted Armies - by BrightLance
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:28 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Category: Tactics Guides
Article Type: Reference

Article Title: Using all Mounted Armies
Author: BrightLance
Article Description: Using forces compromised only of riders and knights.

>>Read Full Article
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:39 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Excellent Article my friend! Your tactics are very sound indeed.

One comment, you left my favorite all time "killer" hero - Eorl the Young - His extra movement rate, special might rules, and cheap cost makes him an indispensible leader for an all mounted Rohan Army.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Very well thought out!
Nicely put together!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:06 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Good tactics , and a good article altogether!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:07 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

very nice, i enjoyed that a lot. good diagrams too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:28 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Nicely put together, very helpful diagrams and all in all good tactics and good article. Well done on a great addition to the Article Library :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:37 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Nice job Chris, It was a good read!

www.theangelosprojects.moonfruit.com
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:15 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

A very good article, and I love the style of maps/diagrams - very professional and easy to follow.

I was surprised that some long-standing tactics (often best exploited using cavalry) were not specifically mentioned. Refusing a flank is pretty standard, as is using differential deployments (you sort of mention these but not as a general principle). You have not mentioned the ability of cavalry to mount (no pun intended) ambushes.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:06 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
I was surprised that some long-standing tactics (often best exploited using cavalry) were not specifically mentioned. Refusing a flank is pretty standard, as is using differential deployments (you sort of mention these but not as a general principle)

Many of these things will probably be covered in a forthcoming article, probably in June.

Quote:
You have not mentioned the ability of cavalry to mount (no pun intended) ambushes.

How would one go about doing this in a game where we watch each other move our models? If you put something behind a wall, your opponent can see you put it there and thus completely removes the element of surprise.
Quote:
good diagrams too

The credit goes to the lorekeepers- I made originals and they made them match the rest of the website.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:31 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Great article! Very well written! It makes me want to try some of these tactics :D
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:48 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I don't really understand the tactical diagrams. They seem to imply that the enemy doesn't move and simply waits for the attack.

In the first diagram (frontal assault) you are subjecting your cavaly to maximum damage from the enemy infantry. This attack is perfect for him, he can bring every available spear in to aid his front rank and lets hope the 3rd rank isn't pike, otherwise you just lost your cavalry.
In the example it appears the infantry hasn't moved yet, and so if I were your opponent I would certainly encircle and trap the two cavlary on each end including your hero (which I presume is the yellow one), and I estimate that at least 4 of your cavalry will be facing 4 attacks from 2 on the front row with spear support - and if they are pike - then 6 attacks.
The hero needs to be in the middle to make maximum use of his heroic move - on the end like this you've reduced his effectiveness considerably.

In the second example, attacking the archers, it would take at least 4 moves to go around the copse and the hill. In the meantime, if the archers were mine, I would move them into the trees. By the time you reached the archers you'd have to dismount and lose your charge bonuses and probably loose all your cavalry. Even if the archers didn't move you'd still get at least two volleys as you approach in the final moves - so you might as well go for it 'the dangerous way' and get on with it.

The last example is the same. There's simply no way of achieving this move on a 4' table. There's just no way I'd let you circle my infantry in such a fashion. You'd have to stay at least 13" away from my infantry in case I move towards you, and then get priority and charge you. And if I have an orc drum (which I do) you'd better stay 16" away!
There's just no way you will get around me - my infantry will block your move, and my archers will shoot every turn you waste trying circle me like red indians. It's also worth pointing out, that the enemy could simply open up some 1" gaps in his infantry force allowing his archers a good view - but in any case, noone would deploy their infantry or their archers in square blocks as illustrated - it's an unrealistic deployment example - 2 ranks is the norm unless you're foolish enough to trap your own warriors in such a formation.

I understand that the basic premis is to use the terrain to protect your cavalry and this is sensible, but attempting to outflank an opponent on a 4' table just isn't going to happen. The best you can hope for is to get in close as quickly as possible and engage as soon as possible - use heroic moves to disengage and charge again, and this is where you will need as much might as you can afford.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Very good article, only concern is that you put Gil-galad with the killer mounted heroes when he dosen't have the option for a horse. Perhaps you meant to put Glorfindel there as he wasn't on the list.