All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:05 am

Post subject: Winsor and Newton brushes
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:50 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

hey all, I am getting fed up with my Games Workshop brushes, I have the Fine Detail brush and the Standard Brush, even though I use the Master brush soap, they still don't really keep a point.

So I have finally decided to invest my money in some Good Winsor and Newton series 7 brushes.

Question, I really liked the size of the GW Standard Brush, and I was just wondering if the size 1 from W&N is the same, if not what is?

Also, I am probably going to get them from this site, because they have a pretty good price:
http://www.cheapjoes.com/art-supplies/4 ... linsky.asp

How reliable is this site? Is buying these kind of brushes off of the internet a good idea? I have heard that once in a blue moon they will send a crappy brush.

Just to tell you guys my nearest art store doesn't carry these brushes so I am forced to get them off of the internet.

Any other recommendations would be appreciated, thanks.

feanorthenoldor
 Post subject: Re: Winsor and Newton brushes
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:09 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Feanor - To start with Windsor and Newton brushes are simply superb and worth the money. I use nothing but them and they keep their point for many, many hours of painting - if of course you take care of them.
I use the No.2 brush for the majority of my painting. Unfortunately the writing has rubbed of my other brushes (I have four of this brand) but I believe they go down to 0000 which is perfect for small detail like eyes.
I cannot compare sizes as you ask but I would look at a size 2 and a 0000 - some find that is enough for them.
The quality truly is second to none and you will feel the difference of the bristles as you paint, such is the difference. It's like driving a Vauxhall then trying a Rolls Royce.
The brushes are getting increasingly difficult to obtain and the net is the most likely source, I got my last from Ebay via a 'buy now' trader LBM Stationery. As for the site you mention, I cannot comment but I would say like anywhere, there is always chance of the odd duffer, but you should not let that stop you.
Good luck

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:21 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Gandalf, I didn't know that there was a 0000-quadruple 0, I thought the smallest was only a triple 0.

Anyway, what do you use your size 2 brush for? Basecoating? etc...

I think I am going to get the size 1, just to keep it safe.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:39 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I use the cheaper yet great quality brushes from Winsor & Newton, their Cotman series, which has synthetic hair. Still, the difference between them and GW is huge. The brushes have kept their point for about one year with weekly painting and show no signs of losing it.

The sizes I use regularly are 2, 1 and 0. I have practically given up using all the tiny sizes because I feel that they do not hold enough paint inside them to really act like a brush should. Anyway they are so sharp that I don't see any difference between the point of a Cotman 0 and lesser brand 0000. 2 seems to be about GW basecoat, 1 standard and 0 detail, if I still remember correctly how the GW brushes felt. A major difference is that with a sharp size 2 brush you can paint quite small details - it's not just a basecoat brush.

-- Pasi
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:21 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Feanorthenoldor wrote:
Anyway, what do you use your size 2 brush for? Basecoating? etc...

I ue it for the majority of my painting. I have an older Newton and Windsor brush I keep for basecoating. The No.2 will cover most of your painting needs, you will only struggle with fine detail.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:38 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

hey all, I decided to switch to buying some Raphael brushes, its safer for shipping, because I heard that if you buy W&N off of the internet there is a chance that you will get a bad one.

anyway, when I was thinking of getting W&N brushes I was going to get a 000, a 00, and a 1.

what are the equivalents or closest brushes for Raphael for these sizes??

was this a good decision for me, to buy Raphael instead of W&N?

thanks
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:07 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

oh, just remembered a question,

The two main Raphael types of brushes: the 8404, and the 8408.

which one is better for miniatures, or which one is better overall.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:41 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

well, I know this will seem weird, but I went with Winsor and Newton and I bought the 000, the 00, and the 1.

Should come in a couple of days!!!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:24 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

hey all,

I'm going to buy the Winsor and Newton brush cleaner and restorer, which are about $15, my question is...How often should I use this stuff??