All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:00 am

Post subject: Our First Battle Company Game - Redux
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:36 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

It wasn't our very first game, but it was the first game we played with our chosen armies, the ones that will level up at the end. Auntie fielded her hated dwarves against K's shiny new Rivendell Elves.

Why no photos? Since my tablet broke last September, I've been using my phone for photos, but I have been unable to upload them. That and with the photobucket woes, I haven't posted any photos of my WIPs and finished terrain. Also, K is a minor, and as such, there will never be any photos of anything but her rolls and minis.

This time we played Scenario 3, with the simple goal of slaughtering each other wholesale. Once again, it was a bloodbath. We used the blue sticks again, but found that the old blue book had cms in it, so we came to blows a lot sooner. The only thing we changed was shooting distances. The elves got the entire length of the stick and the dwarves got 30cms. We used 2 big pieces of terrain: 2 of the 4ground 3 tree bases with bottle brush pines for the elves and rolling man-sized hills and this really cool old ziterdes foam piece depicting the 3 trolls from the Hobbit frozen into the cliffs. (This piece has been long out of production). I chose these pieces because they travel well and to give each force an advantage. Interestingly, neither force ever fought in the terrain, as K set them up mostly across the perimeter. There were a few man sized bushes in the middle of the table that did block line of sight a few times. Other than that, it was mostly fought on the meadow in the middle.

Highlights: K's sole archer, a hero, killed a dwarf regular first turn. The dwarves tried to seek cover and come to base contact to prevent the good elves from firing into combat. It worked, as most of the game K's archer could only take pot shots at my non-hero archer dwarf. K's one spear hero (she has 2) held off an onslaught of dwarves for several consecutive turns. Trapped by 3 dwarves and one of her own elves, he fended off double To Hits and pushed all the dwarves back, even managing to wound my 2H hero. After 3 or 4 turns, this valiant elf saw his partner spear hero fall and the game end as the elves had been reduced to only 2 models. This guy was a machine! and earned himself the promotion awarded from 2 influence points. He will probably get a bow, as K liked trying to shoot the dwarves to death from a distance. Being a hero, he will be much more likely to do so!

The elves found wounding dwarves to be difficult, despite rolling several 6s throughout the game. The dwarves, for their part, still couldn't damage anything with their arrows. The dwarves saw themselves defeated on several occasions due to the high fight value of the elves. Their 2H axes also contributed to many lost To Hits.

K's wounds have yet to be worked out, as she had to go home before we could do that. She will have to do them before our next match. Auntie's one dead dwarf was resurrected fighting fit and the dwarves spent their influence to gain a regular with axe and shield.

What do our forces look like? Auntie's Moria Reclaimed Dwarves are painted according to the Blood Angels scheme from "How to Paint Citadel Miniatures". Their plate armour follows the WD instructions for the Stormcast Eternals. Their hair follows the dwarves from taleofpainters.com's Hobbit Escape From Goblin Town tutorials. So they are emerald green and gold with pink capes and second clothes. Dwarves are man enough to wear pink!

K's Rivendell Reapers are the standard plastic elves from so long ago. Her spearmen are converted swordsmen, although truth be told, Auntie isn't so great with the knife. The elves use the Citadel Paint app to its fullest; their skin is the one with rakarth flesh as a base, their skirts are Death Guard Armour with Ionrach skin/50% water on the highlights--it's really ethereal and great, their sashes are emerald green and their armour is Auntie's special combo of rhinox hide base, agrax earthshade, and P3 bloodletter, a lovely bloody/rusty coloured paint placed everywhere except for the creases of the armour and on the shoes. Finally, a bit of P3 iridian flesh was used for highlights. Arrows are the same green as the sash and the chainmail and blade are typical silver. The elves were basecoated with poo brown. Their inspiration is in the BGiME conversion issue, except they kept their heads. Very different, but really cool. K loves the scheme. I imagine Gildor's special elves would look really great in this scheme.

Post subject: Re: Our First Battle Company Game - Redux
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:52 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

A great battle report, truth be told.
As much detailed, as it should be, not discouraging someone to read it with too much "talking".

Needless to say, I cheered for the spunky Rivendell elf, who got the promotion.
I'll wait for the next one.

PM for commission work
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:56 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I actually cheered for him too. I decided to give him a horse, as K has been wanting to field cavalry for a while now. I have lots of old Rohan horses and some broken men, so a mounted Rohan archer is going under the knife (he lost his bow in heroic combat) and a plastic elf will be married to his top. You can see this conversion in the old Best of White Dwarf with the Mumakil on the cover. As a bonus, it will save me from trying to put a spear into the hands of my converts.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:13 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

You need to get some photos up! Interested in your paint schemes and conversions.