All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:42 pm

Post subject: First attempt at a Bat Rep: Angmar v. Erebor
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:50 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi all,

My brother and I started this channel has a side thing. We're not sure it will go anywhere, but we were wondering if you guys might be interested in our first (attempt at a) battle report. Constructive criticism is needed.

We haven't done anything like this before and we're trash-house, so feel free to scrutinise if we mess up the rulings.

'Scuse my speech impediment

Nick

https://youtu.be/xBV7bWSpA5s
 Post subject: Re: First attempt at a Bat Rep: Angmar v. Erebor
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:37 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

A very nice first effort, gentlemen. I have to admit, though, I didn't watch the whole thing through because the cameraman was making me seasick. I really liked the board and the unique terrain and the simple conversions on the dwarves. It's not often anyone in the LoTR world paints orange, so that was a nice treat also.

I didn't notice any speech impediment, maybe because I'm hard of hearing and I speak Canadian English. Don't apologize for who you are, if the world doesn't like it, they can suck a lemon.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:46 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thank you very much for your kind words :) We're glad you liked our video, as well as the conversions. Joe converted them, but the orange was my idea :D

He's currently working on a Dale force to ally with my Army of Thror, and they'll all have the sash as a symbol of their alliance.

I'm sorry to hear about the camerawork inducing motion sickness :( I hope we didn't cause too much discomfort. I was thinking while I edited that we sorely need a tripod so we can transition to static shots and controlled pans, perhaps also a dice tray. I'll action that sooner, thanks for bringing it to our attention.

I'm sorry for the late reply, but cheers for the feedback :)

P. S. Thanks for the words of encouragement on my speech, I was trying to enunciate more for the video but in casual conversation it's far more noticeable. It means a lot to know that it isn't impeding on my ability to produce content. :)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:40 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I found it to be an enjoyable watch. I also thought the camera was too lively and would have benefited from a steadier hand. Camera work aside, I think the game had a good pace and with a pithy quality to it which was nice. It didn’t drag on but you guys showed everything important. Nice models too. I enjoyed it.

I noticed a few rules errors that I guess I will mention. The throwing axes are shooting attacks even when used in the move phase which means that after the first model has engaged Gulavhar the other dwarves cannot throw axes when the charge in because they are shooting into a combat and would risk hitting their own troops. Heroic defense is also a fight phase heroic action, meaning that it cannot be used during the move or shoot phase and Gulavhar would not be able to use it to prevent wounds against throwing axes.

Mistakes aside I think it was good work and I look forward to seeing what you guys do in the future.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:27 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi, Thanks for the feedback :)

We're glad you enjoyed the video, as we had a lot of fun making it.

Yeah a lot of our rulings are a bit ambiguous when we play off-camera, which is something we need to rectify, cheers for the clarification. I won't let him pull that Heroic Defence schtick again :D I did think the way we did throwing axes was a bit weird...

Thanks

Nick
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:10 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Nice to see!
I hope you will make more battle reports.
One question I have, when a bunch of Dwarfs charged Gulavhar, they all used their throwing weapon. But, I'm not sure if they are supposed to throw them all at once, because you move them one by one and when one has charged, it count as being in battle and you can hit your own dwarf. At least, that's with shooting and I tougth it's also so with using throwing weapons, but maybe I'm wrong. Do you know the rules about that?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:16 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Cheers :) We've got one lined up

Yeah I can't remember when or why we started doing the Thrown weapon thing. I guess it's an accidental house rule.