All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:56 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

:) Yay!
I don't think I'll be making a display base, but... Tobold has taught me how to paint white stone! Oh yes! Thankyou
*Goes off to paint roughly three tonnes of ruined buildings I never knew how to paint...*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:44 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

An A+++++ peice of work, excelent!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:01 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Great article simple enough for the begeners and a great side project for the pros awsome man

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:30 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Awesome! The perfect solution for displaying miniatures with out the need to glue them down in a ‘fixed’ permanent position, 10/10/
Well done mate! :D
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:03 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Tobold, could you tell me how you do the back of the base, where there is no barrier? Do you leave it rough, or do you have some amazing technique to get it perfect? :P :)

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:53 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

It looks really good i was going to give it a go i was going to gw to buy those anyways

Stefan :)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:59 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Lol, Griffo, I was bothered by that myself. :)

The other day, I glued two trays together - that's one way to solve the problem, but you increase the size of the base, of course.

For the others, I slope the ground down to meet the base, so all of my bases have a little slope at the back to allow the ground to "gently" meet the edge. Unfortunately, I have no photo of that, but I will take some and post them here in the next 24 hours. It's not a magic solution, but I think it looks neat enough to be acceptable. It certainly works for displaying them on a shelf, when the missing edge is at the back, but for a display that will get a 360 degree examination (like for a competition), it probably isn't neat enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:08 am 
Dark Lord of Moria
Dark Lord of Moria

I haven't tried this, so I dont know how good it would work, but I would suggest putting a line of Green Stuff across the back of the tray you intend to use, then, using another tray, coat one edge with some oil and then turn it upside down and press it against the Green Stuff on the other tray. This should in theory give you an identical sloped edge ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:10 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

@Griffo: As promised, here is a photo of the rear edge of one of the bases. All of them look like this at present, but I am experimenting with glueing two together, as I mentioned (but then there is the issue of filling the gap between them smoothly).

I would try Rutta's suggestion, if you're handy with Green Stuff, as it sounds like a clever solution to me.

Has anyone seen the new "textured bases" in stores? They were in White Dwarf, and have sculpted terrain on the edges, I'm not sure they'll make as good display bases as gaming bases, but they could look good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:25 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks so much, Tobold. It really is a help. It looks great anyway.

Rutta, I will try out your suggestion, it sounds like it would work. Thanks. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:04 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I am a bit late with the thank yous but this article was an exceptional article and kept me occupied on Christmas eve when I decided to make a mordor base. Unfortunatley I sent my parents to get the bases and they got the textured ones (the more expensive ones) and so my terrain goes around the sides but the result has gotten me into terrain making in a big way (I have a toolbox full of bits. Money may not grow on trees but you would be surprised how muck terrain stuff does) and I plan on doing more themed bases such as an Ithilien one and a small Orthanc one for Worm and Saruman. So, thank you. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:06 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thank you, Morgoths-crown. :)

I'm glad you enjoyed trying out the basing, and I hope you get a lot of enjoyment from it. Indeed, that is the main thing. Things are not cheap in this hobby, so the last thing you need is to end up being unhappy with your results. Too many of us are too hard on ourselves, when we should really be enjoying the results of our efforts. I often say, and mean it completely, that there is something in almost every mini I see that brings me pleasure.

When I look through the galleries I find that every posting brings something. The thing is, there is something in every miniature that someone has taken the time to paint. I'm not one for formal art appreciation, but the energy and love that goes into a person's miniature is to be admired and enjoyed. This is the heart of the hobby for me, that we somehow find the energy and inspiration to sit down and paint these insanely tiny models, and anyone who does so creates something special and unique.

Happy painting! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:07 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

>>When I look through the galleries I find that every posting brings something. ...This is the heart of the hobby for me... <<

Tobold,
I saved this paragraph of your post to my computer.
It expresses exactly what I feel about this hobby.

beate
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:42 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Beatrice, I am so honoured you would do that. I thought one of the guys might tease me about that post. I did not expect someone to identify with it and feel the same way. I'm not quite capable of expressing how I feel about this, but know that I was really pleased to read your post. I had just got to work, and it has completely made my day. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 3:29 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi. I know that all the posts here are from about 4 months ago, but I really liked the article. Every now and then I see something, and I think 'I have got to make that'. These bases are one of those things.
I wanted to start making them straight away, but I need the Warhammer Movement trays and the putty, and I was wanting to know how you thought was the cheapest way to get them. I will probably get some Milliput from Ebob, unless you can recommend a cheaper way, and I guess the only way to get the bases is from GW. But, on the online store (where I would probably buy them) I can only find the ones with the textured edges.
Is it still possible to get the normal ones?
Anyway, can you please tell me if I will be doing it the cheapest way? Thanks
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:45 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks, Shark_of_Mirkwood. :)

It does seem that the old trays have been replaced by the new textured ones, which is a bit of a shame. It would have been nice if they could have existed side by side. The textured ones have bits on them that are not suited to LOTR (such as a portion of a metal drum, or an elaborate sword blade). I haven't used one of these new textured trays yet (although I have bought some). When I do, I expect I'll have to either cover up the offending bits, or slice/sand them to resemble rocks, or remove them completely. The good thing about the textured bases is that they have the ridge all the way around the tray.

As far as the cheapest way to go is concerned, I purchased general purpose epoxy putty from a regular hardware/DIY store. Modelling putty is more expensive. A LOT more where I live, probably the same where you live. This putty is heavier than green stuff, but that's alright for me. I don't use so much that it's an issue, and they stay on the shelves anyway. I'd recommend you visit your local hardware/DIY store and check out their putty. Don't tell them you're looking for putty for a model, because they might well say they don't stock that. If you're just looking for epoxy putty, they should manage to find you some. :)

I look forward to seeing your bases!

Post subject: Energy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:11 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Wow! Thanks for your encouragement for my first article. I've been looking at your articles and gallery and have been really impressed.

I hope you get a load more energy and enthusiasm soon, because the quality articles that you produce are what makes this site worthwhile for me. There's so much to learn as well as share.

This sounds a bit sacharine, I know - but it's not meant to.

Regards,
Natarn Ulka.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:02 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks Natarn! :)

I have just had a lot on my plate lately. It sounds so empty, saying that, as thesedays everyone has too much to do. I should be able to find the time as much as anybody else.

Thank you for the encouragement. Your comments sound just fine, not too sacharine for me. I honestly appreciate them. :)

Post subject: Saccharine
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:09 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

:D
That's cool.

Just realised I spelt saccharine incorrectly!