All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:51 am

Post subject: Citadel or vallejo ?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:49 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Im sure a simmilar post has already been on this forum but i though id start a fresh one
Anway ill cut to the chase. Elros of numenor is trying to convince me to stop using GW paints and start using vallejo paints.

No denying that the paints could be just as good or better, but I want to have a second opinion(well hopfully quite a few)

Why could they be better?

what do you prefer?

Is it worth making the switch?

Thanks

Last edited by IM A ENT!!! on Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: Citadel or vallejo ?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:48 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

They are better - the pots are nicer, and the paint doesn't dry out nearly as fast. I prefer Vallejo to the current GW range, but I prefer Coat D'Arms to both of them. Coat D'Arms are the guys who made the original GW paints, and they do have a range of substitutes for the current GW range. They also make Privateer Press' P3 paints. I find them nicer to work with. Pigment and coverage is great, but above all, the paint doesn't dry out like the newer GW paints do. I've got 20-year-old pots of the original GW paint (of lesser-used colours) that still work just fine. Meanwhile my GW paints dry out after just a couple of years.

I'd suggest changing over, but don't bin your existing paint. (I have a friend who did just that when he changed over.. /facepalm) But when you buy new colours or replacements for finished/dried out pots, just make them Vallejo or CDA.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/
My miniatures painting blog.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:35 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

My experience is that they excel in different paints. I prefer GW for greens, metals, foundation paints and washes and Vallejo for other colours. I've heard good things about CDA, but since no store around here stocks them I haven't tried them yet.

-- Pasi
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:58 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

IM A ENT!!! wrote:
I have a mate who is trying to convince me to stop using GW paints and start using vallejo paints.

Actually no, I'm trying to convince you to stop getting replacement of GW colours you already have and get vallejo instead, because they're cheaper, and obviously they dont' dry up quickly like the citadel colours. Like scipio said, don't ditch the paint thats still going, just slowly phase out the GW ones (except the metallics) :)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:06 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I got my CDA paints from Malestrom. Free delivery and a discount off RRP works for me (and I'm in Australia).
http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.p ... da&sou=cat

I find their metallics are pretty great as well - I strongly prefer them to both the GW and the Vallejo. The GW metallics were a bit didgy back in the day, but CDA have really picked up on them. I tried the CDA (and P3) metallics after seeing people rave about the P3 metallics (P3 = Privateer Press Paints = Warmachine people).

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/
My miniatures painting blog.