All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:06 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
What you could do, if you know a few guys who also play, is make a joint order. That way, you can split the shipping, and, with any luck, your combined purchases could even net you an extra discount depending on where you order from.

that is very good advise but i dont know anyone around who plays LOTR SBG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:30 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Check your White Dwarf for Club locators. I thought there was no-one playing LOTR in Brisbane (silly me) but then found about 5 or so gaming clubs where everyone plays regularily.

Failing that, you can always ask the guys at your GW if they know of any places.

Finally, try and get your mates into it, some are bound to like LOTR in some form.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:00 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I do get my freinds into when they come over (or at least try)and my cousin who actually likes LOTR SBG but isnt old enough to completley understand it :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:13 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I am only 15, and have been painting miniatures for 3 years, im pretty good, but it takes me a long time to finish minis and get them on the table, I live in LA, LOTR gamers seem really rare here, and theres no games-workshop store closer than an hour away, so I really cant game with anyone without having to drive far to do so...and even then, most people around my age are into 40k or Warhammer...
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:41 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
theres no games-workshop store closer than an hour away

Lucky you I Dont have a games workshop in my state and all the gaming clubs i do have are in the top half of the state(a two hour drive :( )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:19 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

i reckon its a pretty good hobby. u have fun with it and have something to show. getting smashed and going out is all good fun but i find its better to get into it when your older. or even better don't. id rather have my kids playing warhammer at home or a gaming club then letting go out at like 14 or 15 and going out getting smashed and risk them getting robbed, bashed, killed stabbed etc. the minis might have swords on them but i doubt it would kill any1. on another note i started when i was 12 and i have recently only got back into it when i was 16 so last year. im amazed at my painting skills in such a short time of actually painting not thinking about buying them and never doing it
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:56 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I guess most people here live within a few miles of a GW or good independent gaming store and so we're a bit privileged and don't appreciate how hard it is for some people to get to a place that sells minis.

But this is where online stores come into the picture. They often sell minis at 10-20% discounts and so any shipping costs are offset by this and it generally works out cheaper. For US customers, you can't go past the WarStore (www.warstore.com) for the prices and shipping is quite reasonable - heck, I've even ordered from them and I live in Australia!

If you can combine orders with friends, brothers or cousins, you will save even more by splitting the shipping costs, so there are ways and means of getting good prices if you can buy online.

But it all depends on the availability of the mighty credit card. And this is where mom and dad come into the picture - especially when you're 12. My son is 13 and regularly wants to buy stuff online, but there's no way I am letting him have a credit card until he has a means of paying it off. So if he wants to buy something then he has to earn the money (or cash in some birthday money) and I buy it for him on my credit card once he's paid me for it.

So good luck with it Glaiber - it's a good hobby and one you can enjoy for many years if you want to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:48 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I'm only 12 and yet I've spent more than 400 Australian dollars on just boxes and that's excluding the MoM and all my blisters, yet I got alot of what I have from my friends, family and Santa (maybe)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:25 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I don't mind younger gamers, but only when they are actually in the mind of a gamer.
Careful with their miniatures, spening time painting them and understanding that they are not just toys.

I am 18 and still consider myself a 'young' gamer. However, I feel that past 17, if you are still gaming, then it is the right hobby for you. Many kids get into it at about 12-14 and then give up after a year or so. Even with gaming clubs etc.

Parents spending money on their kids at this age is fine, I have no problem with it. But it should be in appreciation for work etc. It helps teach kids that as life goes on, you work hard and you get money. Not necessarily a lot of money, but you can reward yourself bit by bit.

I think it is one of the perfect hobbies for a growing mind. Once fully engaged in the hobby, it helps you gain skills in Language, Patience and mathematics. It also adds a degree of creativity to an otherwise totally uncreative mind, the most important part of the hobby for me. The hobby also helps you meet other likeminded people and learn how to build relationships (not necessarily partnerships though!).
I started at a very young age (7 or 8), but I was a railway model enthusiast. That very quickly went out of the window and I began to get 40k and epic 40k along with anything I found at carboots with my parents. My parents very rarely bought things new, that was for very special occaisions such as Christmas or Birthdays. I only painted miniatures up until I was about 10 or 11 when I began to actually game. At 15, I began to earn my own money and used that to buy miniatures.

I am now a member of Abingdon Wargames Club, where kids come and go, so there is always a game of LOTR and there is a group of venerable old gamers where there is always a game of Uncharted Seas or Epic 40,000!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:13 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

very well said there, i agree completely. I do more modelling than gaming, but i do love gaming.

I think its probably one of the best hobbies there is to be honest, it costs alot but if your really dedicated then you wont give up. unless you REALLY can't afford it

check it out XD
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:15 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

goblin_king wrote:
I don't mind younger gamers, but only when they are actually in the mind of a gamer.
Careful with their miniatures, spening time painting them and understanding that they are not just toys.

I am 18 and still consider myself a 'young' gamer. However, I feel that past 17, if you are still gaming, then it is the right hobby for you. Many kids get into it at about 12-14 and then give up after a year or so. Even with gaming clubs etc.

I started at a very young age (7 or 8), but I was a railway model enthusiast. That very quickly went out of the window and I began to get 40k and epic 40k along with anything I found at carboots with my parents. My parents very rarely bought things new, that was for very special occaisions such as Christmas or Birthdays. I only painted miniatures up until I was about 10 or 11 when I began to actually game. At 15, I began to earn my own money and used that to buy miniatures.

sorry for ressurecting this but

first yeeha :D I'm over 18 and busy for some years so it might be the right hobby for my (together with chess)

secondly (and this is the part where I add something meaningfull to avoid any Thread Necromancers (they all say: post must be meaningless in some wording)
I've got a little brother who recently got intrested into my miniatures and always asks me to learn him the game.
Now I wouldn't mind only he's only 8.
I'd love to learn the game to him (and since I'm way to experienced in LOTR perhaps jump towards one of the other systems to learn with him, I'd think Warhammer, though I like Blood Angels theme from 40k)
but I'm afraid he might not have the patience or endurance for this hobby
(in collecting, painting and most importantly keeping up with the hobby)
are there perhaps any councils of people who are more experienced with introducing young people to the game who could help me
(letting him on this site is for the moment not an option, he speaks no English at all)
Basiccaly if we start of I'm gonna buy one of the three starter boxes there are available MoM, AoBR, or BftSP
(MoM would be handy since I've got only the old RotK, combined with bits and pieces I pick up here and at GW, I have got the WOTRrules though)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:52 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Adanedhel wrote:
sorry for ressurecting this but

first yeeha :D I'm over 18 and busy for some years so it might be the right hobby for my (together with chess)

secondly (and this is the part where I add something meaningfull to avoid any Thread Necromancers (they all say: post must be meaningless in some wording)

No they don't...

:wink:

If you want to introduce your brother into gaming, but worry that he lacks focus, why not try breaking him into the hobby gently?

Perhaps try him off with one of the Collectable Miniature games first, like World of Warcraft or Dungeons & Dragons. That way, you can get him interested in actually playing games, without having to worry about building and painting any models beforehand. Also, it's maybe safer as they are all plastic, so less chance of accidental injury or damage.

Once/If he maintains the interest, you could either have him try to re-paint some of the models, or see about starting him off with a plastic box of LotR minis to get him into the practise of cleaning, assembly and painting.

I tried this with Mrs G's wee cousin, we played a few D&D skirmishes to get him interested in gaming, then got him the LotR paintset, as he wanted to paint either Wood Elves or Goblins. I figured Goblins were more forgiving for a beginner.

In saying that, he has shown no interest in them since his xbox live account was renewed...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:15 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yeah xbox live will do that. John’s suggestion is sound, but since you are planning on sticking with this game I don’t see why you wouldn’t buy more LOTR models. I’ve introduced kids to this game before by bringing enough models and terrain to play and then setting up a table. Once he plays a few games he’ll either think its “ok” or he’ll really like it. I wouldn’t spend a lot of money on models for your brother until he’s shown a real interest. You let him play with your stuff. Now I know he’s young enough to possibly break something, but would that really be worse than buying him Mines of Moria only to have him toss it into the back of his closet?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:35 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I understand what you mean about teaching a youngster about the game - it's complex and takes a lot of patience.

My son, who is nearly 7, is interested in learning about "dad's toys" and wants to collect Dwarves for LOTR (and Legion of Everblight for Hordes, Menoth for Warmachine, US Airborne for WWII, Planet Eaters for Monsterpocalypse, and Tyranids for 40K, <= Little Larry Leadhead Jr).

Rather than try to teach him the rules and strategy of a complex game like these, I have started him off on the Pirates of the Crimson Coast collectible game - it's a tabletop wargame that teaches some strategies about achieving the mission objectives, but is fun, dead simple to play and there's no painting involved.

After he's mastered that (and he whups me every game now he has a massive 5-masted ship with killer accuracy), I'll get him into basic, but 'proper' miniatures-based games like Space Hulk and Incursion. Both are simple games with easy-to-learn rules and clear objectives and the minis could be a starting point for further collecting.

I don't have D&D minis as Gaarew suggested, but that would be a good one to start with also I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:48 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Exact the same her dagorlad
Im teaching my younger brother lotr sbg(he's 12)
First the basics and everytime we play we add a rule, so we're making slow progress
We've come to the point i've thaught him what courage test are and stuff.
Which he thinks is stupid (cause he likes mahud warriors and they've only courage 1, so they fleet all the time, and now he's captured my uruk berserkers(also 2attacks but high courage))

but anyway, im learning him it a bit by bit
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:56 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

ok, thx for all the advice, for now Gaarews suggestion seems best to me,
as we have the allfirst version of D&D at home, with yet unpainted miniatures