All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:47 am

Post subject: Last Alliance scenario
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:23 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello One Ring,

Our gaming group has been going through some unfortunate LotR withdrawl and I would like to kick some games back off with a fun scenario. One of the gang suggested starting at the beginning with a recreation of the Last Alliance battle that opens the films.

I got into SBG around Return of the King and missed out on a lot of the hobby material that came before it. Did GW publish any scenarios that might fit?

Does anyone have any ideas for a scenario that would involve Sauron? I hear his rules are pretty brutal. Will we even be able to have a fun/balanced game of any kind if he's involved?

You guys know what you're doing. Any input is appreciated.

Last edited by midloo on Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:43 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

There is a Slopes of Mount Doom scenario in the Mordor sourcebook. I haven't played it, but other GW scenarios seem to work out well, no reason I can see this one wouldn't. A few scenario-specific rules would appear to help balance things out.

Still, at some point you have to face the long grind of wearing Sauron down. Even if he has 1 wound, he still gets to roll a d6 and saves on a 2+. I can't imagine that would be terribly exciting after a while.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:56 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the input! I have that book laying around at home and haven't looked through the scenarios - will have to do that tonight.

Ugh.... I was worried that his rules would make for an unpleasant game. Well we've got a guy that just built one and is enamoured of his model. Guess it will be one of those games where you take it on the chin with humility and hope the guy realizes his shiny new, OTT model should stay on the shelf :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:07 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The catch with Sauron is that he takes up an awful lot of points. In a 500 point game, you're not going to be able to field much of anything but the Dark Lord (I forget his actual point value) while the Good side is going to be able to fill that same number of points up with the bulk of his army.
It may seem that Sauron will rule the tabletop, but he can't actually fight an entire army by himself. Even the great odds of his One Ring save will fail him eventually. :shock: He's really not worth fielding in anything less than a 1000 point game, imo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:23 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

There was a scenario called Sauron Unleashed in an old White Dwarf. I have played it a few years ago, and it was really boring after Sauron was the only evil model left on table. It was clear that he was going to be killed but due to the 2+ save roll, the end game just went on and on forever.

-- Pasi
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:39 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Ha, I remember that scenario. I played it with Ebob and if I recall correctly he rolled a 1 on his very first attempt with the ring, which I found extremely amusing. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:04 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey guys - thanks for all the input :)

Just wanted to follow up and share a link to the battle we finally had over the weekend. The terrain looked great and I wish I had gotten more pictures of it. They'll be coming as I see that board getting a lot of use - it was well-liked.

We played outside, so the shots we did take are bright and a bit washed out. Some folks still need to post some wider-angle shots so you can see more of the board as well.

There's a nice long battle report I just finished as well.

Thanks for checking it out here