All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:53 pm

Post subject: Roast Mutton
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:20 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Has anyone played this this Scenario from the rule book and won with the Trolls?

At the SAD Gamers in Swindon we have played it in our group around 6 times with the Dwarfs winning every time except once with a draw when on Round 7 the sun came up.

It's a great scenario, tricky to try to remember all the Dwarfs special rules but one which I think the Trolls could never win

Post subject: Re: Roast Mutton
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:48 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I've never seen the trolls win, even with their brutal power attacks the dwarves are just too numerous.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:41 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If it was a points match maybe itd be different. Guarantee it would be a lot easier against generic captains and troops instead of Thorins Company.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:48 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Smaller board and make the dwarfs turn up more spread out.... and the trolls kill some dwarf before dying and losing
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:43 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Sorry for the Thread-necromancy, but I have just finished painting my Trolls so have finally got round to playing this scenario...

Questions:

The dwarfs come on from the 'marked area' - what marked area?
The board map only shows the central campfire zone, and the exterior board dimensions. No marked area that I can see.

The trolls... is it me or have GW got the pictures of Bert and Tom mixed up? To me the pictured "Tom" on p158 was the one with the cold from the movie and I am guessing was the weaker one so should have had the lower stats. Yet he was the one who said squash them to jelly, so I am confused? I think they (GW) have stuffed up stats, name, special rules between these two trolls...???

Throw Stones... special rules description on p83 says range 8" and Str 1, except for trolls (etc) where it will be specified in their profile... but its not... so whats the range and str of a rock thrown by the 3 trolls?

We played through the scenario once today and would concur its seems very difficult for the trolls to get a win....

However they're great models, and a pleasure to paint up :-)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

They did mix em up the FAQd it somewhere.

The Strength from the stone I believe is 8 but maybe 9. But put your money on 8

And yes, those models are awesome.

Btw its funny you said thread necromancy with the avatar you have......its unstoppable haha

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:07 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Yeah the pictures and names for Tom and Bert are the wrong way round. It's not an editorial error, rather a consequence of the writers working from early scripts and not the finished film.

It has not been FAQ'd anywhere and I doubt it will be, there's nothing fundamentally problematic with them being mixed up, it just doesn't match the film.

If I were you I would just swap them before the game and tell your opponent - this is Tom, he's using Bert's rules and vice versa, it makes zero difference in game.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Is this scenario available to view online?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:05 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

No, it's in the Hardback Hobbit rulebook

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

What about the mini-Hobbit that comes with the Escape from Goblin Town set?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:43 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Nope, the scenario section isn't in there unfortunately.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:37 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I found the updated Faq here
http://www.blacklibrary.com/faqs-and-errata.html

I found there there the correction that Trolls throw 12" @ str 8.

Nothing mentioned about them mixing them up though, nor the scenario entry point for the dwarves...

As you say I am sure it will be fine to call them by different names if you OK it with your opponent...
It would be nice if they Errata-ed it properly though... especially since these can be updated fairly easily online now you would assume?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:02 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

jscottbowman wrote:
I found the updated Faq here
http://www.blacklibrary.com/faqs-and-errata.html

I found there there the correction that Trolls throw 12" @ str 8.

Nothing mentioned about them mixing them up though, nor the scenario entry point for the dwarves...

As you say I am sure it will be fine to call them by different names if you OK it with your opponent...
It would be nice if they Errata-ed it properly though... especially since these can be updated fairly easily online now you would assume?

Just a further on my thoughts regarding the trolls -

I have been reading through this fan made movie transcript:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WSLu9yYZZk55wi4PgZ904qC2eaHMw-e3jhpGjNGWJMs/edit?hl=en&forcehl=1 ... you'll have to scroll along to the bit with the trolls...

I had thought Bill was OK, but reading through the transcript, it seems the weakest of the trolls with the cold, is referred to as William (Bill) ...

The Troll that sounds in charge is referred to as Tom...
Bert is referred to as the cook.

So here's what I figured out... from the way it is written in the GW Hobbit book:

Tom should have Berts stat line, and and vice versa.

Bert should retain the Roast 'em slowly special rule.
Tom should retain the Squash 'em to Jelly special rule.
Tom should be the one to have the Lingering Cold special rule, not Bert.

Having done all that now swap the names only between Bill and Tom.

I hope that all makes sense and I think that will now put them in line with how the movie plays out. I hope!

I'll check the movie tonight with subtitles on and see who says what...

-----o0o-----

Of course this then conflicts with the novel, as William (Bill) comes across as the one in charge... there doesn't seem to be any hierarchy between the other two...

Last edited by jscottbowman on Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

As far as Im concerned the three could be called Bill Clinton, Austin Powers, and Michael Jordan and Id still just let my opponent use their stat lines. We as players know its unimportant.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:48 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
As far as Im concerned the three could be called Bill Clinton, Austin Powers, and Michael Jordan and Id still just let my opponent use their stat lines. We as players know its unimportant.

LOL, fair point... it just niggled me a bit...

I guess we can forgive GW... they must have been operating partly in the dark when trying to get this book ready in time and released... that's evident from the mix up with the naming of the 'Bolg' miniature - now refered to as a Gundabad orc general...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:05 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

jscottbowman wrote:
they must have been operating partly in the dark when trying to get this book ready in time and released... that's evident from the mix up with the naming of the 'Bolg' miniature - now refered to as a Gundabad orc general...

They were indeed but that one's a little more complicated. The design we knew as Bolg (the first model) was originally meant to be the Azog design before becoming Bolg. Bolg with that appearance was then meant to be the guardian of Dol Guldur in film 2 and duel with Gandalf. PJ then switched Bolg and Azog's roles for film 2 so that Azog would fight Gandalf and Bolg would be on the road chasing the dwarves. Finally, at some point in 2013 PJ must have decided that they wanted their Bolg design to bear more resemblance to Azog and so dropped the prosthetic design we knew and loved as Bolg in favour of the entirely new look CGI design. GW then had to change the name of their Bolg mini when the second film came out and the appearances didn't match.

Fun stuff!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:20 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:

I may have to play with them named just that. And when Jordan goes down I'll declare "HA! I knew you weren't the greatest ball player of all time. LeBron wouldn't have folded like that! "

Lol

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:10 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I have a question particularly regarding the designers note; they remark that you can have the dwarves enter in the same order as they did in the literature, but in the literature the dwarves appear at the campfire one at a time rather than in any sort of a group. I assume that they mean to have a group enter during turn one that only contains the early dwarves and then the rest during the second turn. Obviously, with the time limit set at seven turns you can't have the dwarves enter one every turn, but is there a way to change their entry so that they come in in the same order as the literature (starting with Balin I believe and then so on) so that they take more than two turns to enter and give the trolls more of a fighting chance so that it becomes a fair stand alone scenario?

Dr Grant wrote:
jscottbowman wrote:
they must have been operating partly in the dark when trying to get this book ready in time and released... that's evident from the mix up with the naming of the 'Bolg' miniature - now refered to as a Gundabad orc general...

They were indeed but that one's a little more complicated. The design we knew as Bolg (the first model) was originally meant to be the Azog design before becoming Bolg. Bolg with that appearance was then meant to be the guardian of Dol Guldur in film 2 and duel with Gandalf. PJ then switched Bolg and Azog's roles for film 2 so that Azog would fight Gandalf and Bolg would be on the road chasing the dwarves. Finally, at some point in 2013 PJ must have decided that they wanted their Bolg design to bear more resemblance to Azog and so dropped the prosthetic design we knew and loved as Bolg in favour of the entirely new look CGI design. GW then had to change the name of their Bolg mini when the second film came out and the appearances didn't match.

Fun stuff!

Interestingly, you can see the character that in the book is shown as Bolg originally during the Balin's flashback of the attempted retaking of Moria. When the dwarves rally you can watch young Balin ax him in the back. Then, as is more commonly observed, that character appears again guarding Gandalf in Dol Guldur when Galadriel arrives.
(I apologize if this is stating what everyone already knew. I thought it was interesting if you hadn't already caught that.