All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:49 am

Post subject: Eastgate- Moria vs Dwarves-we used the Balrog :)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:12 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Attached you will find the battle report between jdizzy and chief hugh. Warning, it's awesome.
Attachment:
Battle Report.pdf

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 Post subject: Re: Eastgate- Moria vs Dwarves-we used the Balrog :)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:53 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Nice bat rep... surprised to see the Balrog didn't work out for you... (just a hint of sarcasm).
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:11 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I loved the commentary. ;-) Sounds like you guys had a [sorcerous] blast!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I played against Glory4Gondor yesterday and he used the Balrog as well....this and the GIGANTIC imbalance in forces allowed me to win quite easily as anyone should have with those odds but I have thoughts....

1. Balrog might be worth his points at 350 pts plus 3 might and a special rule. His special rule needs to be along these lines:
Unstoppable Darkness:

'This model may automatically barge if he passes a courage test when moving through enemy lines. All models that the Balrog moves through take a strength 2 hit and are moved at least 1 inch away by the general of that army. The Balrog may not charge the turn he barges. The Balrog may barge through friendly lines as well.'

2. The game was not just very one sided because of the Balrog. Glory took Balrog, Troll Chief, and Troll with Morannons and Orcs. We agreed upon no magic this week after our last battle included The Witch King, Khamul, Undying, two shamans, the Necromancer, Galadriel, Gandalf, Saruman, Thranduil, and Elrond lol.

I ended up taking like 15 ferals, pikes, and crossbows with Lurtz, Ugluk, Captain, and Vrasku. If he has smaller Orc heroes and more troops the Balrog would have cause more chaos. Had I taken Mordor with higher point heroes or anything without cheap Uruk heroes it would have been different.

3. Biggest problems....no heroic combats.....6 inch move.....most expensive model at more than half of smaugs cost with no special rules that are great.

4. When he did clash the lines, he easily murdered Vrasku and anything else he touched he defeated and would have been able to kill instantly. I think in 3 turns he took our Lurtz, Vrasku, and 2 x bowmen. So if he put him into combat first he would have still gotten his points back possibly. He killed 132 points worth in those turns. He was close to my captain and Ugluk too. In 5 more turns he undoubtedly would have killed 300 points worth of things. Main thing is use him with goblins and put him right up against the center of the board with near your enemies closest line. They wont be able to stop him any time soon. Even if they immobilise him, surround him, and 10 guys with strength 4 get double strikes, they still need higher than fight 5 on a tie, and they need all 6s by 4s to do a wound. Mathematically speaking in basic odds..... 3-4 of those dice will be 6s. Lets say they get a lucky 5 dice rolling that high...then you have 50% to get the 4s. Lets say again, over 50% you get 3. Thats 3 wounds after all that effort on a 10 wound model.....

If you have him in a force with all goblins, shamans, groblog, and captains....youre set.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:38 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Honestly, I would be satisfied with an 8" movement. The other ideas are indeed good one's. For me, that 6" movement just blows my mind. You are spot on though, if you engage the Balrog in melee, kiss that fighter good bye, and the 10 wounds are nothing to scoff at. Even his will and resist Magic spell rule make him a force to be reckoned with. I tell you what though, if you find your Balrog prone, it is super demoralizing to win a fight and merely stand up.

I like your house rule ideas.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:27 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Try them out if you can and let me know how they go. Id do it but the only chance I have any time soon to play will be Nova practice. You going?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:34 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I guess balrog move is based on the slowness with which he wanders about in the film... Not a very fast demon
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:59 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
Try them out if you can and let me know how they go. Id do it but the only chance I have any time soon to play will be Nova practice. You going?

I'm not. I'm working on a master's right now. I dont have much extra time.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Makes sense. Well keep up the good work and hopefully Ill see you next year or something.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:04 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

That would be awesome!