All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:44 pm

Post subject: Re: How do I improve my painiting skills?
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:28 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I can tell your highlights have been done in one coat, so I suppose it's experience that tells me.

Getting bright colours can be done various ways, I tend to go for a white primer then a bright base colour, then do my shading. This leaves the bright colour untouched and just needing a few highlights.
Several coats of paint improve the contrast, and the word contrast is a big one.
Here's the trick, sometimes colours look brighter because the shading has been done well to make what is a bright colour look brighter.
If you notice my elf command, the blue cloak is not that bright, it's just well layered in colour with the right amount of shading, in the right place to make it pop.
The cloak alone must have taken 2 hours to get to this stage.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:54 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Okay,
Thank you.

Should I start my own WIP when I want to get some feedback for my work ir should I uploaded the pictures and questions in this thread?

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:03 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Start a new WIP, that way others can give a different view point and pick up on anything I miss.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:28 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

For several years I just painted basically and put little effort into my models - they were decent enough for tabletop standard but not for display really.

I found when i decided to really put the time in and want to improve my painting that the best thing was to have a clear plan for what to do. I found studying film stills and GW painted minis online or in their various publications the best inspiration for making sure colours were correct. However, the real driver behind improving my painting has been using paint guides others have written - it ensures i get good looking highlights in the correct shades without having to experiment myself as some kind soul has already done so. This was brilliant and the Tomes of Wisdom here and similar articles on other sites were absolutely the best thing for improving my painting.

Paints wise - I personally haven't found that i have needed to buy tons. I tend to have a couple of shades of the main primary colours and then buy more as I buy models that need them - I guess I currently have only about 40-50 paints in total that I have built up over 5 years or so.

Really though, practice makes improvements. The more you do and the more you look at guides the better your feel for colouring, shading and highlighting is - I found this when i got my mirkwood palace guard, couldnt find a good guide so got some pictures and drafted what i wanted to do carefully first then had a go.