All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:59 am

Post subject: small skirmish scenario
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:14 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The guy who taught me how to play LoTR SBG and I played this scenario as a training run and it turned out to be really fun. I was the Forces of Good and suffered a grave defeat. It may be apparent that this is quite unbalanced. I'd like to hear about somebody else trying it out as seeing if they get a similar result.

Forces of Good:
Boromir of the White Tower (Mounted, Standard of Minas Tirith)
2 Knights of Minas or Tirith (Lances)
6 WMT (3 w/ Sheilds, 3 w/ Spears)

Forces of Evil:
Mordor Troll Cheiftan
18 Mordor Urak-Hai (cross bows)

**I don't know the exact points. Someone may be able to offer an evil list that matches the points value of the good side.

Deployment:
Table is 48" x 24". Roll 2D6 to determine number of terrain pcs. Each side alternates placing terrain pieces beginning with the good side, making sure that no terrain is placed within 6" of either 24" long table edge.

Boromir and 2 KMT deploy within 3" of one 24" edge. 6 WMT (referred to as "the Wounded") deploy 3" from the center of the board. The Troll Chieftain and ten orcs deploy within 6" of the opposing edge.

Objective:
Denethor has issued a battalion of troops from Osgiliath to test the strength of the Morannon Gate. To his dismay, a solitary rider returned to the ruined city, bloodied and broken beyond recognition. Through his gasping and gurgling, the guards of the tower were able to determine that there was a band of warriors fleeing through the woods of Ithilien, pursued by a the Mighty Troll Guzbuzz.

It is decided that a small sortie is all that can be spared to salvage what is left of the Wounded. Much to the further dismay of his father, Boromir, gallantly demands that he be the leader of this ill-fated rescue.

He must, with the help of the knights, delay the coming onslaught long enough for the Wounded to escape to the table edge that Boromir started closest to.
Major Victory for Good: >3 of the Wounded escape the table edge.
Minor Victory for Good: 2 or 3 of the Wounded escape the table edge.
Major Victory for Evil: None of the Wounded escape and Boromir is slain.
Minor Victory for Evil: Only 1 of the Wounded escape and/or Boromir is slain.

Scenario specific rules:
The Wounded, suffering from their defeat at the hands of the forces at the Black Gate, are limited to moving only 3"/turn.
The Forces of evil are not inhibited by a bow limit; all can be carrying ranged weapons.
The remaining 8 orcs are deployed in turns 2 and 3. At the start of the second turn, the evil player rolls 1D6 with the following possible results:

1 - 4 orcs are deployed 3" from the 48" table edge (either side) at any point that the Good player chooses.

2 - 5 4 orcs are deployed 3" from the 48" table edge (either side) within 6" of the center of the board.

6 - 4 orcs are deployed 3" from the 48" table edge (either side) at any point that the Evil player chooses.

Repeat this deployment procedure at the beginning of turn 3.

Let me know if you can have any better success than I had. :D

Feel free to let me know what the actual quantities of warriors would be to make sure that both sides are equal.

(I don't care what the points are. When my friend and I played this scenario, we weren't really uptight about how many points were on each side. He still won a major victory. )

Edit: Changed "Good" to "Evil" in lower 2 victory conditions.

Last edited by Mor-galad of Greenwood on Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:40 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

many crossbows
all good models death before they reach enemy ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:36 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

This actually looks very fun to try out. I like the backstory you created. However, it is so unbalanced I can't imagine the Good side ever winning. Boromir is powerful, but when the Good side is so heavily restricted, and the Evil side is so completely unrestricted, its becomes a game of not if the Good side will lose, but when the Good side will lose. And...because you didn't ask :wink: ...the points in this match are 312 pts of Good versus 338 pts of Evil according to your army lists. Probably a lot more even than you (or I) assumed.

(Also, under the objectives, all four victory conditions are "for Good.")
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:49 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Jamros wrote:
...the points in this match are 312 pts of Good versus 338 pts of Evil according to your army lists. Probably a lot more even than you (or I) assumed.

You are right. I thought it was much more lopsided points wise.

Good might add a couple more calvary models in that case.

But the idea is that the Wounded might try hiding the terrain between themselves and the crossbows. The reason for crossbows is so that to use their missile weapons, like the Troll Chieftain's Throw stone ability, Evil forfeits their ability to get any closer to their prey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:28 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wow, no archer limitation for the evil, if that's it, then you could just get a big bunch of elven archers and Gil-galad and you'll be on even terms. :-D
Also, Mordor uruks can't have crossbows, only Isengard ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:00 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

yesso you have team up mordor and isengard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:28 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

spuds4ever wrote:
Wow, no archer limitation for the evil, if that's it, then you could just get a big bunch of elven archers and Gil-galad and you'll be on even terms. :-D
Also, Mordor uruks can't have crossbows, only Isengard ones.

I realize that Mordor orcs can't carry crossbows but as I explained before, the rules for them are similar to "throw stone" so that Evil must make a choice between closing the gap or attempting to shoot....

Bend the rules but don't break?