Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Are you seeking tips?

MiniWargaming
 Post subject: Re: isengard/Uruk hai painting
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:51 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

If you wander over to the 'tomes of wisdom' up at the navigation bar of the site, you'll find a nice guide to painting Uruk Hai there 8)

VG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I copied the scheme from White Dwarf years ago and I like it a lot. Scorched Brown with Blazing Orange (Probably now Rhinox and Troll Slayer) 50/50 mix as a base, add orange for next two layers, add Ushabti bone for last highlight layers. It is not the same as the red or Dark Flesh tones you see all over the place, but it pops. I like it anyway. these guys are in the scheme I just mentioned.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yes thats what Im looking for and thank you guys!Nice models!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:59 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I undercoat white, lay down a layer of bronze, Dark Flesh for skin, whatever they call the new dark brown/leather for cloth, chainmail for the mail, boltgun for the armor, then use black wash on the armor and brown on the flesh/cloth and voila. They look rather nice (Above "table-top" quality) and it's a pretty quick process, though I'd say if you have the time and paint to invest in much more popping or outstanding paint jobs I'd say go for it (Sithious's scheme, for instance. Mine look much more muted)

Haradrim - 300
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:11 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well Im not a good painter, Im very impatient, and I have shaky hands, so Ill have to take a combination of all these tips and make em my own. Thank you

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:16 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If you're painting Fighting Uruks, all I'll say is that black wash is your friend. I used it over Dark Flesh for the skin and Boltgun Metal for the armour.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:25 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Uruks are what I learned how to paint miniatures on and back then I used to just paint brown on the skin a mixture of silver and black on armor silver on mail and went over everything with a black wash. This is quick and easy and looks acceptable as long as you paint within the lines so to say.

When you want to make your mini look more presentable take a couple and play with dry brushing to accentuate the highlights
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:10 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Here is a painting guide I found years ago. It is intended as a Quick Painting Guide to get a lot done in a short amount of time. You won't win any painting competitions with it. I would give credit to who ever wrote it but I forgot as I've had it for years on my hard drive. Examples below of my Uruk's using this guide

Quote:
Start things off with a hearty drybrush of Scorched Brown over the entire model. Use a large drybrush and just go at it; don't worry about details at this point. Just get a good covering of paint. Next, finish off the bases. Or don't! It's your choice. Personally, I prefer to do the base early on as it simply gets it out of the way.

Okay, enough drybrushing; time to stipple instead. Paint all the metallic areas of the model with a heavy stippling of Bestial Brown. We're talking shields, swords, helmets, gauntlets, leggings, chestplates – everything that's metal! This coat of brown paint will act as a layer of rust/beaten metal. Next, apply a solid coat of Scorched Brown to any wooden handles or bows.

Time to finish up the metallic equipment. Go back over all the Bestial Brown areas you just painted but this time with Boltgun metal. Give the armour, swords, and the like a good stippling of Boltgun Metal. If you want a darker metal, mix in some Chaos Black with your Boltgun Metal. You'll see how the rusting effect comes to life during this step. Be sure to clean you water after using metallic paints, as tiny flecks will remain in the water and spoil future colours. Once the metal is out of the way, finish the wooden parts of your models by highlighting with Dark Flesh.

With a lot of the sloppy brushwork out of the way, it's time to concentrate on tidy brushstrokes. Heavily highlight all the flesh areas with Dark Flesh. As you can see, the earlier Scorched Brown drybrush has done a lot of the work for you. This fact becomes very apparent when you next go over all the leather on the model once more with Scorched Brown. Finish up by painting gloves, belts, straps, and any hair with Chaos Black.

Highlight the skin with a mix of Dark Flesh and Bleached Bone. Start with only a bit of Bleached Bone in your mix, then work your highlights up slowly. With the flesh taken care of, move on to the leather. Grab Scorched Brown and once again mix in some Bleached Bone. With this mix, highlight the edges and rises of the Uruk-hai garb. To complete your basic Uruk-hai, mix together a bit of Codex Grey with Chaos Black and highlight the edges of all the black leather and any strands of hair on un-helmeted Uruks.

At this point, you can add a few finishing touches to your models if you wish. Gore spatter can be accomplished by layering Blood Red and Chaos Black followed by Blood Red onto weapons, faces, and armour. Another easy detail that adds character is The White Hand of Isengard. You can accomplish this symbol easily by slathering vaguely hand-shaped Skull White icons on faces, shields, chests, or wherever. Finally, you can pick out teeth with Bleached Bone or a dingier colour – after all, Uruk-hai aren't known for their oral hygiene. So there you have it: six easy steps that get your Uruk-hai force looking good in but a few evenings of painting.

Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:31 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks a lot!