All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:42 pm

Post subject: [Painting Last Alliance Elves] Need some feedback/help
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:15 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi there.

I've just painted my very first Last Alliance elf today and it was great fun! I absolutely love those models.

I'm planning on making some elven armies and this one is ment to be for my Rivendell army. I liked the blue/grey colour scheme a lot so decided to also go for that. Maybe not that creative, but for those models I don't care. They gotta look good!

I added 4 pictures of my first test of the model from today which I had primed Chaos Black. After painting the model I was a bit unhappy with it and went to the store to (finally) buy 3 good brushes (small drybrush, detail, layer brush) since I only had one 'basecoat brush'... Which happened to be pretty ruined. Anyways. Here are the pictures:

This is what I've done with his clothes:

Cloak: A basecoat of Kantor Blue followed by a wash of Drakenhof Nightshade. After that I added highlights with Ataitoc Blue.

Robe: 2/3 Kantor Blue + 1/3 Mech Grey mixed as a basecoat followed by Agrax Earthshade as a wash. A few highlights with Dawnstone.

Armor: a 50/50 mix of Warplock Bronze and Balthazar Gold followed by a wash of Seraphim Sepia. Then I added highlights with Gehenna's Gold.

My issues:
- Now that the model is done I don't like his armor so much. This armor would suit Haldir's elves better, but I think this is a bit too dark.
- I find it very hard to highlight robes/cloaks. I was wondering if (judging from what I've done on this model) anyone could explain a bit where to look for? I find it hard to see on which spots it would be needed to highlight.
- Eyes... What to do with them... I've grown so afraid of them that I just always make a white dot and leave it like that... I've created so many crosseyed minions that I had to redo because of it....
 Post subject: Re: [Painting Last Alliance Elves] Need some feedback/help
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:08 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

For the armour you could try a mix of gold and silver for a less dark colour highlighted with silver. I'm not familiar with the gw but any type of yellow gold should work. They might even have a appropriately pale gold in their range. I've also found that using green washes works well for the last alliance elves.

For cloth one relatively easy method is to set the edge of the creases to be the lightest part and the recess as the darkest. Then transition from one to the other This isn't strictly realistic but it works well.

For eyes I normally paint a dot on each for the placement and then fill out the pupil.

Post subject: Re: [Painting Last Alliance Elves] Need some feedback/help
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:51 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

if you want to stick to GW paints look at their age of sigmar gold with Retributor as a base and Liberator gold as a layer