All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:12 pm

Post subject: What do these kind of paints really do?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:37 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'm painting with citadel paints and while I've gotten the hang of the basics and know how to put them to my use, there are a few kinds of which I do not have a clear picture of what they really do (as in, yes I know what the description says, but I have no clue about the real effect they have on a miniature).

These are:
Citadel Edge
Citadel Glaze

I don't have any of these yet and part of this is also considering whether they are worth getting.
 Post subject: Re: What do these kind of paints really do?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:03 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Edge is an absolute waste of money, completely. Glaze are only slightly useful. They just tint colors

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:47 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The edge paints are off-white colours. In the Citadel painting system they are used as the final step to give a very bright highlight.

The glazes are paints with a low opacity. They have two main uses; for subtle colour changes and painting the four primaries. For example you can use bloodletter to give a model a red nose or apply it over a fully shaded and highlighted red cloak to smooth the transitions and enrich the colour.

Whether they are worth buying is dependent on your approach to painting. If you like to paint out of the pot so to speak and like the gw style then you you may find a use for them.

If you are comfortable mixing paint then don't bother. It's easy enough to make you own edge highlight colours and glazes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:50 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I think the new GW glazes are quite good. The old style ink glazing is a bit more error-prone and the washes from the previous incarnation from Citadel were designed as washes, i.e. they tended to gather in the recesses even if you applied a very small amount. The current glazes spread more evenly and don't gather at all as a shade.

Because there are only four glaze colours in the GW range, it's well worth the effor to learn to glaze with inks or with any colour. An old trick is to add a tiny bit of liquid soap to the ink or paint to decrease its surface tension and gathering ability.

You don't really need the special paints like glazes, shades or bases, but they sometimes make painting easier and more efficient.

-- Pasi
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:55 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for the replies!

So, am I right the glazes are more like the old inks?
I used black ink for shading earlier on, but found I liked the effect of shades better for that part. I did really like the effect of brown ink of wood like things though.

I mix paints quite a lot, have been mixing paints long before I ever started with miniatures, so that's not a point. And I find it handy because I do not have the full color range GW is offering, just the colors I feel I'll be using most and I can always add when needed. and there are some colors I really don't see myself using anytime :oops:
When I'm painting batches however, I find it useful to use the full colors, and it makes it easier for me to pick up where I left later on.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:14 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The glazes serve a similar function to inks but with a few differences. They're not as pigmented so can be used undiluted, dry to a matte finish and are a bit thicker.