All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:55 pm

Post subject: Battle Company Battle Report - Troll Hunt!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:23 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Our Battle Companies fought one another with the added complexity of a Cave Troll!

We played the battle company mission, but then played on to 25% casualties as we felt it would be way too quick with our pretty awesome warriors to just take out the troll.

Blog post with lots of pictures here: https://simbattleboard.blogspot.com/2018/10/troll-hunt-battle-company-battle-report.html

Post subject: Re: Battle Company Battle Report - Troll Hunt!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:59 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Do you think it was worth it to slay the troll as the Haradrim used the distraction to fill the dwarves full of arrows? My niece and I will probably play this one next, simply because auntie's paint desk is full of horses and there's no room to make objectives.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:19 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

GreatKhanArtist wrote:
Do you think it was worth it to slay the troll as the Haradrim used the distraction to fill the dwarves full of arrows? My niece and I will probably play this one next, simply because auntie's paint desk is full of horses and there's no room to make objectives.

Yeah, definitely! To get a normal warrior to become a hero first you have to earn 5xp, then you have to luck out on rolling on the progression chart. Some of those pincushion dwarves have rolled multiple times (more than 10 xp) only to get nothing! Hilda was pretty fresh out (only her second game) and by killing the troll automatically becomes a hero!

Also it was fun and looked cool - the battle reports don’t do a good job of capturing the fun, stress and joy/despair that comes with the dice rolls =)

I’m struggling with dwarves versus the cavalry, but next mission I think I’ll target the horses as much as possible! He also lucked out rolling lots of sixes as arrows usually bounce off shielded dwarves =)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:39 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

You said in your battle report that Troll Hunt seemed too easy for your battle companies. At what points level do you think the scenario would be optimal, for both cooperation and competition to bring the beast down?

I am considering allowing K to field Legolas and myself to field Gimli and doing this one with our companies. We've only played one game. The additions would be for this one scenario and neither Leggy nor Gimli's count any points for their battle company. If they slay the troll, the appropriate army gets the bonus, but their will be no heroic upgrade gained. What do you think?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:02 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

GreatKhanArtist wrote:
You said in your battle report that Troll Hunt seemed too easy for your battle companies. At what points level do you think the scenario would be optimal, for both cooperation and competition to bring the beast down?

I am considering allowing K to field Legolas and myself to field Gimli and doing this one with our companies. We've only played one game. The additions would be for this one scenario and neither Leggy nor Gimli's count any points for their battle company. If they slay the troll, the appropriate army gets the bonus, but their will be no heroic upgrade gained. What do you think?

I know you, like me, are trying to play encouraging, friendly games, so I think that'd work really well - if a little on the easy side. Trolls are pretty tough, but if you surround them and they don't roll a 6 you're doing fine.

I think these monster missions are great fun, but so hard to balance well! I mean, you can always hang back a bit and just shoot it down =)

So we are thinking that we might try again in a bit with a cave drake/dragon beast. The cave troll is 75-85 points depending on how it's put together and a beginner battle company is about 95 points (50 points worth of troops then +15 for three guys). So in theory a single battle company can take on a cave troll without interference at the most basic level.

So going by this, any monster that costs about the same as a single battle company should make for a fun scenario for two battle companies trying to out-do one another.

But we haven't actually tried this out, so who knows really! Take what I'm saying with a big grain of salt!

Let me know how you go though, would love to hear!