All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:43 am

Post subject: painting dark ghosts / reverse highlighting??
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi, can anyone help please?

I'm trying to pain my barrow-wights in the style of the BFME 2 PC game, but not sure how to achieve it? I didn't know whether stark blue / purple highlights would translate well onto the models or if there is a 'reverse highlighting' technique that would work?

Didn't know if anyone has tried either of these methods or anyone could give any tips?

Post subject: Re: painting dark ghosts / reverse highlighting??
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:57 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It has been awhile since I have played the game, do you have a screeshot of what you are hoping to achieve?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:26 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

thanks for your reply - the picture isn't too clear as to my meaning unfortunately. What I was meaning is that if you imagine the 'body' of the miniature being black, would having a stark / contrasting highlight (ie purple / dark blue) provide a good look or would it not translate well?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:43 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sorry can't help, haven't tried purple paints enough to offer an opinion. My only suggestion, depending on type of material your wraiths are (metal, finecast), is to try it and if you don't like it, strip the model and try again.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

hi guys, sorry i not replied sooner but not been doing much painting recently, lol! I'[ve got a few ideas so once they're done i'll post some pics & you can let me know if it works ;)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:39 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I think you could do this. I’m not a great artist but here’s my advice based on something I learned recently. Do you have an airbrush? If so it should be relatively easy.

Basecoat it as normal, with black if desired. Then use the airbrush to apply a thin layer(s) of purple. Leave only the recesses black. It will still be quite dark at this point.

Then, use white to apply the highest highlights. Be warned, white has a tendency to speckle which will ruin the effect, so test it and make sure it’s thinned to the right level. You’ll have to rely on trial and error on a piece of paper for this. Then return to the purple and go over the white. The purple over black will remain dark, but over white will be much lighter. So the same shade of purple will look different over the two undercoats.

The main thing is to use thin coats and smooth transitions - you can always add another thin coat. The airbrush was made for this. The video below is where I learned this, and shows the technique.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKeEqGHLGOo
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:09 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

hey folks, sorry I not updated sooner but been busy catching up with finishing my galadhrim... On a related point, I called into GW store in Chester a week ago and would you believe I found the manager had painted some AOS hexwraiths using the exact method I was talking about??

He'd done an amazing job ; I was cursing I didn't have me camera with me (my phone's rubbish) it would have been great to show his work & hopefully replicate it! ;)