All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:47 pm

Post subject: Battle Reporting, Game Notation with Balin's Tomb Scenario
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:34 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I put on Fellowship of the Ring tonight and ran through the Balin's Tomb scenario!

This is the first time playing a scenario - usually I play points matches to the death.

I enjoyed the structure provided by the scenario - especially the objectives and turn limit. I'm thinking about exploring Battle Companies and/or the Isildur's Bane solitaire rules in the near future but hopefully within the context of scenarios or a story arc.

I kept track of the battle with this sheet open on my macbook:
Image (stats hidden per forum rules)

I noted what happened in turns and also updated variable stats like Might, Wounds, etc.

I've often wondered if anyone had any methods for tracking past games similar to chess notation. Obviously, there are a lot more variables here. I'm still trying to determine what's important to track.

I often play both sides of the board so something like this helped a lot with remembering which side had priority and what had happened so far in the turn. It was also interesting to see how many turns had passed vs. how many it felt like had passed. Let me know if you guys have any thoughts or experience with battle notation!

And of course, some action shots (with my duct tape terrain):

In a Green Dragon episode, they discussed the hole in this scenario about blocking the door and noted that the good side basically needs to not park there and block it. I held Aragorn, Gimli, and Boromir near the front lines and only allowed 2-3 goblins on per turn, even pushing some out the door after they warrior they'd been supporting lost their battle.

All the same, let me know about battle notation.

My WIP: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=21545&start=40
 Post subject: Re: Battle Reporting, Game Notation with Balin's Tomb Scenar
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:32 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

That looks like a really useful spreadsheet, I always struggle to track games so this looks like a great idea to try.