All times are UTC

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 12:12 am

Post subject: How to paint?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:14 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello all,

I've just recently begun getting my feet wet in the world of LOTR SBG, with my purchase of the goblin town starter set for The Hobbit. Now, i would love to paint my minis. I've already begun, and painted 3-4 minis i think (i got some starter set from games workshop with some good starting colors and a brush), and that is all well and good, but i would love some guides on how to improve. How to add shading and stuff. Washes i think they are called?

I don't by any means need to be a pro, so i don't need guides telling me every single detail on how to paint the most professional looking minis, but a guide that gives me a good starting point, isn't complicated or hard to follow, and that allows me to paint decent looking minis without spending 1000 hours.

Hope it made sense :) thank you all for helping me get into this lovely hobby!
 Post subject: Re: How to paint?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:20 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Personally I like the Citadel Painting guide GW recently came out with. It goes through all the basics in a way that would be hard to do in a post. I'm not an artist, but I find I get some pretty passable results using their techniques, which I've modified for my own taste.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:36 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

2 things I'd recomend to get better at painting:

1.) As you said, washes. Applying a wash adds quick and easy depth to a model.

2.) Drybrushing. Drybrushing is when you get a paint that is slightly lighter than the base colour on your brush, wipe some of it off on a tissue, and then lightly brush the area you wanted to drybrush. The result should be that the raised areas of the model are lighter than the base colour. This also adds depth to the model.

I hope this helps :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:46 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi Seerex,

I'm not a pro, far of it, but what I can tell you, is that there is a lot of experimenting with colours involved. There is no line to paint a figure. You have the basics (layering, highlighing, inking, washes, etc) and then it's up to you. I think you will find a good start in the "Tomes of Wisdom" and on the net. If you find a guideline to a particular figure on the net, then print it and safe it! I know I did and I'm greatfull for it. Because you can't find some of those guidelines anymore.
But like I said before every guideline is a start. The finisching touch is for you. It's you that holds the pencil, not your wife, girlfriend or kid(s) (ok sometimes they do and then you can start all over it :o )

If you don't find it in "tomes...", then maybe here http://www.kan.org/michael/mkp/washing.php

Anyway, I wish you good luck with the hobby.
Just watch out, its pretty addictive :-D