All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:59 am

Post subject: The Dettol method: A few remarks.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:36 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Spent most of this evening stripping my earliest purchases from The Fellowship year 2001-02. As you can imagine these models have been painted and painted again several times, losing detail etc. I've tried some other strippers before with mixed results so I gave dettol a go. 24 hour soak.

Firstly, it really breaks down the paint. It was coming off with a light rub of my finger, resulting in a sticky mess. It broke down 10 year old wood glue with no hassle. Also stripped away green stuff, which was a pity but nothing crucial. About 50 percent of super glued parts remained intact. Most importantly it didn't melt plastic like acetone does.

Now for the problems. The residue was like tar, and extremely difficult to get off my hands and any other surface it touched. This is where the method lost its advantage over acetone. I went through two toothbrushes on less than 15 minis, the bristles just got stuck together and were next to impossible to clean. This wasn't a problem with acetone, though more elbow grease was required there.

Overall I think I'll use this method again, but need some tips on how to make it go smoothly.

Post subject: Re: The Dettol method: A few remarks.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:11 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I've noticed the sticky residue with it and for that reason (along with the smell of it) I won't be using it again. I use a cleaning product called Simple Green and it's much nicer to deal with. Reusable, too. 8)

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:09 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I've used Dettol often and had less problems. Try leaving it for longer? Also, after the first scrub, move them to some new Dettol for a few minutes and give them a scrub in there. This can be repeated if its really tenuous. Finally, give them a soak/scrub in soapy water.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:53 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Did you just scrub them then put them aside? How did you actually use it other than soaking.

I have 2 small ice cream containers, before i start scrubbing i tip some into the second container and use that when too much paint has come off so the mix is dirty. Works better than putting more in or leaving it all together.
The brushes i just run along the side of the container or the top edge to scrape the tar (paint) off.
I also find swishing the mini's around in the mix does a good bit of work before transferring it.

Once done, put each mini in some warm water. If you get the paint off and give it a good swish then it should be pretty sweet going into/coming out of the water. Not if you use the mix once the paint has gotten all through it. So it depends how much paint you had on, how many minis and if you can get some off the brush at regular intervals.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:25 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Have you ever tried isopropyl alcohol?

It's easy to apply and use because it evaporate fast.

Stripping metal miniatures with it I would say it removes 99% of the paint even on the corners and recesess. Strip it like 3 or 4 times. Stripping plastic is a bit more difficult but still very effective.

I don't know If there's anything more wise in ease/effectiveness relation.

Visit my WIP!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:19 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yeah I pretty much just left them soak, then scrubbed them. I didnt anticipate the tar, but by then it was too late and too thick to scrape off the bristles. I've left a handful still soaking so I may try the two container method.

Will isopropyl alcohol melt plastic?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:56 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Gene Parmesan wrote:
Yeah I pretty much just left them soak, then scrubbed them. I didnt anticipate the tar, but by then it was too late and too thick to scrape off the bristles. I've left a handful still soaking so I may try the two container method.

Will isopropyl alcohol melt plastic?

No it really doesn't. I have used it many times and the plastic miniatures are just all right when you finished stripping.

Visit my WIP!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:43 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

With dettol, after the minis have been in for about a week I take them out one at a time and scrub them and keep dipping the toothbrush in clean dettol. Once the mini is scrubbed I them put it to one side and squirt washing up liquid on it. Then got to the next mini in the dettol.

After I have done all the minis in the detail and have a collection of minis in the sink covered in washing up liquid I get another toothbrush and scrub them again with washing up liquid.

When I have done them all with washing up liquid I then scrub them in water. This prevents the tar. Just make sure you don't get any water mixed with the dettol or on the minis until you have finished scrubbing them with washing up liquid.

Hope this makes sense

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:52 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Round two. Surgical gloves. fresh pot of dettol to rinse as I go. Left minis to soak a few days. Also used isopropyl alcohol wipes which I found in work to clean my brushes, hands and surfaces. Smell persists though. Pretty satisfied.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:51 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Try meths . Works on most paints and surfaces. Soak for twenty minutes and scrub .