Post subject: [Article]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:15 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Category: Other
Type: Miscellaneous

Article Name: Interview With Some Well Known Faces
Author: suladanthegreat
Description: In This Article I Will Interview The Famous Or Well Known Members Of The O-R Community

>>Read Full Article
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:50 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

What a great idea for an article. 8)

It's nice to get some insight into some of the 'characters' on One Ring.
It's interesting to note that everyone says 'take your time', 'thin your paints',
'research what you are doing' and most of all 'have fun'. If every member does these then they will get better and constantly improve their techniques.

Not everyone will be a great painter, or sculpter, or terrain maker but that doesn't matter. The important thing is you are having fun, mixing with like minded individuals and doing something useful with your time. Can you say the same of watching TV ?

I hope we get more of these 'Community inspired ' articles. Well done to Sully for making this happen here on One Ring!

I will donate you a gold coin to inspire you for the next one ! :D

Azog

Forum Guidelines
http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25260
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:04 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yeah, Great article glenn. Glad to see another of yours mate!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:45 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

A different type of article, but fascinating all the same.

But we didn't see any faces...

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:42 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

good arcticle glenn, and rob your Glorf is looking great, Maccy your high elf is brilliant, PT 1 word... how that goes for you aswell Tidoco

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:11 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Nice article!
Great to read some more info about some of us! Well done mate!

;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:10 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for this. Very unique and different.

Even though it's an interview, I got plenty of hobby tips I plan on using once i have time to actually... Paint :)

Bolter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:43 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

great idea and great article!
but what about durinsbane =)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:47 pm 
Thanks for all the kind comments :D

noraab_lotr wrote:
great idea and great article!
but what about durinsbane =)

i pm'd brian about this article but he didnt want to participate which is fair enough :wink:

if you liked this article then i could do another community article if you want?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:48 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Definitly! Go for it! I'd love to see another one. Hey, we've got many many members to pick from :)

Bolter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:10 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Great article including most of my favorite painters and great onering legends. Enjoyed it very much :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:25 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Keyser Soze, you'll always be a legend to me, mate. :)

You should have been here too. I'm just thrilled you're back, and look forward to some of your fantastic creations. Now, if I could just get Temet to paint again too.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:15 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks mate, thats very kind of you. I really missed the site and the hobby for the past months. Hope temet will be back too soon, he`s one of the most gifted painters in the whole community. The list of "well-known faces" seems endless... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:30 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Tobold Hornblower wrote:
KingofRohan888 wrote:
maybe an article on interviewing those people that don't get the fancy good painted models and dioramas and just like making a few jokesa and have a good time.

Um, we don't "get" the fancy good painted models. We get the stark, unpainted metal or plastic ones, same as you. It's time and effort that make them "fancy good". And I think we like making a few jokes and having a good time too. We're not aliens, you know. ;)

Also, I think many of the people on that list of yours paint very well. This article is not elitist, but it seems to have hit a nerve with you. I recall another post of yours, aimed at Beatrice, along similar lines. I don't think the author intended to upset anyone, or imply that anyone here is better than anyone else. Your reaction is the reason some people are reluctant to be included in articles like this, which is a shame.

You prove once again to be a linguistic master Toblod. My thoughts exactly, although rather better put than I would do.

I have done one or two articles like this now, and have had good comments, but also negative ones. The sort of "why were they included" "why can't I be involved" sort of things.

I have put alot of time and effort into this hobby, to get where I am, and to be included in articles like this, and also to have nice comments made about my images make it worthwhile. Like Tobold said, we dont get the models, it takes time and effort to get the results. We don't do it to get praise or anything like that, we do it for the love of our hobby!

It's the one thing that unifies us as a community, the common interest of the love of the hobby, whichever facet you enjoy.

If you were to truely capture the community you would have to interview everyone! But in the end it is up to the person who does the interview as to who they include. If you want to include people KoR and think you can do a better job, then do it by all means!

Anyway, thank you for including me in this sully, and good work on a well put together article.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:36 pm 
Tobold Hornblower wrote:
I don't think the author intended to upset anyone, or imply that anyone here is better than anyone else.

that was not my intention in this article, this article is aimed at beginners and experts alike. i picked some of the many members who inspire me and others in the hobby. if you werent included that doesnt mean your a crappy painter :wink:

im glad you lot have enjoyed it, it was an honour to interview the members who participated and i hope this isnt the last article i will write :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:33 pm 
I enjoyed taking part in this article and it is indeed different but at the same time informative. I paint my minis like most other people just for the pleasure of doing it, I have always had the mind that after splashing out my hard earned money on some product that let us be fair are not the cheapest things in the world I want o make them look as good as I possibly can and there is always room for improvement. I would like to see more of this kind of article, well done Glenn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:17 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

This is getting way out of topic... this topic is to discuss Suladanthegreat article and nothing else.

Lets focus the discussion there please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:07 pm 
Dark Lord of Moria
Dark Lord of Moria

I have Cleaned' this thread up as best as I can.

Please stay on Topic !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:51 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Well! - since my comments congratulating Suladanthegreat for his absolutely great article seem to have mysteriously disappeared in the "Cleanup" along with quite a few others - I would like to say:-

Please Suladanthegreat - accept my thanks for a great article that shows what a well-knit "community" can achieve by sharing experiences and hints amongst all sorts of people that "enjoy" this hobby for what it is without feeling the need to be embarrased about their own efforts

It is ONLY through articles like yours and the continued efforts of all who Contribute to this great community that others may find inspiration to try and achieve something for themselves and perhaps gain satisfaction for their efforts

I would also like to thank DurinsBane for his efforts in "cleaning up" this thread and hope that his zeal is continued in cleaning out useless "negative" comments by some of our less mature members in the future for the betterment of the Community

Once again - absolutely fantastic article that should hopefully inspire others to contribute to our great hobby
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:18 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Nice article.
Incidently I have known a few model builders who never read any articles and, as a consequence, never learnt much more than the basics. It is always nice to read articles like this that offer practical knowledge as well as encouragement as it is a help. I am a 28mm painter and a 1:35th scale painter (much better at 28mm) and have been for many years but the 28mm painters are far more laid back and forthcoming with experience imo as they do one thing differently, they enjoy themselves. And as the article poited out, that is the key. If you worry about a duff result, you will get a duff model as you will be tense. It is interesting that my views on modelling are shared with those on the list. Sure my brushes are not top notch and imo are scabby but they do the job. Someone else might be super fastidious with theirs. If the outcome is the same, it doesn't matter. It is how much fun you can have in the process which the article was full off: painters who are passionate about achieving nice models.

Not everyone has the ability to be a great painter and the road to great models isn't easy but articles like this help. In short, they are the liquid knowledge that we the sponges should soak up and I am greatful to those who took part in being generous enough to share their experiences.

Cannot wait for a third (if you include Olofers one on TLA) :)