All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 pm

Post subject: Blue Stuff review
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I got my hands on some blue stuff. What a fantastic tool! A new thermo plastic which can be used to make effective press molds. I attached some pics so you can see how it works.

1.) Take a cube of blue stuff, plunk it in hot water (boiling. The temp you would use to make tea).
2.) Leave it in the water for 3 minutes and then remove. Careful, don't burn yourself.
3.) Once the blue stuff is out it is fairly cool to the touch. Grab the bit of your choice and press it into your malleable blue stuff. Let it sit until it settles (about 3-5 minutes).
4.) Withdraw your bits.
5.) Press in the putty of your choice. I used green stuff.
6.) Let the green stuff set.
7.) Now that your green stuff has set, remove it from the mold.

It's that easy! The best part about the blue stuff is that it can be used again and again to make as many bits as you wish. Once you finish with the mold or decide you want another press mold, throw it back in the hot water and let it sit until soft, knead it, then press in your new bit. This is by far the greatest addition to my hobby arsenal to date. IMO Blue stuff is a crucial as a good sable brush!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 Post subject: Re: Blue Stuff review
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:59 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Nice work. I've got some of this stuff in my ebay cart with exactly the same intention as what you've just done... I'm also thinking of using it to copy casualty figures like what comes on the Gothmog pelennor set to add to other bases
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:33 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I have also been using blue stuff recently and have been using it with a two part resin rather than green stuff as I found making shields with rounded backs easier (by making a two part mold). I have also been working on duplicating heads and weapons for conversions. It's very useful and compared to other similar products I have used in the past I feel it picks up details better and is a lot easier use because of the slower cooling times.
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:58 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

What sort of resin? i was thinking of mixing milliput in with the greenstuff to make it a bit firmer
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:40 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Mouldlife EasyFlo 60 Fast Cast Liquid Plastic is what I use it cures quite quickly and it comes out with a nice detail.