All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:57 pm

Post subject: Breaking in Narrative Scenarios?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:10 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

On page 125 of MESBG it says there are no Courage tests for being Broken in Narrative Scenarios. But there is nothing I can find written one way or the other for Narrative Scenarios in Battle Companies. Am I missing something?

My wife and I went with the SBG rule but I see folks on YouTube having enemies break, which really changes the difficulty of Narrative Scenarios.

Post subject: Re: Breaking in Narrative Scenarios?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:20 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Looking at the Battle Companies book, the only place I saw where anyone was broken was in the two companies vs wargs scenario, and that was the wargs having a chance of breaking when the warg chief is killed.

I would keep doing what you are doing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:53 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I also seem to recall the scenario against the Cave Drake specifically says no chance of breaking, it being all or nothing. But I do not have it in front of me right now.

This Courage Test ruling is also important in relation to voluntarily failing Courage after breaking when at 25% strength to preserve some element of your company in a disasterous Game.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:45 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I would imagine that the battle companies narrative scenarios are not intended to overlap with the rules stated for narrative play scenarios since they are two different ways to play the game. I don't think the no breaking rule should carry over from one to the other. Moreover, page 71 has companies breaking normally during the course of each regular scenario. Since their are rules in some of the narrative scenarios that have rules to create an exemption to breaking during them, I'd say it is save to reason that breaking is meant to be included in the other narrative scenarios without such exemptions.

Of course, it is really up to you whether or not you want to have a company and the enemy, or one and not the other, break during a narrative game. I think that battle companies is set to allow for players to customize it to their liking.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:00 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

My wife and I are quite happy to house rule things to suit our own tastes since we are only gaming with each other but we do like to know the official ruling before making a decision. So we appreciate input from more experienced players.

Fair point about exemptions expressly stated implying the Breaking and Courage should be in effect otherwise.

Looks like my wife and I will have to have another round of debate on it, thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:01 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

We decided to have Breaking and subsequent Courage tests in narrative scenarios unless specifically mentioned otherwise in the scenario description. It makes for very different feeling scenarios than our original decision.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:18 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I don’t think Battle Companies count as Narrative Scenarios for the purposes of not Breaking. I’m pretty sure that only refers to the standard Narrative Scenarios.