All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:59 pm

Post subject: Re: DeAgostini Full Lord of the Rings campaign
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:34 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for the encouragement!

Mapper wrote:
Glad to hear that you will continue this endeavor. Looking forward (whenever it happens) to the battle with 4 ringwraiths and three mumaks!

Truth be told the actual scenario will not feature all of those. :oops:
It is, as described in the magazines, a 2400 point match and even at that point range I couldn't fit them all in. But 2400 points is still about 4 times the size of my Helm's Deep playthrough so it should still be pretty epic. :-D

slinky wrote:
Amazing stuff - Some of these scenarios are definitely more interesting than their equivalents in the Journey Books.

Are the walls you are using for Helm's Deep the Renedra castle walls?

I am hoping to play through the Journey Books at some point too, it'd be interesting to compare. The Journey Books do cover some scenarios, especially in FotR, that aren't covered in the magazines, which I do think is a pity.

The Helm's Deep walls are from a local hobby shop, not Renedra, but I can see the similarities. They are usually used for train modelling, something to put alongside model train tracks. I simply put some XPS behind it to repurpose them as castle walls. The towers I used are from Thomarillion / Ziterdes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:34 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

It is finally time to nearly finish this campaign! After countless hours of hard work on the Minas Tirith terrain and the siege towers, everything has finally been constructed, the big battle has finally been played (over two different days), I got four pages worth of notes now all orderly transcribed to a sizable battle report.

I hope you'll enjoy it, personally it's probably my favourite self written battle report so far! :) (Be aware it's incredibly picture heavy!):
https://aiwendil.net/deagostini-the-lor ... as-tirith/

And here are some bonus Work in Progress pictures:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:54 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

That is one epic battle report/game board! To do it justice I need to read it on a bigger screen than my phone. Kudos to you for your dedication to this thread and to your girlfriend for the pictures!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:07 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Wow! Amazing terrain, great photos, a tense game, and an exciting wrap up. It's gonna be hard to top all that.

I really enjoyed it. Thanks for posting!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:32 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks Mapper and Dave, it has indeed taken some dedication, but it has been well worth it in my opinion!

I am glad this scenario took place at the end of the campaign, indeed it would be hard to top in terms of scale and stakes. As a child collecting these Battle Games in Middle-earth magazines it has always been my dream to play this big battle as part of this campaign, so I'm very happy to now have done so.

The final scenario I think will be unique and important enough to be on equal footing with the previous one. I have roughly designed (but not constructed) the Black Gate and started construction on Mount Doom. Already it's proving to be another piece of impressive terrain! The terrain making articles in these magazines are really so useful, a shame these haven't been revitalised for the new edition and therefore a possible new generation of hobbyists may have to miss out on them.

Again, thanks for your support, reading your reactions fuel my desire to continue on!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:08 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Wow, Mount Doom is really shaping up!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:05 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

At last, the campaign has been completed. It has taken me nearly 3 years, but it is done. I will post no spoilery pics or commentary here, they are on my website:

The final scenario can be found here:
https://aiwendil.net/deagostini-the-lor ... ll-things/

And a discussion on the Return of the King campaign as a whole can be found here (contains spoilers!):
https://aiwendil.net/the-return-of-the- ... iscussion/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:54 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I suppose I should avoid spoilers, too?

It's no spoiler to say that was a great looking game and some very atmospheric photography! You did a terrific job with the reflected lava effects inside Mount Doom. And your Mordor terrain was very nice, too. I'd love to see some closeups of your work, especially the menacing-looking towers at the ends of the wall.

I thought your criticisms of the scenario were on point and your possible solutions seemed like good suggestions to me. It would be nice if the situation at the Black Gate mattered more.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:50 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks Dave!

Here are some more close-ups of the Towers of the Teeth. They were a bit of a pain to make, as I was improvising a lot.

Since they are purely decorative, I tried to keep them as basic as possible while still letting them look menacing and sufficiently decent enough from a distance.

I used foamboard for the foundation, XPS for between the ridges that I cut up to simulate a brickwork pattern, cocktail picks for the 'teeth' and carton for the more difficult shapes. I then sprayed everything black using a foamsafe spray, I have a bit more details here, including some Work in Progress shots: https://aiwendil.net/hobby-update-the-end-is-nigh/

The long towers probably took about as much time to make as the entire rest of the Black Gate, which has much simpler forms.

I do think the scenario can be quite easily fixed, if the Ring destruction mechanic was just a little bit better I'm sure this would've been a great scenario to play! :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:04 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks for indulging me. I really like your design (and execution) on those towers.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:00 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

You're welcome, thanks for your kind words! :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:12 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I don't think it is a spoiler to say what at phenomenal job you have done! Not only on the terrain, but the reports and especially your dedication to this project. As you say, more on your blog.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:47 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Aiwendil.net is down. Any ideas?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Quote:
Aiwendil.net is down. Any ideas?

at the bottom of this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34729&start=0 he mentions that he will not be keeping the blog for various reasons. If you have a question about how he build something you might want to try contacting him by sending a pm here on the One-Ring.