All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:44 am

Post subject: Artificial Light When Painting
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:48 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Does artificial light make much of a difference when painting as opposed to natural light?

Do people use special light bulbs in their lamps when painting?

Thanks in advance.
 Post subject: Re: Artificial Light When Painting
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:44 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Normal lightbulbs will give more yellowish light, which will indeed affect the colours as you observe them.

Not having any fancy bulbs (or even a decent painting setup really), I rarely ever paint in artifical light. The only exceptions lately have been doing some basecolours, as those are straight from the bottle so I know what colour the end result will be. No mixing though, I'll reserve that for daytime.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:50 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I have just changed to an LED light bulb, the first i took back as it was to bright, went for a 4.5 watt. Its a very white light that is hard to put into words, it doesnt rebound off surfaces, only travels in one direction type light. I like it mind, it stays cool, i used to burn myself on the Halogen all the time and the energy use to next to nothing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:19 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I use an Ott Lite 18 Watt floor lamp as direct over the workbench illumination, I then have another, smaller, ott light that I have pointed at the wall to give some indirect illumination, it basically reduces the harsh shadows from the overhead light. The floor lamp has 2 settings that allow me to keep a consistent level of light depending on what time of day it is. I often paint in the evening after the kids are asleep, but sometimes I get to paint during the day and my desk is next to a window. I have learned to really hate shadows, i stopped priming in black because it would obscure the surface of the mini so much that I was having problems seeing details.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:28 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

As I do paint usually in late evenings or nights I need good and strong source of artificial light.
So, I use fluorescent photo light bulb 36W (equivalent to old 210W) with temperature 5500K and intensity 2100 lm in my desk lamp.
Something similar to this one:
What is important , thanks to it's high Kelvin temperature and lumens , it really does not change paint colors.
Very often you may find them as part of "Photo Studio Lambency Box sets" available in shops with photo equipment.

However, I must say, that nothing can beat this one in terms of "best" artificial light for hobby:
https://eu.daylightcompany.com/bulbs-tu ... ulb-2.html

This is the bulb which my wife (also a hobbyist) has within her floorstanding lamp and must say it really makes a difference to all lamps/lights set up I have ever used and could compare.
Highly recommended.

My WIPs
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:56 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm only getting back into the hobby so this information is very helpful as I only have time to paint in the evenings when it's dark.

The lamp I have for painting has that yellowish light so I will definitely look into the alternatives you guys have suggested.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:11 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'm old, and my eyes suck. I can't have enough light. If I could harness the sun over my table, I would.

I have 1 overhead, and 2 directional Ott like lamps on either side. It's a mix of florescent and incandescent lights. I use one of the Ott(really Ikea) about 6 inches above what I'm painting.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:26 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I got a desk OTT light for Christmas and love it. I find my colours are brighter now. It isn't as hot and my ear doesn't get crispy, either. I used to use a 100 watt desk lamp, which was yellower. I tended towards darker finished minis, which I don't care for. I would take them to the window on sunny days and check them before I finished.